The future of electric lorries

youtube.com/watch?v=9eYLtPSf7PY

Very interesting video. This is the kind of thinking it’s gonna take to make electric work, not just for trucks but for cars also.

I watched the video, found it very interesting. maybe in the future we will be driving crew cab pickups with a 1 ton battery in the back instead of petrol or diesel cars.

Had a rant about electric…

Then removed it… as just had unexpected ulez charge…

Electric everything, then theyll scare you with solar flares from sun, and push a new option to generate more revenue…

I read an article

On the net, which I can’t find now but, in essence it was saying that to operate this kind of swap operation, requires quite literally twice the amount of batteries to operate one vehicle. Suffice to say, does the convenience outweigh the infrastructure required and the amount of resources mother earth has to give?

yourhavingalarf:
I read an article

On the net, which I can’t find now but, in essence it was saying that to operate this kind of swap operation, requires quite literally twice the amount of batteries to operate one vehicle. Suffice to say, does the convenience outweigh the infrastructure required and the amount of resources mother earth has to give?

I wonder if a company will evolve that hires out battery packs for lorries a bit like Chep hire out pallets.

Would it be viable for a lorry driver to pull into a battery station and simply change the battery pack for a fully charged one that’s rented to the transport company.

If a company emerged that operated like this they could even have their own means of generating electricity in some parts of the country, such as a solar farm or wind turbine generator, fully charged battery packs could probably be transported some distance to battery stations.

I’m not saying this is how things will work out, it’s just an idea.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

I’m sure there is a car manufacturer in China that whose cars are designed to have the battery packs changed over quickly.

Bamford thinks the future lies,elsewhere.
youtu.be/jxtxZY45RMM

Impressive stuff.

tachograph:
I wonder if a company will evolve that hires out battery packs for lorries a bit like Chep hire out pallets.

Would it be viable for a lorry driver to pull into a battery station and simply change the battery pack for a fully charged one that’s rented to the transport company.

Possibly, that’s pretty much the standard model in the aviation industry, airlines lease the engines and when they need work they’re just swapped out for a replacement. I used to deliver these, I took one to Bratislava once and when I got there they said “Park up, we’ve got one running on the test rig at the moment, yours is only here in case that one fails the test”. It didn’t so I turned round and took it back to the UK.

DHL supply chain has just got four Volvo FM heavy duty tractor units with a range of 180 miles which seems really low. airqualitynews.com/2023/03/14/d … tor-units/

lancpudn:
DHL supply chain has just got four Volvo FM heavy duty tractor units with a range of 180 miles which seems really low. airqualitynews.com/2023/03/14/d … tor-units/

Too low range for lots of uses, but there are enough posts here about drivers doing only a few hours driving per day. That`ll be enough for them.

You don`t need a V8 with long range tanks to go around the corner. A smaller truck with cheaper, smaller, lighter, battery pack is enough for some uses.
4 units sounds like a trial run to me?

Franglais:

lancpudn:

Too low range for lots of uses, but there are enough posts here about drivers doing only a few hours driving per day. That`ll be enough for them.

You don`t need a V8 with long range tanks to go around the corner. A smaller truck with cheaper, smaller, lighter, battery pack is enough for some uses.

Remember the milk floats of long ago? Electric traction could have its uses in some circumstances.

Franglais:

lancpudn:

hardly justifies a globetrotter sleeper cab , i would have thought for that kind of work , day cab all the way . especially for basically urban environments

Friend of mine just posted this on another forum, suggest you watch this and realise just how dangerous a battery fire can be, not heat wise but the chemicals released in a lithium battery runaway fire.

youtube.com/watch?v=fhHQ202FZtU&t=226s

Several tesla drivers burned to death because its basically impossible to put out a battery fire.

JeffA:
Several tesla drivers burned to death because its basically impossible to put out a battery fire.

I thought you were being over dramatic, but actually 53 dead so far.
tesla-fire.com/

Can’t be very good for global warming all these fires [emoji6]

Franglais:

lancpudn:

Bearing in mind that recharge time increases pro rata with battery capacity so longer range just means it will be sitting going nowhere for longer while recharging.
LHVs with a 25t rigid dedicated locomotive with swap battery packs, pulling a proper trailer, would be the best realistic viable option for EV trucks.It would provide the best of all worlds of massive battery capacity with no combined imposed load from the trailer and solves the problem of recharge time.

That dhl electric truck has 666bhp, that’ll be fun of the line :laughing:

Juddian:
Friend of mine just posted this on another forum, suggest you watch this and realise just how dangerous a battery fire can be, not heat wise but the chemicals released in a lithium battery runaway fire.

Some very…

Useful information in the video. I know this sounds corny, but watching it might just save your life. Battery fires are very nasty. Two firemen in Australia are invalided out of the service through injuries sustained in a battery fire.

yourhavingalarf:

Juddian:

Some very…

Useful information in the video. I know this sounds corny, but watching it might just save your life. Battery fires are very nasty. Two firemen in Australia are invalided out of the service through injuries sustained in a battery fire.

That’s how it came over to me, getting away from any fumes coming from a battery fire is a must.