Kindle or Really?

Do you read during your breaks? I’m sure you’ve heard of Kindle, and Readly is the same for magazines and newspapers. Have you heard of Libby? It lets you read books or magazines from your local library on your phone or tablet and they are all free as they come from your library which you have to be a member of.
Recommended
play.google.com/store/apps/deta … roid.libby

Edit: title should be Readly, [emoji849]

Currently reading D Day the Battle for Normandy by Anthony Beevor in Hardback, got it off Amazon secondhand for a few quid along with Berlin 1945 The Downfall by the same author
I have a Kindle but I still prefer the printed book
It seems everyone thinks they have carte blanche to waste drivers time these days, from Pointy Shoes in the office to the RDC staff
It’s getting to the stage where I’m thinking of doing an Open University degree in military history, I’m becoming an authority on WW2 tanks in particular
Next up is The Invasion of Sicily 1943 by James Holland
Paid study time? Now there’s an idea

There’s also BorrowBox for your libraries eAudiobooks and eBooks.

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … BoxLibrary

I read ordinary magazines on my breaks, as I don’t have any electronic devices (i.e. kindle, smartphone, etc). I was in the pub Saturday night with two blokes who spent their entire working lives so far in the printing trade, and one of them felt adamant printed magazines will be virtually extinct in 5 years, bar OK and Knitting Monthly.

I read the Sun

I stick with the old school type book.
I read a lot of factual WW2 stories, and biography life stories of people I have interest in.
At moment I’m reading My life with The Eagles by their ex guitarist Don Felder, before that it was Freddie Foreman ex associate of the Krays, and before that the life story of Dennis Waterman…so a varied taste. :smiley:

I have had a Kindle for years. Nice piece of kit. Tries to imitate real books as much as possible and has Amazon’s book library behind it. I don’t know anything about Libby.
Reading this I ought to pack the kindle for the “30 minute” loading times.

Problem I find with Kindles and similar things, is they don’t work too well after being used as a fly swatter. Not a problem with a rolled up magazine. :laughing:

For me I prefer books and magazines, not a fan of book reader devices.

Never heard of Readly, will investigate that, thanks.

I read lots and have Kindle unlimited account at Amazon which gives a massive amount of titles and authors included in the sub.
Prefer real paper books but the amount of space they take up is ridiculous, always have half a dozen books sitting on the Kindle taking up no room at all in my work bag.

Kindle unlimited for me, into historical fiction. Mostly Romans, Greeks and Alexander the Great. Holiday in Halkidiki this year flying into Thessaloniki and staying for a few days before we drive down to the beach bit, will be driving up to Pella (the great mans birth city) for a wander around :smiley:

Ever since being in nappies i’ve always had folk read to me, so audiobooks for me. :smiley:

Juddian:

Readly is the commercial option, they will give you a free trial of up to 3 months. But can I recommend Libby instead. It is free, but more of a faff to setup involving obtaining a library membership.

stu675:

Juddian:

Readly is the commercial option, they will give you a free trial of up to 3 months. But can I recommend Libby instead. It is free, but more of a faff to setup involving obtaining a library membership.

Much obliged to my learned friend.

bigdave789:
Currently reading D Day the Battle for Normandy by Anthony Beevor in Hardback, got it off Amazon secondhand for a few quid along with Berlin 1945 The Downfall by the same author

I have just ordered these books of amazon. Looking forward to reading them. Just finished Bernard Cornwell’s book about Waterloo, that was a good read.

Charity shops- buy them, read them, donate them back, win win for the charity!

rearaxle:
Ever since being in nappies i’ve always had folk read to me, so audiobooks for me. :smiley:

That’s going to be my next thing.
I used to listen to talking book cassettes in the old days,.and then CDs.
My daughter suggested downloading one when I told her I need to start walking to get some excercise, but when I do I get bored walking round the familiar same old local places, so listening to a book through my buds will take my mind off it…brilliant idea. :smiley:

What is the best site for doing this btw?

I have had a kindle for a few years now don’t think I would change back to a book as kindle much smaller lighter easier to carry plenty books read a lot as don’t have a tv

Main libraries in town are a good source of audiobooks, I used to borrow books on CD, then they moved towards audiobook downloads using software called Overdrive. I preferred the CDs, but you could use the Overdrive without leaving home so that works too. They’ve got some other software now, an app called Libby, might have to try that sometime. Plenty of stuff available via TPB too, for those that are inclined :wink:

robroy:
I stick with the old school type book.
I read a lot of factual WW2 stories,

If you haven’t already read it, try this one - I can’t believe they’ve never made a movie out of this man’s life! The Japs thought he was a whole regiment of Aussie commandos, but it was just one man. He makes James Bond, Jason Bourne and Jack Bauer look like a bunch of snowflakes. He used to hit himself in the head with a cricket bat to make himself harder - Sounds like Vyvyan from The Young Ones :laughing:

This is the biography
amazon.co.uk/Jungle-Soldier … 8&qid=&sr=

This is the autobiography written by the man himself
ebay.co.uk/itm/143822237963 … d=89513421

robroy:
[

What is the best site for doing this btw?

Audible

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … pplication