Culina strikes again. Morrisons handed over a year early

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2023/ … o-stobart/

Morrisons has terminated its transport contract with Wincanton “with immediate effect” and handed the entire operation over to Stobart, a year earlier than its original agreed length.

In a message from the supermarket’s leadership team to managers on 16 March and seen by motortransport.co.uk, Morrisons said the contract had ended and that “all logistics transport operations in Stockton, Wakefield, Gadbrook and Willow Green will move to Eddie Stobart, part of the Culina Group.

“The planning operations teams in these sites will transfer back to Morrisons.”

The message added: “We will support the TUPE process alongside Eddie Stobart and Wincanton for the transport and planning teams.”

The five-year contract, understood to be worth £70m per annum in turnover, was originally handed to Wincanton in 2019 and incorporated three of the supermarket’s sites.

In 2020 Morrisons handed it additional transport and vehicle maintenance operations at its Willow Green logistics premises in Bridgwater.

In Wincanton’s financial results for 2020, the 3PL said revenue in its retail grocery division had increased by 26% partly due to the Morrisons deal, as well as new contract wins with Co-op and Sainsbury’s.

The surprise early termination of the contract will be another headache for Wincanton, which issued a profits warning earlier this month after it lost a major contract with HM Revenue and Customs.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

We share a site with wincanton, it baffles me how they win so many contracts to start with. Drivers may aswell have spurs on their boots absolute cowboy outfit.

Now relatively calm period of the covid crisis is over and the cost of living crisis is in full swing any current or upcoming contract negotiations are going to be a blood bath. Stobart bring a machine gun to most knife fights unfortunately.

How do they screw up a contract. Too many silly rules at their places. Stobarts can’t be that bad if they get the jobs done.

I’m guessing that nobody at Morrisons looked at how well using Stobarts went for Tesco.

In 2 years time…

Morrisons ends contract early with Stobarts…moves on to next nationwide haulier on the list. Unfortunately the pointy shoes in the finance departments only see one thing, they seem oblivious to the additional cost to business the cockups of these companies are causing compared to what their in house haulage used to.

I’m trying to figure out why DHL is in the morrisons site at wakefield (gate 3)

peirre:

DHL do the Safeway contract for Morrisons.

The giveaway word in all this is TUPE. While it’s a fine idea in principle it means the new organisation has to take the deadbeats along with the good uns. Which means that usually the people who weren’t up to running and/or doing the job in the first place are the very same people who will be tasked with doing it still.

Sure, some new management might come along, but it’s very difficult to change a culture that’s been in place for a while (and I’m speaking from personal experience).

I thought they had a Stobart office in Gadbrook anyway?

Dafproblems:

peirre:

DHL do the Safeway contract for Morrisons.

Deliveries to Morrison Dailys and Mcolls. However they don’t have a fridge or freezer so it’s ambient only.

Rumour is - the contract for this is up in July.

Conor:
I’m guessing that nobody at Morrisons looked at how well using Stobarts went for Tesco.

In 2 years time…

Morrisons ends contract early with Stobarts…moves on to next nationwide haulier on the list. Unfortunately the pointy shoes in the finance departments only see one thing, they seem oblivious to the additional cost to business the cockups of these companies are causing compared to what their in house haulage used to.

The boys are back in town are`nt they ?

DHL did`nt last too long @ Goole, and Stobart/Culina were invited back in :open_mouth:

This revolving door situation with employees being TUPE’d multiple times to various employers leaves these people in an unfortunate pensions situation surely? Is it better to transfer into possibly a worse pension scheme, or to freeze the previous one, or to possibly transfer it into one’s own scheme? Then thirty or forty years later trying to trace all of the various schemes involved. And the only way to sort each TUPE pension decision is likely to be to get professional advice and to have to pay for it. Meanwhile various multi-million pound companies trouser a fortune in savings or profits.

Supermarket work will become a poisoned challis
and no one will want it

I have a friend who works for Morrisons at the Bridgewater site he reckons Stobart won’t be taking over there on account of the lack of low bridges in the area.

