Truck stop of the year

The award goes to.

spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/tr … e-9304085/

Never stop there myself so I have no idea if any good.

Good food and right money toilets very clean but the shower out the back either burns or freezes you and the black mould nearly closes your throat and you come out with more pubic hair than you went in with .

I stayed at Chippenham the other night, first time apart from one Fri night where everything was closed.
I suppose I’m a bit late to the party, and stating what everybody else knows, but I was well impressed, spotlessly clean, good shower which lasted about 10 mins,.good stocked shop,…even a kids play area which my kids would have loved while coming with me in the old days.

Not sure if there was a bar,.as I had a couple of bottles of Bud in my fridge…while watching Dragons Den. :blush: …living the dream eh? :laughing:

Got a good meal, didn’t, go for the greedy bast special :smiley: the giant mixed grill, just got the ham egg chips and beans,…and none of yer cheap plastic ham either,with a mug of tea,.all reasonably priced.

The parking was a bit ‘neighbour’s mirror unfriendly’ when pulling out in morning, but seeing as I can actually 'drive, not much of a prob. :smiley:

Also noticed that Gilders have their new facilities open at Tewkes, including a bar I think,.but I was in too much of a hurry to park up to watch the Toon beat Wolves, that I never even noticed until.I went for a shower on Sat morning. :unamused:
(Also noticed pub across road had re.opened.)

The other basic truckstops like Truckers rest,.and the ■■■■ poor 70s style time warp. ones like Lincoln Farm should take note…these are the quality of factilities that we should not just be offered but demand in fact. :bulb:

Punchy Dan:
Good food and right money toilets very clean but the shower out the back either burns or freezes you and the black mould nearly closes your throat and you come out with more pubic hair than you went in with .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Save me it I fancy making a toupee for myself. :laughing:

Sorry, Robroy, I think Chippenham is very overrated. It’s expensive, service is slow, the menu is limited and pretentious (they need to decide if they’re a transport cafe or a chic bistro) and one of the staff reminds me of Hilda Ogden with her out of tune “singing”. Getting parked up can be difficult due to the layout and they don’t segregate fridges. I do understand though that they are hoping to expand the parking area. I never go there in daytime as it takes you ages to get served due to the dithering pensioners on bus trips. On the plus side, the shop is good, as are the showers, and the staff are friendly.

I’ll take Trucker’s Rest, Midway or Bridgewater over Chippenham any day as far as the actual cafe side is concerned. If I wanted fine dining I’d go to a pub or restaurant.

Sidevalve:
Sorry, Robroy, I think Chippenham is very overrated. It’s expensive, service is slow, the menu is limited and pretentious (they need to decide if they’re a transport cafe or a chic bistro) and one of the staff reminds me of Hilda Ogden with her out of tune “singing”. Getting parked up can be difficult due to the layout and they don’t segregate fridges. I do understand though that they are hoping to expand the parking area. I never go there in daytime as it takes you ages to get served due to the dithering pensioners on bus trips. On the plus side, the shop is good, as are the showers, and the staff are friendly.

I’ll take Trucker’s Rest, Midway or Bridgewater over Chippenham any day as far as the actual cafe side is concerned. If I wanted fine dining I’d go to a pub or restaurant.

Ok, so because they try and update the food and meal quality you ain’t happy?
I found the menu ok tbh,…as for overpriced the meal I had was good quality, I would rather pay a little more for that quality than paying for cheap (and usually greasy ) crap.

I was served right away, and Hilda must have been at home servicing Stan that night :smiley: (showing my age :smiley: ) ,.and I had no coffin dodgers on coach trips to contend with either, but it was about 6 pm.

Truckers Rest? I would describe as one point above adequate, food cheap.abd cheerful, ok, but nothing to write home about,.reasonably clean but basic…park is like battlefield of Somme in winter, Operation Desert Storm in summer.

Bridgewater…yeh spotless, food ok but cheap ingredients, frozen veg,.cardboard chips etc, but good fruit crumbles.

Just shows everybody’s choices and tastes are different bud.

Would…

Never be Swindon.

I’ve never stopped for the night but, over the years I’ve decided to give it another chance to impress and it every time, it fails.

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

FTFY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:
Cheers for that, but that looks more like a beret than a syrup, more Frank Spencer than say …a 90s David Ginola :laughing:

Formula one Truck Stop in Ellesmere Port. They have really thought of the driver. Showers are clean and the lounge puts some cinemas to shame.

robroy:
I found the menu ok tbh,…as for overpriced the meal I had was good quality, I would rather pay a little more for that quality than paying for cheap (and usually greasy ) crap.

I was served right away, and Hilda must have been at home servicing Stan that night :smiley: (showing my age :smiley: ) ,.and I had no coffin dodgers on coach trips to contend with either, but it was about 6 pm.

Truckers Rest? I would describe as one point above adequate, food cheap.abd cheerful, ok, but nothing to write home about,.reasonably clean but basic…park is like battlefield of Somme in winter, Operation Desert Storm in summer.

Bridgewater…yeh spotless, food ok but cheap ingredients, frozen veg,.cardboard chips etc, but good fruit crumbles.

Absolutely. Here’s my own review of Chippenham from Tripadvisor;

I’m a lorry driver, and I do use Chippenham myself occasionally for work; in many respects it’s one of the better truckstops in the UK. It’s clean, the staff are good, the showers amongst the best I’ve ever used and it’s popular to the point of over-subscription, you have to get there early to find a space.

