M42 closure over xmas for those who will be working

M42 closed for 11 days over Christmas to allow HS2 works to go ahead

Drivers have been warned of a major Christmas motorway shutdown. The M42 is set to be closed for a total 11 days to allow HS2 works to go ahead.

Work will be done in North Warwickshire between junctions 9 - for the Dunton Interchange - and Junction 10 - the Tamworth Interchange - to install the Marston Box bridge. The bridge will carry the HS2 line across the M42 to the area north of Lea Marston and Curdworth.

Lorries must follow a signed diversion to avoid a low bridge at Piccadilly, near Kingsbury.

The motorway will be fully closed on:

Southbound carriageway closure (Junctions 10 to 9) – from 9pm on Friday 23 December 2022 to 5am Tuesday 3 January 2023.
Northbound carriageway closure (Junctions 9 to 10) – from 5pm Saturday 24 December 2022 to 5am Tuesday 3 January 2023.

0_map1PNG.png

Streetview shows that bridge at 11ft 9” so I’m sure a decker drivers will have a go at it

peirre:
Streetview shows that bridge at 11ft 9” so I’m sure a decker drivers will have a go at it

Lolol

peirre:

Lol :laughing:

Any particular reason why they want trucks to go all the way to Lichfield, rather than take the A4091 or A453?

I’d seen the construction work going on around the site, but I haven’t seen any actual construction of the bridge going on, so where are there building the bridge that they’re installing? As the only one that I was aware of was the ones down by J6-J5 but AFAIK they were installed several weeks ago

the nodding donkey:
Any particular reason why they want trucks to go all the way to Lichfield, rather than take the A4091 or A453?

Probably the volume of traffic that would have to run through an urban area which would have the nimbys up in arms.

peirre:
Probably the volume of traffic that would have to run through an urban area which would have the nimbys up in arms.

More than likely this is the reason. Unless of course there’s road works on that road too and they’re using logic by not using it as a diversion, but I wouldn’t hold my breath

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Google image, July 2022, google.fr/maps/@52.5913442, … 8192?hl=en
Is that a temporary weight limit sign, face down on the grass?

KarlM:

peirre:

More than likely this is the reason. Unless of course there’s road works on that road too and they’re using logic by not using it as a diversion, but I wouldn’t hold my breath

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Only wondering, because the A4091 is signposted with the black dot in yellow square as a diversion route from J.9 :unamused:

They picked the best time to close it when people will be traveling around before/after the holidays in their cars.

In case anyone is curious about the new bridge and its installation
youtu.be/DxGd83rzcts

Has it reopened now? Can’t find any news to suggest it, other than Google Maps has removed the closure icons and it seems to show traffic coming off that section on the slip roads.

yep its open…