Strange Manoeuvre On Sutton Bank

I don’t understand. The drive axle is still on the tarmac, why not turn right and carry on down the hill?
Is the rear trailer axle bent or just suspension compressed?
How did he get in that position? Attempted 3 point turn or skid?

Can’t see any marks on the road, blowed if i can work out what’s going on there.

stu675:
I don’t understand. The drive axle is still on the tarmac, why not turn right and carry on down the hill?

Think he’s facing up the hill. In the wet it’s easy to lose traction on Sutton Bank even in a straight line.

Looks like the front tyre is in the ground enough to make it spin .

Harry Monk:

stu675:

Think he’s facing up the hill. In the wet it’s easy to lose traction on Sutton Bank even in a straight line.

Ah makes sense, loses traction backs down and tries again?
Daf should lift the mid lift axle clear of the ground after a few seconds of operating the weight transfer button, doing that as speed droped during the climb might have averted this without the all hope is lost stage of dumping the trailer air and lifting the tractor unit suspension to transfer even more weight to the drive axle once you’ve come to a gripless failuire to proceed.

IMO missed his turn and didn’t want to drive for 10s of miles to find a roundabout so he decided to turn around right then and there. Doesn’t seem to be a bend nearby and it’s a broken white line so he deemed it a ‘‘safe’’ location to try and do so

I had an episode in there a few years back,.about 14.
Going up empty with a kooiap/moffet on the back, roads were damp and the bast would just NOT go up. :unamused:
Had to reverse into the escape road, (it was either escape road or junction,.can’t remember) and it was made easier as it was a left ■■■■■■, but I only had one chance or nothing to do it, luckily I got round with no dramas.
Never used it in an artic since, although I had used it numerous times before that .

Used it a few times in a wagon and drag with a Moffett. Truck loaded and trailer empty was best. Fully loaded it just made it as long as you didn’t try to change gear, but empty was nerve wracking. Usually tried to route it so I came down it instead, though the alternative caravan route wasn’t for the faint hearted! First time I went up I didn’t know anything about its reputation!!

It’s a DAF, it would have struggled to get up there bobtail.

the maoster:
It’s a DAF, it would have struggled to get up there bobtail.

Nah it’d have been fine. Slow down just before the tight left hander, stick it in manual, select a gear you know it’ll make it to the top in without changing and jobs a good un. I’ve driven a Leyland Roadtrain with a whopping 290BHP running at 38 tonnes with a crash box up Sutton Bank. Where people come unstuck is they try gunning it, get to the left hand bend and then it all goes wrong from there. If you’re not in the gear you need to get up it BEFORE you get to that left hand bend you’re going to be having a miserable day and you’d better have made sure you cross strapped the back stack of pallets if they weren’t against the back door.

On more than one occasion I’ve been following a truck (at a suitable distance!) when the back doors flew open and the load came flying out!

You need a decent few hp to get up there if you’re loaded, my old (underpowered) Scania 420 32T could just manage it empty, but not with any load in it.

As said, you need to be in the correct gear before you get to the very sharp LH bend, or you’re stuffed, and there’s no where to turn around safely once you’re committed

Latest news is that the road will be closed for several hours while the load is transhipped or removed.
Without knowledge of how and why this happened,it has to be said that the driver is an ambitious and optimistic soul.

Gidders:
Latest news is that the road will be closed for several hours while the load is transhipped or removed.
Without knowledge of how and why this happened,it has to be said that the driver is an ambitious and optimistic soul.

And now an unemployed one I bet. :laughing:

Is there no wrecker drivers on here , is it not possible to pull that thing straight , seen worse than that on highway to hell , snow / ice and they pull worse than that back on the road

Zac_A:
You need a decent few hp to get up there if you’re loaded, my old (underpowered) Scania 420 32T could just manage it empty, but not with any load in it.

As said, you need to be in the correct gear before you get to the very sharp LH bend, or you’re stuffed, and there’s no where to turn around safely once you’re committed

:open_mouth: What’s horse power got to do with anything :laughing:

Gidders:

Defiantly strange, according to North Yorkshire Police, the road was reopened at 3:30pm yesterday.

Been up it several times and had a failure in a 6 wheeler and managed to turn around, the alternative route to Helmsley from Malton isnt any better

I did Morrison’s Stockton , then upto the bacon factory at Malton to collect , up Sutton bank every day , Volvo fh & im not a fan of Volvos but it just drove up there like there wasn’t a hill there , no need for manual just picked the right gear every time , bloody good gearbox on them
It’s 15 / 20 yrs ago but I thought you could get done for getting stuck , thought there was a big sign , but searched and can find no evidence of fines , so memory fading