Hmrc

I know not truck driving related. As such.

But has anyone had dealing with HMRC and how on earth do you contact them. Get to speak to a human being
Story short had 4 letters in post from HMRC all saying different things . And common thing is I owe them money ranging from £1000 to £3000 and I don’t know why or how
As am employed granted started new job a few months ago and ever since been on emergency tax code.

There is a number on letter ring it get a robot. Asking questions. Then eventually get thank you your call is being diverted please hold. Then after a few mins it goes thank you for calling goodbye.
I’ve tried there online site thing.
Anyway anyone have ideas how to contact HMRC maybe a different phone one.number or any advice thanks

Don’t pay the money they say you owe, I guarantee that they’ll contact you.

had to ring them from time to time. theres a number on the back of the letter demanding payment,"ready to pay ring this number blah blah " where somebodys ready to take your bank details but who can redirect your enquiry once they hear your speel. id try that one if i was you it usually is answered right away

the maoster:

I have 4 letters all say I owe different amounts on each letter. They then say your taxcode will change to reflection this so you can pay back the amount owed within 12 months.
But want speak to somebody ask how come I owe them and why do I have 4 letters all arrived in post with in last week saying different things .

As say I’m employed pay tax ni every week just can’t get hold of a Human being

the maoster:

thing is theres been a change in how govt depts operate,came in about 5 yrs ago.in the old days you got red letters then went to court argue your case -but not now.if you ignore theyv now the power to just search for your bank account and in conjunction with the bank freeze your account and seize whatever is owed .Unless youve good proof otherwise your moneys lost
Recommend you keep bare minimum in your account for the foreseeable

There’s 5 million people that need to complete their self assessment by tomorrow. I reckon a fair few of them will be trying to get in touch with HMRC. So you might have better luck if you wait until February.
Alternatively you could complete your own self assessment by tomorrow and sort out your own tax?
First step I would do was get all my payroll records together such as P60 and P45’s and work out how much tax is owed or not.

I assume you mean tax , I got them nearly every week when on agency telling me I owed this / that & everything , that my tax code was being changed to ______ , but it never changed , when I spoke to them ( I assume I got no off letter ) they just said don’t worry your employer will deal with it
Then one day I got a letter stating I was due a tax rebate & I never heard from them again
Though what they said I owed was not in the thousands , £80/ £90 area

I am employed with a company direct pay tax ni every week
through my wages. Been there about 8 months before that was in last job 5 years
I don’t need to do a self assessment etc

Asked hr dept they don’t know why I owe them. And if I do my main concern is how much as had 4 letters all saying different amounts

edd1974:

But has anyone had dealing with HMRC and how on earth do you contact them. Get to speak to a human being
Story short had 4 letters in post from HMRC all saying different things . And common thing is I owe them money ranging from £1000 to £3000 and I don’t know why or how
As am employed granted started new job a few months ago and ever since been on emergency tax code.

There is a number on letter ring it get a robot. Asking questions. Then eventually get thank you your call is being diverted please hold. Then after a few mins it goes thank you for calling goodbye.
Anyway anyone have ideas how to contact HMRC maybe a different phone one.number or any advice thanks

Use a Government Gateway gov.uk/government/publicati … ay-account
Instructions on how to create government gateway account
Go to HMRC’s login page.
Click the GREEN sign in button.
Click “Create sign in details”
Enter your email address where asked.
You will now be emailed a confirmation code. …
You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account.

Access account you are able to change and up date emergency tax code etc etc

I have to use that gateway website to claim tax back from extra pension contributions.you can send a secure message but it takes 2 months fir them to read it and respond but that doesnt matter.Its better than waiting on the phone for hours.
I think its a good idea to check how much you earn
And how much tax you paid and if it matches the tax allowances for that year

forget the i t way and find your local tax office and contact them, always found mine very helpful…

corij:

the maoster:

thing is theres been a change in how govt depts operate,came in about 5 yrs ago.in the old days you got red letters then went to court argue your case -but not now.if you ignore theyv now the power to just search for your bank account and in conjunction with the bank freeze your account and seize whatever is owed .Unless youve good proof otherwise your moneys lost
Recommend you keep bare minimum in your account for the foreseeable

If that is true it’s an absolute ■■■■ liberty.
This country is going right down the crapper.
I watched part of a programme about The Stasi in East Berlin in the 60s, it mentioned constant surveillance, people spying on each other, people reporting each other to the police, and Govt backed totally out of order ■■■■ takes like the one you mention…seems the UK and it’s populace have learned a lot about those times, because it’s virtually the same here now.

edd1974:

Surely the letters must say why the money is owed?

This week is the worst week in the year to get hold of HMRC because 31st Jan is the self assessment deadline so world and dog is trying to get hold of HMRC to sort paying their bills before they get penalised and fined.

Give it a few more days and try again.

edd1974:

I’ve had the same many many times with that shambles of an organisation. Speak to a recorded voice giving your NI number, speak in plain English and it cannot understand what you are saying. Wait on the phone for upto an hour to speak to a human being, that’s if your call isn’t automatically ended first. One thing for certain HMRC make the rules to suit. Utter shambles 52 weeks of the year.

It is quite possible that your (driving) identity has been cloned, and your details used for agency drivers. Have you ever been signed up with an agency, or given your relevant details to somebody (during a job application or such?)?

If you’ve had 4 letters all with different info on them I would be very wary as to whether they are genuine.This is a very busy time for con artists to contact you! As above, get in touch with your local tax office, don’t use any numbers on the letters. Your HR dept. should have local office number. Good luck.

hmrcisshite.blogspot.com/2023/01 … lousy.html

The captain of the sinking ship blames the public!

I’m dreading filling in a self assessment tax return later this year

edd1974:

hmrcisshite.blogspot.com/2023/01 … -hmrc.html

Count yourself lucky.