What to take Tramping

Afternoon,

Just looking for advice on the best thing to take tramping, Boot’s - Clothing etc. Don’t want to be taking the house with us!

What things you would say are essentials for the week.

Cheers for the info.

Someones fit wife

Week one take nothing, by week two you’ll have a fair idea what you will need.

Ok, that was a bit trite but not too far off the mark tbh. Take your sleeping bag/quilt, fresh clothes, washing and shaving kit as a bare minimum. Over time you’ll add to that when you realise that you are missing something.

If I may offer some advice on the back of 30 plus years tramping DO NOT under any circumstances turn it into an endurance test by running to the last minute before ducking into some unsuitable layby or you’ll end up detesting the job. Set your stall out from day one that you’ll be as efficient as possible but you’ll not be pushed to meet unrealistic deadlines that are set by a child who would struggle to find his way from the transport office to his home without mummy to hold his hand.

Above all, enjoy.

Good advice from Maoster.

Treat it as though you’re going wild camping for a week, but without the tent. You’ll soon find out why!

The basics; enough clothes for the week with one extra change in case you get soaking wet or ■■■■ yourself. If your company provides uniform, take a set of “civvies” including footwear; if you end up eating in a pub it doesn’t look good if you’re in company uniform, and apart from that you’ll feel better for the change of kit. Washing kit, two towels. pack of wet wipes for when you don’t get chance to park where there’s washing facilities; pack of tissues or a roll of kitchen towel for the obvious. Sleeping bag, or quilt; I much prefer a quilt as you can change the cover regularly without having to wash the rest of it, and it’s much more like sleeping in yer own bed. Couple of pillows; I have a cushion as well for when I’m sat up in bed reading. Torch if you ain’t got one on your phone. Mug, plastic plate, knife fork and spoon; camping shop is a good bet for these.

Brew kit and either a gas stove or an electric kettle; if you’re allowed a gas stove and you don’t smoke, remember to take a lighter! Couple of tins of grub (Tesco chicken stew or Big Soup) and a couple of those instant porridge pots for brekkie if you like them; and a small saucepan. You WILL end up parked somewhere in the backside of nowhere one night, not having passed a cafe on the way. An empty belly is not conducive to a good night’s sleep. Assuming your unit has a fridge (and if it hasn’t these days you shouldn’t be tramping in it) then a few basics like bread, spread, snacks, fruit juice etc. Try to eat like you would if you weren’t tramping; for myself I try to have at least two “proper” meals a week that don’t involve chips. Take at least five litres of bottled water, it doesn’t last as long as you think it might, especially if you’re like me and always have a brew on the go. If you use milk, I find that the Cravendale filtered stuff lasts better; Aldi’s own brand is much cheaper.

Basically, you don’t have to spend a fortune on anything you can’t find in the house, with the exception of the stove and kettle. Further to the stove; always make sure you have at least one spare canister of gas. Nothing more frustrating than being halfway through brewing up when it runs out.

That will do for now. After your first week, you’ll know what you’ve missed and can adjust accordingly.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 10&t=37297

The link here should help.

Also listen to Maoster’s good advice, he’s REALLY old and done it since God’s dog was a pup. :bulb: :smiley:

Tramping can be a good life …despite all the b/s spouted by the day men, on here, tin can this,.and baby wipes and pot noodle that :unamused: ,.take no notice, they talk through their arses…
On the other hand it can be a complete pain in the ■■■■, but it ALL depends on how YOU approach it,.so start as you mean to go on, it makes for a better and easier life… :bulb:

robroy:
Also listen to Maoster’s good advice, he’s REALLY old and done it since God’s dog was a pup. :bulb: :smiley:

Strike two! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Can opener and washing up liquid.
Toilet paper.
Tablet, books, TV or whatever amuses you at home, after work (chargers to suit).

Shower flip flops if you happen to need a shower, journey plan permitting --I personally do not shower, should the weekend rest be in the van, then I might get a shower at some point, maybe…

And 5-6 days in the truck… calling it tramping is an overstatement, ask former WilliBetz’s and the like. Those would recommend you also some length of line to hang up the laundry while in your 45h rests

In winter, besides the aforementioned sleeping bag(s), think of extra blankets should the contingency of night heater failure arise. One night last week at some M1 services a continental truck with the engine on idle and curtains passed, I imagined that possibility most plausible

Tramping is not that much a job but a lifestyle. Go for it, adapt, survive, enjoy

the maoster:

robroy:

Strike two! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

:open_mouth: …Should I be watching my back then?
You being a ‘trained assassin’ and all that. :laughing:

Treat the truck like home (It Is Now)

So what you need at home you need on the road - if you don’t need it on the road you don’t need it at home.

