Free Time when Tramping

I’m a new pass with a C+E license, with about 3 months Class C experience under my belt, and I’m looking to transition to C+E tramping work.

My question is: how much free time can I expect to have on a day to day basis once my day’s work is done? I’m aware of the driving hours / WTD rules, which should give me a bit of free time, but then I expect that breaks, and especially POA time when loading/unloading, can stretch the day out considerably and eat up any potential spare time in the day.

Another related question: do tramping locations tend to be very far removed from civilisation? Because even if I had a few spare hours in the day, it might be not be possible to properly spend them, if I’m in a truck depot in the middle of nowhere.

I ask mainly because I enjoy going to the gym on a regular basis, however being able to do things like go to the cinema or a restaurant sound like would make the job more enjoyable, rather than it being purely working snd sleeping while I’m away.

Have a good Christmas everyone.

Edit: accidentally typed trunking instead of tramping.

I’m not sure if you mean tramping rather than trunking, typically trunking will be either day or night work but will not usually involve nights out which is what I assume you’re referring to.

Tramping can mean being out all week, how much spare time you have after work will vary, to some extent it will depend on how you approach the job.

Edit: Just to add that breaks and POA cannot eat up your spare time, you’re required to have daily rest periods of 11 hours or 9 hours no more than three times between weekly rest periods, no amount of break or POA can change that.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

There are so many answers to your questions. Whether you are near civilisation or not depends on what you are delivering. For instance, if you’re taking a milk tanker to a farm, you may be a fair way from a town centre. If you’re delivering goods to shops, you will probably be near at least one shop!

Time and location at the end of your day depend on how you are managing your time. You may choose to run your hours out getting to a preferred location and then have a later start, or park up earlier for an earlier start.

Some drivers will work 15 hour days and utilise split rests, giving them very little time at the end of the day, while others will be able to get much more free time.

Going to a gym is certainly possible if that’s your thing - but a pair of trainers in the cab can be utilised pretty much wherever you are. I also see quite a few lorries with bikes attached.

Tramping is what YOU make it.

It may be a good idea for a MOD to change the topic title to “free Time when Tramping” and possibly move the thread to the PDF, the OP has mentioned that he’s a new driver so he shouldn’t get any flack in the PDF.

Come on MODs earn your bloody money for a change :grimacing:

All depends who work for how much they expect for you.
When I was tramping used be parked up around 6ish. Set off about 6 next morning.
In spare time used walk local.shops.
Find a curry house have a sit in meal .
Local pub.
Parked few times near town centres been for a nosey.
One.job had used have regular run down to Plymouth area.
Used park.up about 5 at Newton abbot walk down get train to toquay in the summer.
Be on the sea front about 6 have a few hours chilling out find a local eatery back about 10 pm.
All depends where job takes you and dictates wether your parked near anyware.
One advantage of tramping if you have a booked in collection / delivery next day.
You have the choice drive as close as you can finish late but don’t have get up early.
Or park further away start early to get there on time.
Once been doing it a while your find your going same places get to know the areas and your soon find your own parking places near to what you need

As Edd above, depends very much on who you work for, Bulk tippers I was run ragged, no time for anything apart from chuck some food down then hit the sack. was out of there pretty sharpish
Got on a brick crane, regular runs into the south west, sites open 7.30-8 last tip by half 3 so a lot more spare time in the evenings. Used to have my favourite little spots to park up. Taunton was a nice one, 10 mins walk into town, watched a bit of cricket a few evenings, some nice pubs for food, Had a nice one a bit further down by exeter too, short walk to a pub that did decent food and open mic night every other Wednesday. Used to get my run sheet on a friday afternoon and gave it a tweek to suit where I wanted to be parked of a certain evening.

All about the company you work for, Might have to take a bit of pain as a new pass for a while to get some experience and to find what suits you. One mans junk is anothers treasure as they say.

Georgeb200:
My question is: how much free time can I expect to have on a day to day basis once my day’s work is done?

Ideally none beyond the daily rest period so if you’re on a normal 11hr daily rest that’ll give you a couple of hours, if you’re on a 9hr reduced it’s basically food and sleep.

Another related question: do tramping locations tend to be very far removed from civilisation? Because even if I had a few spare hours in the day, it might be not be possible to properly spend them, if I’m in a truck depot in the middle of nowhere.

You may be lucky to even end up in a truck depot. My lad typically ends up parking up on industrial estates, in laybys etc. Depends entirely where your collection or delivery is. Some towns do have their official HGV parking in town, my town it is at the old cattle market car park right in the middle of the town. York though is near the livestock auctions nowhere near any residential area or pubs.

I ask mainly because I enjoy going to the gym on a regular basis, however being able to do things like go to the cinema or a restaurant sound like would make the job more enjoyable, rather than it being purely working snd sleeping while I’m away.

Yeah very unlikely to happen and when the opportunity presents itself you’re often that knackered all you want to do is have a shower, assuming you can get one, get some food down your throat and go to sleep.

I used to run in the mornings, or when I was stuck on a bay for a long tip, and I carried basic free weights in the cab. There’s a Facebook group you might find useful as well, if you’re ok to use that - search Trucker Who Run. Loads of different ideas in there, and a really good little community if you need extra motivation until you find yourself a new routine.

Your probably not going to have time to maintain your gym training route, as there are so many negatives inc trying to find some to park within close proximity of a gym will be difficult, the car parks of sites such a pure gym are on retail parks which are inevitably monitored by ANPR. A simple 1hr training session in a gym inevitably turns into 2hrs+ by the time you`ve got there, changed, showered and got back to the truck. All of which will eat into your down time.

Free time is before and after your shift nothing to do with anybody what or where you go or do. As for POA time your on the “clock” so your not actually free to do as you please
Parking up does not mean its far out of civilisation,might happen a few times,ask other drivers they don`tall park up in the back of beyond.

On more than…

One occasion, other drivers and myself would rent a small car if we were weekended in Madrid.

When parked for the inevitable 5 days in Cueta, Morocco, getting a taxi to yourself, telling the driver he was Micheal Schumacher and then hanging on for dear life. Last one to the destination got the first round in.

It’s your time off, do as you please.

Georgeb200:
I’m a new pass with a C+E license, with about 3 months Class C experience under my belt, and I’m looking to transition to C+E tramping work.

My question is: how much free time can I expect to have on a day to day basis once my day’s work is done? I’m aware of the driving hours / WTD rules, which should give me a bit of free time, but then I expect that breaks, and especially POA time when loading/unloading, can stretch the day out considerably and eat up any potential spare time in the day.

Have a good Christmas everyone.

Edit: accidentally typed trunking instead of tramping.

As you say mate, you know the hours, so it will be 11 hours min to yourself.
If you choose to reduce to 9, obviously 2 less minimum, but don’t make the mistake that the 9 and the 11 is a maximum, have as much time off as you feel that you need (within reason) …Note. minimum limits NOT targets as some firms like you to believe,.and some drivers are daft enough to believe so,.and the firm love them, but that should be up to you not your firm when or if you reduce your rests…again not compulsory.

POA? Not a clue, never use it, but if you are telling me it can affect your anount of time off, I never will either. :smiley:

Try and plan where to park up well before you have to,.and don’t be afraid to go slightly off route to find somewhere suitable with facilities.
Ask other drivers where there is anywhere in the vicinity of the area you expect to be.

Gyms? Not a clue either tbh. : :laughing: … But my equivalent is finding somewhere that does decent evening meals, especially a good pub where I can have a drink with it.

Avoid lay bys like herpes, firstly for the security aspect, (or lack of it)

Secondly because it is no life parking in some remote crap hole every night for 9hours to the nearest second, …and especially been rocked to death every 2mins with passing trucks…
Leave that life to the tear ■■■ endurance test gang,.and those with no sense of initiative who know no better than to make a better working life for themselves . :unamused:
An ind est near to town, preferably well lit,.a retail park… but check parking terms, or a designated truckstop…MSA last resort before lay by, but handy for a shower before parking up somewhere.

For those nights where you find yourself in such situations because of circumstances .carry some ready meals in your fridge if you have a cooking source on board, or if not some cold meat and salads…with cereal milk and coffee for morning…so buy a decent kettle.

As I always say tramping can be (and is) a decent job/life, but it is up to YOU how you go about it to determine whatever choice you go for,.so make the right one :bulb:
Good luck. :wink:

I have tramped for most of my hgv years, this question is like saying when you finish work what do you do with your free time. Well as an example of my experience, I taught myself cooking skills which i did not have before. I learnt to speak spanish, I learnt to read music and I read books. Most people nowadays have a tablet or use their phone but you will quickly get bored just watching tv or sitting on google. You are not like a prisoner in your cab or an unpaid security guard, so feel free to use your keys to lock up your cab and go out for a walk or run or whatever takes your fancy. Everyone is different but the point is don’t just think you are stuck in the cab 24/7. Definately avoid Lay-bys unless you are in the country side with a nice area but even then you do not have much in the way of facilities. I liked the peace and quiet away from it all, the sense of freedom and doing whatever I wanted was very refreshing from my previous job where I was 24/7 under pressure.
Use the time away from home constructively and it becomes quite a pleasurable job to do. Best of luck with it and find your own thing.

tachograph:
I’m not sure if you mean tramping rather than trunking, typically trunking will be either day or night work but will not usually involve nights out which is what I assume you’re referring to.

Tramping can mean being out all week, how much spare time you have after work will vary, to some extent it will depend on how you approach the job.

Edit: Just to add that breaks and POA cannot eat up your spare time, you’re required to have daily rest periods of 11 hours or 9 hours no more than three times between weekly rest periods, no amount of break or POA can change that.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

Its like you say its all down to what some call tramping and what is actually trunking