Automatic trailer brakes

Ok I know why they do it, but they can be a complete pain in the ■■■■. :smiling_imp: …the ones where the red button pops when air supply gets to a certain level.

If your air goes down, and the red button pops out, you have to jump out to get the brakes off…just a hassle.
Could also be a bit awkward if you woke up to being robbed or whatever outnunmbered, and you wanted to do a runner, but again air ran down overnight.
Also (as I found out one morning ) if you park overnight somewhere and have your tank buried in nettles in the hedge, to deter scrotes, and you can’t move in the morning,.especially dodgy wearing shorts and t.shirt. :unamused:

Are you in training to take over from dozy?

Ive always thought the trailer break would make it easy for someone to hijack a truck.You could be stopped at a give way or traffic lights and someone puts the trailer break on,thats it,you not going anywhere

We’ve got trailers with park brakes that apply automatically when the red line is disconnected, but never had one yet apply itself, are these some new fangled bloody thing (like electric park brakes) that no one asked for prior to the clever buggers dreaming this ■■■■■■■■ up.

Juddian:
We’ve got trailers with park brakes that apply automatically when the red line is disconnected, but never had one yet apply itself, are these some new fangled bloody thing (like electric park brakes) that no one asked for prior to the clever buggers dreaming this ■■■■■■■■ up.

same type of thing, take the red airline off and trailer park brake button applys instantly. if your connected up overnight and have an airleak it will put itself on once the air drops below a certain level too. similarly if the air is drained when connecting up, you need to wait for the air to build to a certain level before you can push the handbrake button in. at least that’s how our montracons work

When you think about it,what other vehicle on the road would you be able to disable immediatly.They wouldnt be able to put the park brake on a security van carrying money.We carry valuable loads too.
Its something that needs to be looked at.I dont know what the answer is to this ,but its not acceptable the way things are.

Sploom:
When you think about it,what other vehicle on the road would you be able to disable immediatly.They wouldnt be able to put the park brake on a security van carrying money.We carry valuable loads too.
Its something that needs to be looked at.I dont know what the answer is to this ,but its not acceptable the way things are.

The hijack scene you mention is no different now than it has always been, ever since mechanical handbrake ratchets became obsolete for trailers.

Suppose for this reason alone air leaks should be kept on top of.
I’m sure when I used to go with my dad one of the scanias had two handbrakes on dash? I just assumed one was for the trailer? Never asked lol.
Can see it being a pita in the nettles situation!

Your trailer brake setups seem to be unnecessarily complex. We have maxibrakes on the trailer, same as on the drive axles. As soon as the air supply is interupted, be that by disconnection of the air lines, operation of the tractor protection valve (in the cab) or a major failure of the of supply lines, the trailer brakes apply.
As the trailer brakes apply automatically when the lines from the prime mover are disconnected, the need for any supplementary brake is negated.

Star down under.:
As the trailer brakes apply automatically when the lines from the prime mover are disconnected, the need for any supplementary brake is negated.

For Pete’s sake don’t try putting common sense back to the industry, the elfnsafety mob will be swooning in the ailes.

Sploom:

Grab red line and cut it. You ain`t going nowhere, no time soon.

No system is perfect, and the current system seems pretty good to me. It is possible to get into trouble with it, but in the normal run of things, it is perfectly acceptable.

Star down under.:
Your trailer brake setups seem to be unnecessarily complex. We have maxibrakes on the trailer, same as on the drive axles. As soon as the air supply is interupted, be that by disconnection of the air lines, operation of the tractor protection valve (in the cab) or a major failure of the of supply lines, the trailer brakes apply.

The tractor protection valve, how does that work?

md1987:

Star down under.:

Cuts air supply and signal to the trailer.

There are and were several different types of these all carrying out a similar and other functions. As ever US and Australian air plumbing is different to European and even old style UK plumbing. The tractor protection valve is combined with the trailer relay control valve in Europe and is mounted in the tractor chassis. In the days of three line air it was known as the most complicated valve in the system.

Star down under.:

md1987:

Star down under.:

So a park brake for the trailer in the cab?

cav551:
There are and were several different types of these all carrying out a similar and other functions. As ever US and Australian air plumbing is different to European and even old style UK plumbing. The tractor protection valve is combined with the trailer relay control valve in Europe and is mounted in the tractor chassis. In the days of three line air it was known as the most complicated valve in the system.

When did the 3 line air system end? Remember the mechanic I served my time with telling me about it. Was it a blue air line?

As SDU says. Over here, the pressure drops and on come the brakes. Build it back up and they come off. When I was driving we didn’t have to ■■■■ about with buttons on the trailer. The closest I’ve come to that was on the B59 Volvo buses that had the broms brake, but that was on the dash.

md1987:

Star down under.:

md1987:

Star down under.:

So a park brake for the trailer in the cab?

It can be used as such.

peterm:
As SDU says. Over here, the pressure drops and on come the brakes. Build it back up and they come off. When I was driving we didn’t have to ■■■■ about with buttons on the trailer. The closest I’ve come to that was on the B59 Volvo buses that had the broms brake, but that was on the dash.

We don’t have to ■■■■ about with buttons on the trailer in the vast majority of cases, I never do.

We just have a button so that you can apply the handbrake whilst the airlines are attached, I never need to use it, only if I wanted to split couple would I, and we have a shunt button, so if you just want to move a trailer around a yard or screw it round and you don’t want to stretch your airlines, so long as there’s enough air in the trailer tank you can release the brakes whilst the airlines aren’t connected.

But some do have an automatic parking brake that you have to knock off, as per the post, but I’ve never used 1

So, most of the H&S stuff these days, states:
“ manually apply trailer park brake, automatic trailer brake is for emergency purposes only”

So my question is why have automatic trailer brakes when you disconnect the red air line, if it can’t be relied on?