first aid box with plasters, nail clippers, scissors, Stop(immodium) Go (senecot) pain pills, antiseptic cream etc. Used to have an aqua roll strapped to the catwalk so I had plenty of water for washing up etc and could boil a kettle and have a decent bowl wash at the side of the truck if I couldnt get a shower one day. I started light but by the time I left my last tramping job and cleared my truck out I filled the boot of a landrover discovery :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

_JD:
Shower flip flops if you happen to need a shower, journey plan permitting --I personally do not shower, should the weekend rest be in the van, then I might get a shower at some point, maybe…

And 5-6 days in the truck… calling it tramping is an overstatement, ask former WilliBetz’s and the like. Those would recommend you also some length of line to hang up the laundry while in your 45h rests

In winter, besides the aforementioned sleeping bag(s), think of extra blankets should the contingency of night heater failure arise. One night last week at some M1 services a continental truck with the engine on idle and curtains passed, I imagined that possibility most plausible

Tramping is not that much a job but a lifestyle. Go for it, adapt, survive, enjoy

Is that Toby in disguise :question:

Suedehead:

_JD:

Is that Toby in disguise :question:

Nah, he didn’t mention dinner with the mayor.

All the above advice is rubbish.
For an aspiring tramper you only need the following items.
Duct tape
Balaclava
Shovel.
Thank me later.

Fuzrat:
first aid box with plasters, nail clippers, scissors, Stop(immodium) Go (senecot) pain pills, antiseptic cream etc. Used to have an aqua roll strapped to the catwalk so I had plenty of water for washing up etc and could boil a kettle and have a decent bowl wash at the side of the truck if I couldnt get a shower one day. I started light but by the time I left my last tramping job and cleared my truck out I filled the boot of a landrover discovery :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It used to take me 2 hrs to move from one cab to another. :open_mouth:

SWEDISH BLUE:

Fuzrat:

It used to take me 2 hrs to move from one cab to another. :open_mouth:

I’m the same. :unamused:
The amount of crap I carry around is unreal, and I’m only on 4 days with 3 nights out now. :blush:
It goes back to the days of preparing for weeks away in the old days, my mindset is still the same, never changed, same with the owner driver mentality, and it’s 25 years since I packed all that in… :unamused:
Need a head shake and a ■■■■ big old de.clutter, expecting some kind of change of motor this year so I’m dreading it. :smiley:

Don’t forget the stack of ■■■■ mags to amuse yourself with on those lonely nights :laughing:

■■■■ mags! There’s a blast from the past.

msgyorkie:
(…)
Duct tape
Balaclava
Shovel.
(…)

In good agreement, duct tape and a pry bar to get fairly much everything fixed --no need to be tramping, I always carry a pocket size pry bar for stubborn buckles e.g. or as a lever for the curtains’ poles, as a help to ease my back from the strain of lifting them. And a larger one in the bag for releasing the locking system in some roof posts which resist.

Balaclava, I forgot to add in the cold winter nights kit, essential.

Shovel… Not sure… For digging a hole to take a dump and bury it… Yeah, makes sense. I personally carry dog ■■■ bags leak proof and nice scent. And of course, the ubiquitous pee bottle; but please do not be another one of those dumping them at the service’s tarmac/verges… yes, those water/juice bottles filled with orange liquid, it ain’t juice you know…

_JD:

msgyorkie:
(…)
Duct tape
Balaclava
Shovel.
(…)

In good agreement, duct tape and a pry bar to get fairly much everything fixed --no need to be tramping, I always carry a pocket size pry bar for stubborn buckles e.g. or as a lever for the curtains’ poles, as a help to ease my back from the strain of lifting them. And a larger one in the bag for releasing the locking system in some roof posts which resist.

Balaclava, I forgot to add in the cold winter nights kit, essential.

Shovel… Not sure… For digging a hole to take a dump and bury it… Yeah, makes sense. I personally carry dog ■■■ bags leak proof and nice scent. And of course, the ubiquitous pee bottle; but please do not be another one of those dumping them at the service’s tarmac/verges… yes, those water/juice bottles filled with orange liquid, it ain’t juice you know…

You ain’t doing any favours for our already dubious image and reputation mate,.taking a ■■■■ in a bag?? …seriously? :unamused:
Why not just maje life easier and park somewhere with facilities, or at least find somewhere where there is a khazi at hand…near a Maccy Ds, or near a factory where they will be kind enough to let you use their facilities.
I usually approach them carrying a water bottle, it’s more likely to get you in asking to fill.a bottle rather than asking to take a crap.

In 30+ years of tramping I’ve been reduced to using a bag about once,.and that was due to illness rather than ■■■■ poor planning.