I usually eat there if I’m parked up for the evening; the menu is not particularly extensive but the cottage pie is legendary, and I’ve never been disappointed by it.

So today, accompanied by my partner to whom I’d been extolling the virtues of this establishment, I went in for breakfast; and it was distinctly average to the point of being lousy. Not only did it take a fair while to arrive (and the place was not particularly busy) but I strongly suspect the bacon had been microwaved; I note from comments below that I am not the only one to think thus. It was grey, tasteless and in fact looked distinctly undercooked.

The food isn’t exactly cheap either; the breakfast is £6.50 and drinks are extra. One sausage, two rashers of bacon of which i only ate one because of the above, a hash brown, a fried egg (griddled so runny on top) a small pot of beans and half a tomato. The latter two had obviously also been microwaved, okay they were hot but it’s not how I would offer a tomato.

This place needs to sharpen its act up if I’m going to bother eating there again. The shop is well stocked and there’s a lot of good things about the place; but hey, Chippenham, you’re a transport cafe and please don’t forget that. Just because you make a mint out of us parking there doesn’t mean you can ignore the basics.

And from previous experience; either one of your staff needs a singing coach or you should consider providing earplugs. :wink:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserR … land.html#

You can read through the other reviews and see that I was by no means the only one to be unimpressed; and I’m not a particularly picky person.

I first used Chippenham trucks stop (Silvey Trucks top,if I remember correctly)in about 1994, for a few years, typical trucks top then. Decent food, toilets, and able to park when you arrived. Seen the change start, when the car parking became more prominent, then the farm shop arrived, and then the cafe went “upmarket” (i.e. expensive). Final nail in the coffin, was the renting out of half the parking to Jenkinson, and the unavailability of parking after about 1500 hrs.

You can’t even pull in for a meal, because of the lack of space…

Sidevalve:

robroy:

Absolutely. Here’s my own review of Chippenham from Tripadvisor;

I’m a lorry driver, and I do use Chippenham myself occasionally for work; in many respects it’s one of the better truckstops in the UK. It’s clean, the staff are good, the showers amongst the best I’ve ever used and it’s popular to the point of over-subscription, you have to get there early to find a space.

I usually eat there if I’m parked up for the evening; the menu is not particularly extensive but the cottage pie is legendary, and I’ve never been disappointed by it.

So today, accompanied by my partner to whom I’d been extolling the virtues of this establishment, I went in for breakfast; and it was distinctly average to the point of being lousy. Not only did it take a fair while to arrive (and the place was not particularly busy) but I strongly suspect the bacon had been microwaved; I note from comments below that I am not the only one to think thus. It was grey, tasteless and in fact looked distinctly undercooked.

The food isn’t exactly cheap either; the breakfast is £6.50 and drinks are extra. One sausage, two rashers of bacon of which i only ate one because of the above, a hash brown, a fried egg (griddled so runny on top) a small pot of beans and half a tomato. The latter two had obviously also been microwaved, okay they were hot but it’s not how I would offer a tomato.

This place needs to sharpen its act up if I’m going to bother eating there again. The shop is well stocked and there’s a lot of good things about the place; but hey, Chippenham, you’re a transport cafe and please don’t forget that. Just because you make a mint out of us parking there doesn’t mean you can ignore the basics.

And from previous experience; either one of your staff needs a singing coach or you should consider providing earplugs. :wink:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserR … land.html#

You can read through the other reviews and see that I was by no means the only one to be unimpressed; and I’m not a particularly picky person.

Yep , I see what you mean.
But you can only speak as you find.
The day I went in I was impressed, maybe I’ll go in next time and have a negative experience, who knows eh?
If it is I’ll come back on here.
Just as you say you ain’t picky, with me I hate poor service and standards, of which I experience a lot in this country, but I’ll wait and see next time as I say.

Anybody else got an opinion on Chippenham?

I’ve stopped there a few times on a night out.
Found food was actually quite nice had pasta.
Nice big plate full. Place nice and clean.
Only thing is I arrived can’t remember exact time wasn’t to late maybe 7ish parked up ok but cafe was shutting shortly they made me a meal which was fine .by time finished it showers etc were closing .
Only bad thing really should stay open a bit later

But food was nice. Not really one for eating normal truck stop food stuff. Or something and chips .cooked breakfast etc.
I not a health freak but prefer something nice and substantial for my tea. Nice mixed grill. Pasta . Chicken etc . Or pie with mash n veg instead of chips as only option.

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

Oooo! Is that the real Robroy? Not a bad looking chap, is he? :open_mouth:

[SHOUTS] OI, MAOSTER, you’ve met the bloke, tell us the truth! :stuck_out_tongue: [/SHOUTS]

Lucy:

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

Oooo! Is that the real Robroy? Not a bad looking chap, is he? :open_mouth:

[SHOUTS] OI, MAOSTER, you’ve met the bloke, tell us the truth! :stuck_out_tongue: [/SHOUTS]

Cheers Lucy :wink: :laughing: I’m flattered. :sunglasses: :smiley:
Maoster will just ignore this part of the thread, giving me any type of compliment will cause him a lot of pain. :laughing:

Having met him in person, I can well imagine! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m ignoring this in the hope that it will go away.

the maoster:
I’m ignoring this in the hope that it will go away.

Don’t worry I’ll keep reminding you. :laughing: :laughing: