Application for a expired licence

I know I’m being thick here so apologies. I’m coming up 60 at the end of March, my GHV licence expires on the 9th March. Got my medical forms today so everything is good so far.

However, I will be out of the country from next week for 10 weeks or so and I don’t have time to get my medical done, application sent and new licence back in time. I will be driving abroad but not HGV’s but really think I need to have my licence with me.

My question is, can I apply for my expired licence once I return? It will be expired by 6 weeks or so. I sure I’m ok but for the life of me, I can’t find the definitive answer anywhere. Can you help please? What is the expiry deadline before you lose your entitlements?

dally1:
I know I’m being thick here so apologies. I’m coming up 60 at the end of March, my GHV licence expires on the 9th March. Got my medical forms today so everything is good so far.

However, I will be out of the country from next week for 10 weeks or so and I don’t have time to get my medical done, application sent and new licence back in time. I will be driving abroad but not HGV’s but really think I need to have my licence with me.

My question is, can I apply for my expired licence once I return? It will be expired by 6 weeks or so. I sure I’m ok but for the life of me, I can’t find the definitive answer anywhere. Can you help please? What is the expiry deadline before you lose your entitlements?

Yes it will be fine to renew anytime after it expires, there is a deadline after expiry of HGV licence, but its counted in decades rather than weeks.
Did something similar a few years ago, where the HGV entitlement had ben expired for about 3 months before I renewed it.

No, you’ll need to resist your test…

Only joking. There is no time limit, you can always reinstate it with a medical. Happy travels!

Thanks both, I should know but best to ask.