Flat bed trailors

I have been asked to take a flat bed trailor upto north yorkshire. Im guessing it will have a tractor unit on it or possibly 2. should there be a plate on the trailor telling me the weight of the trailor on its own and combined weight. I have also been told it will be loaded and secured for me if its secured with chains how does one check they are tight enough.

i realise these are silly questions but as i have never done it before its better to ask advice.

Is there…

Any way you could avoid doing this?

Not trying to be flippant but, you really do need to know what you’re doing with flats.

I suggest you spend a few hours looking on Ytube, I’m sure there’ll be some useful pointers on there as well as helpful advice from the peeps here.

don’t forget to measure the height of your load…seen a few instances of tractor’s diggers and the like hitting bridges,over the years!

Silly questions do exist, but youre asking sensible questions. . Two tractor units? Prob under 16t. Check weights on all plates, but doubtful weightll be an issue.
As said above find out about how to use chains.
Drop all the air out of the unit suspension before securing them. If you do chains up tight, and the unit then looses air and drops down the chains are useless. Chocks under wheels is good practice too. Straps around wheels. If one is loaded backwards beware of air/wind behind spoilers etc. They are designed to drive forwards, not back!
Repeat: find out how to use chains yourself. If you need to adjust them en-rte then you need to do it.

Franglais:
Drop all the air out of the unit suspension before securing them. .

This had me confused, until I think you mean the loads, rather than the drive unit.

stu675:

Franglais:
Drop all the air out of the unit suspension before securing them. .

This had me confused, until I think you mean the loads, rather than the drive unit.

Yes, exactly so.

cooper1203:
should there be a plate on the trailor telling me the weight of the trailor on its own and combined weight.

Nope. Don’t worry though, as long as the rig is rated for 40 tonnes (3 axle trailer and 4x2 unit) or 44 tonnes (3+ 6x2) you’re not going anywhere near that. If it was a unit and trailer used mainly for moving portacabins and static caravans, so is a one or two axle trailer and two axle unit, then it could get a bit dodgy as some are only plated for 32 tonnes.

I have also been told it will be loaded and secured for me if its secured with chains how does one check they are tight enough.

Same way you do with ratchet straps, give them a shake. If they don’t feel tight they’re not and then you’ll need to tighten them up. Typically chains will use a ratchet mechanism that has a handle on it. How to tighten them.

Moving vehicles with wheels you can use ratchet straps You run the straps horizontally behind the top of the wheel, bring them out and cross them over on the way down to the chock rail.

i realise these are silly questions but as i have never done it before its better to ask advice.

Only silly thing is not saying owt, hoping it’ll be OK and then having whatever you’re carrying slide off the side on the first bend. One advantage of doing agency is you learn to ask questions and not be bothered about it.

Ideally it’s easier to show someone but otherwise like others say. YouTube.
You say flat but I’m guessing you mean a stepframe or similar. Two units won’t be a problem weight wise on 5 or 6 axles.
Regarding height they need measuring if they’re a high cab or air kit etc cos the front unit will sit higher. Example a superspace Daf with air kit will be ok on the bed of a stepframe but over 16’ 6" on the neck.
Hopefully the people loading it will know what can or can’t be done.
Which I would hope is the case cos there’s a lot to know regarding getting it right.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

Whoever loaded the units should have pulled the mirror arms in - they will stick out just as far as the ones on the towing unit otherwise. Don’t try to climb up and attend to this if it’s not been done, it will not be safe, you’ll be two metres at least up in the air hanging over the edge, just tell the company that you need it done. If either of the loaded units has a very visible soft tyre then the chains are going to work loose.

Regarding the chains make sure the ratchet is set to tightening so all it will do is just tighten its self
Not like a load of 3/4t cable drums I picked up once that was presecrured and the dogs were set to undo :open_mouth:

If you are going to watch youtube watch this bloke.

youtube.com/@russellworthing3586/videos

Is it units for export? Most likely.going to the Africa terminal.at Teesport

chaversdad:

! If so, then maybe it is also an export trailer? To be dropped there?
And a second if, it may be a very doggy old one.
If (3rd one) so then check for MoT plate and all tyres etc.

Hopefully all above board and legit, but keep your eyes open.

I know it’s old school and not allowed any more, but ropes crossed over the wheels always worked perfectly well. Nowadays of course, ratchet straps crossed over the wheels still preferred rather than chains to the chassis.

fingermissing:
If you are going to watch youtube watch this bloke.

youtube.com/@russellworthing3586/videos

Nothing about chains on that link, just a million hour long videos! Are we supposed to watch them all?

peterm:
I know it’s old school and not allowed any more, but ropes crossed over the wheels always worked perfectly well. Nowadays of course, ratchet straps crossed over the wheels still preferred rather than chains to the chassis.

I never chain the chassis of a pneumatic tyred load, always secure from the wheels or axles.

Franglais:

chaversdad:

Info is nine years old, but apparently MOTs aren’t an issue for trailers going directly for export
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=112852

Zac_A:

Franglais:

chaversdad:

Info is nine years old, but apparently MOTs aren’t an issue for trailers going directly for export
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=112852

Very interesting. legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 … ule/2/made
item 22(a) which refers back to item 1
Clear as mud to me!

MoT necessary or not?
If no test plate affixed, and if it isnt necessary by law, then isnt the onus must be on the driver to ascertain that the trailer is in a roadworthy condition?
Test cert or not all vehicles must be roadworthy.

We are going a long way from the original question, but it may be useful for anyone else coming across a situation like this.
If the trailer in question is an MoT-ed one, no issues of course.

Drop all the air out of the unit suspension before securing them. If you do chains up tight, and the unit then looses air and drops down the chains are useless. Chocks under wheels is good practice too. Straps around wheels. If one is loaded backwards beware of air/wind behind spoilers etc. They are designed to drive forwards, not back!

Saw a guy on the’tube in the US and he spent an age bracing up the wings and spoiler on the back of the cab for a reverse tow - he used a batten on both sides top to bottom, then about eight low capacity ratchet straps in a spider pattern.

Star down under.:

peterm:

I never chain the chassis of a pneumatic tyred load, always secure from the wheels or axles.

Exackerly. :slight_smile: