Tacho that goes on break automatically

Basically drove different truck to mine today.
Half way though the day after doing a delivery I looked at tacho check how much driving had left and it was on break.
So all shift every time I’ve stopped it’s defaulted to rest.
So half the day it thinks I started had about half hour rest while was being loading and strapping my load.
Then again at next stop and next stop.

So curious what would happen if I was to ever get stopped . Would they accept that I was in a different truck and didn’t notice it defaulted to rest every time stopped.

Then again in 10 years driving been stopped twice.
And why do they allow tachos to defualt to rest when stopped

I wouldn’t stress it over a one off, it’s hardly a hanging offence. I agree though that sometimes these tachos can be a PITA, the worst ones are the ones that default to other work once the ignition is switched on as you can bet that 40 minutes into your break you turn the ignition on to open the window, don’t notice it’s back on other work and then find yourself having to take another 30 to satisfy the requirements.

When we get new lorries they all go off to wherever to have the tachos set so that there is no default, they only go onto the mode that the driver physically selects.

Funnily enough we’ve had the same issue with a few hire units that came in this week. Apparently it’s a simple setting that changes it from EU system to UK system but it can only be done at a tacho centre/dealer. To cover yourself it’s possibly worth doing printout and a note on the back but it’s not something that you need to worry about, just make sure your transport office is aware so they can pass the info on to drivers and hopefully get the nacho set correctly.

All digital tachographs have a default ignition on ignition off setting, on all but the earlier models they can be set to default to break, other work or POA when the ignition is switched on or off.

I believe that on some of the latter models the setting can be changed with the company card but that may only be Stoneridge tachographs and not VDO tachographs, I’m not sure.

This is why you should get into the habit of checking the default ignition off setting when using a vehicle that you don’t usually drive.

But is it legal?

Menzies have some Mercs on that setting, and always wondered if that was an issue with the rules. I am talking three months ago before getting banned --me, not the Mercs…

_JD:
But is it legal?

If you mean is it legal for a tachograph to default to break when the ignition is switched off the answer is yes it’s perfectly legal.

The onus is on the driver to make sure the tachograph mode is on the appropriate activity whenever the activity changes or the ignition is switched off.

Yes it’s still legal.

The govt says “Mode switch default: Depending on the preferences entered into the digital/smart tachograph at the time of calibration the digital tachograph can default to recording either ‘rest’ for driver 1 and driver 2 or ‘other work’ for driver 1 and ‘availability’ for driver 2 when the vehicle stops. Drivers must use the mode switch correctly to ensure that rest and break periods are recorded correctly.”

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … le%20stops.

the maoster:

When we get new lorries they all go off to wherever to have the tachos set so that there is no default, they only go onto the mode that the driver physically selects.

I don’t follow what you’re trying to say, surely it selects driving automatically, and then it has to select something when you stop?

stu675:

the maoster:

I don’t follow what you’re trying to say, surely it selects driving automatically, and then it has to select something when you stop?

All digital tachographs default to other work when the vehicle stops moving, he’s talking about the default setting for when the ignition is switched off/on.

The tachograph can be set to remain on the current mode when the ignition is switched off or on.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

I have taken my last two M A N trucks to be changed to default to work when we first received them , I think it cost less than £20 ,saying that when they go in for the two year check ,you have to remind them what you want it to default to or your end up going back again .

When this first came to light, VOSA, as it was then, stated that if the driver had not manually changed the mode to O/W, they would not take any of the breaks recorded as genuine.

tachograph:

stu675:

the maoster:

All digital tachographs default to other work when the vehicle stops moving, .

That’s just not true. It’s perfectly legal for them to default to rest every time you stop e.g. in a traffic jam.

tachograph:

The tachograph can be set to remain on the current mode when the ignition is switched off or on.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

Ok thanks, that’s mad, why would anyone want it to change on the ignition switch? I’ve never come across that myself thankfully.

stu675:

tachograph:

stu675:

the maoster:

All digital tachographs default to other work when the vehicle stops moving, .

That’s just not true. It’s perfectly legal for them to default to rest every time you stop e.g. in a traffic jam.

Yes, it is legal for the tacho to default to rest.

If it does so in a traffic queue when clearly the driver is not on rest, surely it is the driver`s responsibility to select the correct “duty” mode?

Madness innit.

stu675:

tachograph:
All digital tachographs default to other work when the vehicle stops moving,

I can assure you that all digital tachographs of the type used in HGVs automatically change to other work when the vehicle stops moving, in fact it’s not legal for the tachograph to automatically change to anything other than other work when the vehicle stops moving.

It’s written into the tachograph specifications “(48) When the vehicle stops, WORK shall be selected automatically for the driver”, I don’t really see how “Work” can be interpreted as anything other than other work.

tachograph:

stu675:

tachograph:
All digital tachographs default to other work when the vehicle stops moving,

I can assure you that all digital tachographs of the type used in HGVs automatically change to other work when the vehicle stops moving, in fact it’s not legal for the tachograph to automatically change to anything other than other work when the vehicle stops moving.

It’s written into the tachograph specifications “(48) When the vehicle stops, WORK shall be selected automatically for the driver”, I don’t really see how “Work” can be interpreted as anything other than other work.

From the link earlier provided by Stu:
“Mode switch default: Depending on the preferences entered into the digital/smart tachograph at the time of calibration the digital tachograph can default to recording either ‘rest’ for driver 1 and driver 2 or ‘other work’ for driver 1 and ‘availability’ for driver 2 when the vehicle stops. Drivers must use the mode switch correctly to ensure that rest and break periods are recorded correctly.”
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … le%20stops
Under 4.2 expanded.
And from Jakey this morning:

JAKEY:
I have taken my last two M A N trucks to be changed to default to work when we first received them

Plus the OP:

edd1974:
So all shift every time I’ve stopped it’s defaulted to rest.

I don`t doubt it is or was written somewhere that tachos should default to duty, not rest, but has that been superseded?
We seem to have 2 examples of it.

As a comment: stupid idea, going straight to rest, but it seems legal. Common sense and rules don`t always overlap.

^^^^^
It should be remembered that the link provided by stu675 is guidance and the wording should not be taken as exact for the regulations.

I imagine all the examples you’ve given are simply cases of wording not being precise, obviously we’ll have to ask them but I suspect that when other people in this thread say “stop” they really mean when they switch off the ignition.

As far as I’m aware the regulations about the automatic mode being “Work” when the vehicle stops moving has not changed since 2016.
legislation.gov.uk/eur/2016 … ivision/48

I’ll wait to be proven wrong though :smiley: :wink:

tachograph:
I imagine all the examples you’ve given are simply cases of wording not being precise, obviously we’ll have to ask them but I suspect that when other people in this thread say “stop” they really mean when they switch off the ignition.

Good point.
See if the OP and Jakey can expand on what they have said?

I had this problem in my last job.I couldnt figure out how to change the settings so that it would stop going to break.They dont class breaks of less than 15 minutes.but then,no law against having a break for 1 minute

Sploom:
I had this problem in my last job.I couldnt figure out how to change the settings so that it would stop going to break.They dont class breaks of less than 15 minutes.but then,no law against having a break for 1 minute

Did it go straight onto “break” when you stopped, or when you switched engine off, please?

It seems to need a visit to a Tacho center to reset it? Not possible by the driver.