As a truck driver, which European language is best to learn

I’m going to be a truck driver soon (currently training for class 2) and as a side hobby, I want to learn a new language. My ultimate dream is to become a class 1 driver and drive across Europe. So I figured why not learn a language that will serve me best as a truck driver; French, German or Spanish?

I suppose it will depend on which country I’ll be delivering to most. I don’t know the answer to that, so I’m just asking based on your experience which of those three languages is more likely to serve me best as a truck driver.

SeaOcean:
I’m going to be a truck driver soon (currently training for class 2) and as a side hobby, I want to learn a new language. My ultimate dream is to become a class 1 driver and drive across Europe. So I figured why not learn a language that will serve me best as a truck driver; French, German or Spanish?

I suppose it will depend on which country I’ll be delivering to most. I don’t know the answer to that, so I’m just asking based on your experience which of those three languages is more likely to serve me best as a truck driver.

I would say English first then French and then German.

Polish, then English.

stu675:
Polish, then English.

Polish would be useful to learn driving in England, would get you preferential treatment at most places being as most staff you deal with are Polish!

Seriously, Id say Spanish, know a few lads who drive there regularly.

Learn some basics in all of those languages. Or more if you can.
Hello, yes and no, please and thank-you, how are you?, where is?, parking, office, deliver/load, and some answers you`ll expect, left/right, first/second/traffic lights, stairs, basic times and When!?, and of course, coffee/beer/wine.

To learn any language in depth is worthwhile in itself of course, but depends where you`re going to decide on which one to choose.

French…

Cos I had a very basic grasp of it from school and, if you do Europe, you will almost always be in France. I spent a great deal of time in Spain, therefore that became handy to know. I’ve no idea what’s it’s like now with smartphones and the ability to translate immediately with an app.

What I found more important than language was having the right attitude. Accepting that people in different countries will do things differently. I know that appears obvious but, you’d be amazed at the numbers of ‘brits’ that couldn’t cope with it.

yourhavingalarf:
French…

Cos I had a very basic grasp of it from school and, if you do Europe, you will almost always be in France. I spent a great deal of time in Spain, therefore that became handy to know. I’ve no idea what’s it’s like now with smartphones and the ability to translate immediately with an app.

What I found more important than language was having the right attitude. Accepting that people in different countries will do things differently. I know that appears obvious but, you’d be amazed at the numbers of ‘brits’ that couldn’t cope with it.

Yep, friendly attitude and a smile is a good start anywhere.

I always was amazed at those on the ferry out who always moaned about “Bloody French/Italians/Spanish/Germans” etc. If they didn`t like it, why do it?
Start a conversation expecting a problem, and your sour face will ensure you find one.

Desperanto. :stuck_out_tongue:

English. Very loudly and very slowly

I think that most British people could improve their English! Use Reverso or another translator on your tablet. Why do Class 2 if you want to go over the water go straight to class one.

switchlogic:

While prodding them in the chest with your finger, works every time!

switchlogic:

^^^^
YOU BEAT ME TO IT

:grimacing:

Like already mentioned learn a couple of basics i.e hello, thank you etc and you will get by. It’s easier pick for Europeans to pick English as they can use that abroad in other Euro countries if needed for backup as opposed to us pick another language that works in one location.

For example, my French cousin speaks fluent English and used that in Germany whilst still in school to book her class on a trip into a hotel as the hotelier didn’t speak French but knew a little English.

I spend more time in Germany then other EU countries so try a pick up a bit more to figure out menu’s easier so learn words like chicken, pork etc.

Google translate helps, just use the camera on the menu and it will translate most of it so you know roughly what will turn up on the plate.

mrginge:
Like already mentioned learn a couple of basics i.e hello, thank you etc and you will get by. It’s easier pick for Europeans to pick English as they can use that abroad in other Euro countries if needed for backup as opposed to us pick another language that works in one location.

For example, my French cousin speaks fluent English and used that in Germany whilst still in school to book her class on a trip into a hotel as the hotelier didn’t speak French but knew a little English.

I spend more time in Germany then other EU countries so try a pick up a bit more to figure out menu’s easier so learn words like chicken, pork etc.

Google translate helps, just use the camera on the menu and it will translate most of it so you know roughly what will turn up on the plate.

Chevaux or horse

Why do Class 2 if you want to go over the water go straight to class one.

My thoughts exactly, unlikely to go very far driving class 2 & wasting loads of money by not going directly for class 1.
Not that you will get work going abroad as a new pass anyway maybe in 5 years!

alamcculloch:

I’m doing it for two reasons. First, I need some experience. I think it’s going to be difficult to get a job directly as a class 1 driver. So I want to pick up some HGV experience (6 months perhaps), and also gain the trust of the agencies I’ll work for.

My second reason is the money. It cost double the money to train for class 1. I’d rather save up the extra money while working as an HGV driver than what I am doing now which is warehouse operative.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. It’s difficult to answer because I could work anywhere. I’ll definitely learn the basics of these languages but I’m also going to focus on one just because I’m interested

SeaOcean:

alamcculloch:

I’m doing it for two reasons. First, I need some experience. I think it’s going to be difficult to get a job directly as a class 1 driver. So I want to pick up some HGV experience (6 months perhaps), and also gain the trust of the agencies I’ll work for.

My second reason is the money. It cost double the money to train for class 1. I’d rather save up the extra money while working as an HGV driver than what I am doing now which is warehouse operative.

Seems sensible.
If you get a permanent job, you might get lucky enough to find an employer to train you up for artics.
(But don`t hold ypour breath :smiley: )

mrginge:

Google translate is probably the worst translation app around, as it translates to an Americanised version of the language, with Spanish and Portuguese for example a misplaced A or O can make the translation mean something else. DeepL translate is a lot better grammatically than google translate

switchlogic:

And don’t forget to stick an “O” on the end of every word that you speak, especially if you’re talking to a Spaniard, ie: pinto beero,
For examples of portuguese words, simply using something like “Com licenca você fala inglês” will ask them excuse me, do you speak English. Especially due to their education system the majority of people under 40yrs speaks fluent English. My favourite portuguese words are variations of the word “Foda”
inc: Foda se, É Fodido, Estou fodido

English will get you by in most countries,especially now with the younger\internet generation.German is good to know anywhere east of France\Spain,Many people in the Benelux\Eastern Europe\Balitics\Balkerns\Greece\ Turkey\Scandinavia speak a bit of German,especially the older generation,[from the war\communist time] & from the many guestworkers who have worked in Germany through the years.