Busy or quiet

Just wondering hows the work out there in logistics / trucking land.
Before Christmas when things didn’t seem very busy there was a genuine feeling things would be really bad come January/ February, . That included ourselves in general haulage. December was very quiet and we sort of feared the worst , however since Xmas things have been pleasantly ticking over not prolific but enough to keep us going with a bit of o/t and a couple of nights out here and there . Was none of that November / December. How is it for you ?

It seems a bit quieter, probably because a general feeling of the public, not wanting to spend as much as previous, either because they’ve been spooked by the (long overdue)interest rate rise, or because they believe the media’s histerical screaming about the economy having collapsed.

Until the housing market caves in, the economy is still going. How long the gubernment can keep handing out borrowed money to keep it so, is anyone’s guess.

Food transport so no different, arguably busier (than normal, not compared to Nov/Dec Xmas peak)

Desperately quiet. We do frozen food only and it appears that supermarkets et al panic bought around Christmas and their coldstores are rammed full of stuff with a two year sell by date on.

There’s enough work for the core drivers, but agency drivers are almost non existent. The plus point from my POV sis that all the far north and south deliveries that we were subbing out is now being kept in house, so the work variety has increased a lot.

toonsy:
Food transport so no different, arguably busier (than normal, not compared to Nov/Dec Xmas peak)

I’m surprised at that as I go into tesco reading 3/4 times a week & theres d/d etc triple stacked , last 2 times I’ve been in there I couldn’t even find a parking place , had to park it in middle of yard .
As for my job I’ve only done it for roughly a month & the long timers says it’s the quietest they’ve ever seen , yet I did 70 1/2 hrs last week , asking for extra shifts & a estimated guess would be 75/25 % in favour of agency drivers , so if this is quiet I dread to think what busy is !

I do frozen meat drops, and is busy as normal

Quiet , 2 already gone (1rigid , 1 artic driver ) rigid driver was let go with that excuse but he was late to collections and multi tacho infringements :wink:
Artic drive was personal reasons , so neither had to go but it did help the company as now wage bill is £1.2k less a week now
Doing a lot of storage of Devan boxes but not much distance work as Jonny F is back to the old rate carving up game moving stuff for next to nothing
Luckily low down on the list of last in 1sr out and current work hours suit as salaried :grimacing:
If all goes south I’ve got a DP world cert for Southampton and 5 years on artic
P/s still managed to get as far as Blackpool this week

the maoster:
Desperately quiet. We do frozen food only and it appears that supermarkets et al panic bought around Christmas and their coldstores are rammed full of stuff with a two year sell by date on.

There’s enough work for the core drivers, but agency drivers are almost non existent. The plus point from my POV sis that all the far north and south deliveries that we were subbing out is now being kept in house, so the work variety has increased a lot.

Supermarkets have themselves to blame. They were pushing scare stories in the media for months before Christmas about shortages of turkeys, eggs, cornflour and god knows what else; result, the public bought stock in early and now they’re all stuck with a load of stuff they’ll probably end up discounting with short shelf life to move it on.

Serves them bloody well right.

Very quiet on pallet network over Christmas and new year but getting back to normal now especially Hazchem which seems to have gone mad busy.

dozy:

toonsy:

I’m surprised at that as I go into tesco reading 3/4 times a week & theres d/d etc triple stacked , last 2 times I’ve been in there I couldn’t even find a parking place , had to park it in middle of yard .
As for my job I’ve only done it for roughly a month & the long timers says it’s the quietest they’ve ever seen , yet I did 70 1/2 hrs last week , asking for extra shifts & a estimated guess would be 75/25 % in favour of agency drivers , so if this is quiet I dread to think what busy is !

Reason for loads of trailers is that we’ve currently got hundreds of old trailers parked up to go storage/disposal and hundreds of new trailers parked up ready for PDI to go on the road. That’s why most sites are stacked out atm. About 1/4 of Avonmouth for example is full of new trailers just ready to be out on the road and it’s like that at most sites I go to.

dozy:

toonsy:

70.5 X £40/hr plus JSA you’re creaming it dope.

Will be 5* benidorm this year :smiling_imp:

Im chilling on the beach in Portugal (outside Lisbon) during carnival season, watching the parades, stuffing my face and drinking beer till the wee hours. This was the parade of the samba school today
youtu.be/qQUTO7X65w8

We’re a bit quieter than usual at this time of year but all that means in real terms is that there’s not much overtime (which I don’t want anyway).

Only 3 days this week. [emoji41]

We are steady as usual, milk goes on pretty much regardless. I’ve seen a lot less box jockeys lately though…

Tesco goole , been here 1 hr & not seen a shunter yet, or maybe there just not daft enough to get out of bed at midnight on a sat / sun

Hi very very poor for me ( agency) jan /feb usually slow as expected but NEVER this dead usually would get 2/3 days a week enough to tick over
agency says im not the only one i am looking at other places /temp jobs till it picks up
im going to assume that the combination of cost of living crisis post christmas slump and ukraine are having a combined effect

the nodding donkey:
We are steady as usual, milk goes on pretty much regardless. I’ve seen a lot less box jockeys lately though…

Come down to Southampton then :wink: loads waiting to get empty boxes off on Friday
But we are in the post Chinese new year quiet period
Container companies are hiring

dozy:
Tesco goole , been here 1 hr & not seen a shunter yet, or maybe there just not daft enough to get out of bed at midnight on a sat / sun

So, what time was you there then dozy?

Burning the candle both ends again? Planner said jump…?

Haven’t had a decent (10 hours) or early finish (8 hours) shift for ages. We’re busy at the moment. All 13+ hour shifts. I wish we were quiet. I prefer the dead periods.