Insurance and agency

Do you have business insurance on your car if you work for agencies?

You wouldn’t need it, only commuting cover.

stu675:

This is something most people get wrong. Commuting only covers you to a single place of work.

Macski:
Do you have business insurance on your car if you work for agencies?

Unless you’re like me and only work for one agency client then yes you need business insurance. Commuting only covers you to a single place of work.

You need what is called Class 1 business insurance which covers you for travelling to multiple places of work. The good news is that I’ve usually found that insurance companies will give you Class 1 for either no cost or very little altohugh adding it mid term they’ll likely charge an admin fee. It’s not like Class 3 which you need for courier work like those people who drive around in their cars delivering Amazon etc or and pizza delivery and you need to sell a kidney to afford.

Conor:

stu675:

This is something most people get wrong. Commuting only covers you to a single place of work.

I’ve never heard of a driver working for more than one agency per day. Therefore, you are commuting to a single place of work per day. Driving for work means you could be driving all day like a rep.

Also if you have a car on hire purchase, don’t forget to tell them that you don’t own the car, when you are getting your quote. You are not the legal owner until you finish paying for it, this can make a big difference to premiums.

Conor:

stu675:

Does it?

Bit awkward for people when they change jobs more than once in a lifetime eh?

Surely “insurance cover for Commuting purposes” is more about “using your car to get to work” rather than “where that work is”… :question: :question:

In any case, “Fully Comp” would surely trump all of that, releasing the need to be singling out particular commutes, or even a single defined commute - is in the realm of “Third Party Only” type cover, which surely hardly anyone uses these days?

I mean that if insurance cover stayed THAT complicated - you’d have to get additional cover to switch from Aldi to Lidl that involves a commute across the river…

“Some Rules are made to be broken” - I reckon…

As for Admiral insurance - I’ve had them try to refuse to pay me out when rear-ended by their drunk driver, and "we don’t pay out, because our insured driver hit you uninsured, as he hit you having broken his contract with us"… No dice. Police advised me to prosecute in order to get my pound of flesh - and so I did. :imp:

AI are a multi-billion firm with the same ethical outlook as Mickey Mouse, and about as reliable. :angry:

I’d suggest a number of people on this thread start to read their insurance documents. Yes you are covered for commuting to one place of work on most policies. Not multiple places of work unless otherwise stated. So yes most agency drivers would need business cover.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

stu675:

Conor:

stu675:

I’ve never heard of a driver working for more than one agency per day. Therefore, you are commuting to a single place of work per day. Driving for work means you could be driving all day like a rep.

It does not specify a single place of work per day, it says a single place of work. As in one job, if you have 2 jobs then again you need business insurance as you travel to 2 different work places.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

This is exactly how it is worded on my current insurance certificate.

Permitted Use:
Business for policyholder only
Use for all drivers for social, domestic and pleasure purposes
and travel between their own home and permanent
place of business or employment.
Use for the policyholder only in connection with their own
business or profession.”

As ever with insurance companies the devil is in the detail and wording. I’m the policy holder, so I’m covered for business use. My wife who is named on the policy is not covered for business use. Note commuting is covered for permanent place of business or employment. Who knows how an agency driver is covered by that statement!

Business cover is for the act of driving for business, going to see a client for example or going to pick up supplies.
Commuting cover is for the act of going to work. IF! your policy states permanent, then I would suggest, e.g. not one building site one week, another next week.
If you have a PAYE job with Aldi in the morning and Lidl in the afternoon (going home for lunch) then the definition of that in the English language is commuting to a single permanent place of work. Any journey you are on falls into that definition. The fact that you are going all over the place will be taken into account by your estimated annual mileage. Adding business cover will not mean that you are more likely to be covered because the journeys do not fall into the business definition.

Think of it as if you can claim the mileage for business purposes. If Colingl ,say, worked at a different agency every week he would be covered under commuting not business because he would never be able to claim mileage unless his agency sent him to some unusual place to pick up a truck or whatever.

Winseer:
Bit awkward for people when they change jobs more than once in a lifetime eh?

Exactly!

In any case, “Fully Comp” would surely trump all of that,

Complete red herring. You could have fully comp for only SDP.
Comp/3rd Party is how you’re covered
Commuting/Business is what you’re covered for.

Ain’t me who made it up, it was the insurance companies when I asked.

Ring your own insurance company and ask. Tell them you do agency work where you’ll be at a different place each week or sometimes even each day, see what they say.