I just don’t get all these fingers in pies etc , wincanton doing this Stobarts doing that but subbing it to DHL etc etc , why don’t Morrison’s do Morrison’s work etc .

Also why are these companies who mess these contracts up so poor .
Is it poor standard of drivers , poor managers etc etc it just seems like when you mention these type of companies like Wincanton & DHL doing somebodies work people always seem to call it a ■■■■ show .

^^
They obviously are poor but it doesn’t help when a lorry turns up at the store with chilled to find that there is one delivering ambient on the bay tipping with another carrying eg. clothing waiting. Muggins then waits in the parking area but the store turnaround time only starts when he passes a beam near the gate on the way through it. So this lorry is then late returning to the RDC and maybe has had recycling foisted upon it because the driver cannot refuse it unless he has a collection to do. Driver then gets to the recycling warehouse to find a 20 minute queue for a bay and the place absolutely rammed. As per normal he has to reload cages from the recycling centre while dodging mountains of recycling and shippers blocking his way. The store meets its turnaround target; the RDC flags up as late at least twice, delivering to store and however many later runs were affected because of late trailer loading or late departure from RDC.

Now add that the RDC docks and chillers are absolutely rammed with the likes of Stawberries, baguettes, charcoal, lettuce, booze, ice cream and barbecue meat still coming in because it has been ordered by the Supermarkets computer, but the weather has changed and they are struggling to take in and reload enough outgoing tins of soup, fresh veg, joints of beef and sticky chocolate puddings which are now on the loading sheets.

mike68:
I have a friend who works for Morrisons at the Bridgewater site he reckons Stobart won’t be taking over there on account of the lack of low bridges in the area.

:smiley:

simcor:
https://motortransport.co.uk/blog/2023/03/22/wincanton-woes-mount-as-morrisons-switches-70m-transport-contract-to-stobart/

Morrisons has terminated its transport contract with Wincanton “with immediate effect” and handed the entire operation over to Stobart, a year earlier than its original agreed length.

In a message from the supermarket’s leadership team to managers on 16 March and seen by motortransport.co.uk, Morrisons said the contract had ended and that “all logistics transport operations in Stockton, Wakefield, Gadbrook and Willow Green will move to Eddie Stobart, part of the Culina Group.

The message added: “We will support the TUPE process alongside Eddie Stobart and Wincanton for the transport and planning teams.”

The five-year contract, understood to be worth £70m per annum in turnover, was originally handed to Wincanton in 2019 and incorporated three of the supermarket’s sites.

In 2020 Morrisons handed it additional transport and vehicle maintenance operations at its Willow Green logistics premises in Bridgwater.

In Wincanton’s financial results for 2020, the 3PL said revenue in its retail grocery division had increased by 26% partly due to the Morrisons deal, as well as new contract wins with Co-op and Sainsbury’s.

The surprise early termination of the contract will be another headache for Wincanton, which issued a profits warning earlier this month after it lost a major contract with HM Revenue and Customs.

Another one announced, Great Bear taking Weetabix transport work off Wincanton.

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2023/ … wincanton/

Profit warning announced as said above, they no longer have Heinz transport work, (although I think they have the warehousing still), Morrisons’ contract being taken back early, government fuel contract. I don’t know anything about shares, but the graph if you look at their share prices has dropped more or less non stop this year.

Is something going wrong there or are they trying to shed all their transport work and concerntrate on the place where the money might be - storage and warehousing.

Didn’t Wincanton buy some e-fulfilment company a couple of years back, maybe that’s where they think the money is.

simcor:
Wincanton woes mount as Morrisons switches £70m transport contract to Stobart | Article | Motor Transport

simcor:
https://motortransport.co.uk/blog/2023/03/22/wincanton-woes-mount-as-morrisons-switches-70m-transport-contract-to-stobart/

At facebok read who Culina grab Weetabix from Wincanton.