Trucking Lives university research/survey to effect changes

Calling all CURRENT and FORMER HGV drivers in the UK

Some background info on the project:
Trucking Lives is a three-year research project (2022-2025) funded by the UK’s Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) as part of their Transforming Working Lives research priority. The project is collaborative and multi-institutional including researchers from the Universities of Oxford, Huddersfield and Newcastle.
More info on the project and its aims here: https://truckinglives.co.uk/about-the-project

We’re kicking things off with this short survey (8-10 mins max, promise!) which asks some details about your work and life.

Begin the survey by clicking on this link:
:arrow_right: https://unioxfedu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2rAHdDdEXgtAI8C

Tell us all - the good, the bad and the ugly – about life as a truck driver in the UK; so that together, we can push those in power to make urgent changes to better YOUR lives: the lives of OUR essential workers.

Six lucky participants stand to win iPad Minis!

If you wish to know more about our project, please email: truckinglives@conted.ox.ac.uk

QR code for Truck Driver Survey.png

===============
This topic is OK’ed by Admin. dd.

Many thanks to @dieseldave for making sure this post is live here!

Most of you are probably thinking ‘ugh, another survey’, ‘what’s going to change?’. We get it. However, we want to assure you that the DfT is listening and so are industry bodies like the RHA. They have committed support for our project and will take seriously the data that emerges from the survey. So please answer this survey and make it the largest survey of HGV drivers, so we have strong data to back demands to improve the lives of HGV drivers in the UK!

What a boring survey
got bored and shut it darn

Got bored? In the context of a forum that carries a multitude of posts by Winseer and Carryfast et al, I can only say a big LOL :laughing:

At least someone is taking an interest; that in itself is worth five minutes of anyone’s time.

EDIT: I ticked the box for “yes you can contact me for an interview”, it’d be entertaining to talk to fledgling post-doc researchers before they get their enthusiasm crushed by the academic grind - Oh to be young and excitable again :sunglasses:

SHYTOT:
What a boring survey
got bored and shut it darn

Ditto

I think the survey isnt designed to be a rival to "Super-Mario-Tomb-Combat" or whatever you youngsters play in your gaming arcades. !5 minutes to put my answers and comments down? Maybe have some one can do summat read them? Yeh, Im up for that.
Typing away here will probably achieve less!

Will it do any good? Dunno.
But I`m 100% sure, that not filling it, in will 0% good.

Tried but cocked up 1st question trying to be honest, got blown out. So question asked are you working in the industry, yes, former hgv driver, or no not working?
So 1st put former because technically I am retired but looking for part time work. So then changed it to no not working at present which is true. Shame I need a new iPad.

Zac_A:
Got bored? In the context of a forum that carries a multitude of posts by Winseer and Carryfast et al, I can only say a big LOL :laughing:

At least someone is taking an interest; that in itself is worth five minutes of anyone’s time.

EDIT: I ticked the box for “yes you can contact me for an interview”, it’d be entertaining to talk to fledgling post-doc researchers before they get their enthusiasm crushed by the academic grind - Oh to be young and excitable again :sunglasses:

Thanks for your support Zac! And so glad you ticked the box to be contacted for an interview. You might get a postdoc (the only one on the project) or a Professor or one of two Assistant Profs as the interviewer :slight_smile: And sssshh, these kinds of projects help us ‘fledgling post-doc researchers’ keep going in academia. But I might need to have a chat with you about how to survive the academic grind as you seem to know a thing or two about it :slight_smile:

Franglais:
I think the survey isnt designed to be a rival to "Super-Mario-Tomb-Combat" or whatever you youngsters play in your gaming arcades. !5 minutes to put my answers and comments down? Maybe have some one can do summat read them? Yeh, Im up for that.
Typing away here will probably achieve less!

Will it do any good? Dunno.
But I`m 100% sure, that not filling it, in will 0% good.

THANK YOU!

miketdt:
Tried but cocked up 1st question trying to be honest, got blown out. So question asked are you working in the industry, yes, former hgv driver, or no not working?
So 1st put former because technically I am retired but looking for part time work. So then changed it to no not working at present which is true. Shame I need a new iPad.

■■■■, sorry to hear that you couldn’t complete the survey Mike. Umm, you could try to answer the survey from another device and choose ‘former’ driver for Q1. And don’t worry, once you begin the survey, the questions have text boxes where you can explain your current situation if none of the multiple choice answers are applicable to you.

Trucking Lives:
But I might need to have a chat with you about how to survive the academic grind as you seem to know a thing or two about it :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I want to squash anyone’s energy with my jaded outlook on the job :laughing: I gave it several years of my life, but eventually had to choose between (a) having a life outside of work, or (b) living for the next grant to come through and being micromanaged by a PI who had no life of his own. I chose the former. Truck drivers believe they’re badly put upon, but haulage has nothing on academia for exploiting its workers. Really, I should have followed my buddy into the private sector of research, but hindsight is always 20:20 vision isn’t it?

Zach, implying you were a grad student at some point? ANd never passed a joint around or hit the bong? --as per the other thread
sounds kind of inconsistent to me, or: 1) absolute nerd, your adviser wasn’t the one without a real life; 2) you were in the wrong campus, should’ve moved to the US for grad school

Very straightforward survey, nice to see people are maybe listening to truckers concerns and opinions, certainly can’t do any harm.

_JD:
Zach, implying you were a grad student at some point?

No one in this country uses “grad student” as a description.

_JD:
ANd never passed a joint around or hit the bong? --as per the other thread

Whether true or false it would have bugger all to do with you, but I appreciate that you’re taking to the time to track my posts and content, though I don’t think you ever explained your incredulity that I’d been a C&G qualified toolmaker back in the 1980s.

_JD:
sounds kind of inconsistent to me,

Apologies if I’d given you the impression I was interested in your opinion; you’d already (prior to me seeing this) successfully cemented your place on my list of people who can be comfortably dismissed as having nothing of value to say, and possibly/probably being just another avatar of an existing TN member.