Airbag exploded!

Never had this before.
Scared the crap out of me. I was sat with door open, pressed the button to return suspension to normal ride height and it went bang.
Took out the mudflap and the tyre sidewall as well.

trevorking1964:
Never had this before.
Scared the crap out of me. I was sat with door open, pressed the button to return suspension to normal ride height and it went bang.
Took out the mudflap and the tyre sidewall as well.

Had that a few years ago… backed up to loading door. Jacked rear suspension up as pallets are heavy, back door open, workers on estate thought a bomb gone off lol :smiley:

I had this happen last week on the trailer, I was in the back of the trailer shifting pallets around when it went boom. No damage to anything though thankfully.

Had it few years ago at a Tesco store, they had just had a delivery of milk that was still on the dock when the air bag blew, it was a corker the milk shattered and there was milk dripping all over the place. It was if someone had thrown a grenade onto the dock.

I had this happen while underneath a trailer, a scary moment. DVSA testers are advised never to hit an airbag with their toffee hammer. IIRC early HT MANs did not have a limit valve fitted to prevent the bags continuing to inflate. I was told at MAN technical training school a tale that one had launched the rear shock absorbers into orbit when left on raise with the engine ticking over.

I’ve had 3 go on the same trailer , 1st went when I hitched up and raised legs , next when I moved trailer to other yard 100 yards away to be cross loaded and the 3rd went while it was being unloaded :open_mouth:
The fitter cursed all day because he’d already ordered 2 new air bags when the 3rd went
Had on go on a Skelly when I shrunk it to unload a 20ft , said to customer sorry you’re gonna have to unload it here :laughing: :smiley:

Had that happen to me a couple of times over the years, but the worst, ( or scariest) for the loaders was when loading at International Paints Gateshead. I was in the cab whilst the fork trucks were busy when the bag went off, explosions are not recommended in place that only deals in flammables!!! I’ve never seen so many people move as fast. Of course the works fire service were on it in a crack. I have to say although it turned out harmless the firemen didn’t hesitate to head for what could have been a dangerous situation.
Needless to say I was not flavour of the month with the factory. Regards Kev.

But why do they blow up?
Is it too much to assume they have safety devices in place?

_JD:
But why do they blow up?
Is it too much to assume they have safety devices in place?

Basically they wear out just like anything else does.

Don’t ever stick your head into where the clip goes on a fith wheel . The airbags for the middle axle are very close and if one blows while your in there you get a very sore head banging it off the underside of the trailer - it will knock you out or give you a very sore head or both . Ask me how I know . :cry: :laughing: