Bridge strike - 6 month HGV ban

A reminder to know the height of your vehicle.

A driver appearing before a TC has been suspended from driving HGVs for 6 months for getting stuck under a railways bridge.

At an earlier court hearing he was fined £715 and given 6 points for driving without due care and attention and contravening a traffic sign.

railadvent.co.uk/2022/12/fi … ridge.html

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

He should have got Carryfast as his defense advocate. :laughing:

He’s toast no argument there regarding bridge height marking.
It’s like stupid overhang trailers over 4m high trucks are an even worse liability on the road.
Let alone over 15’.
LHVs and a 4m height limit and anything over that height should be STGO regs with strictly planned routes, would be more practical and less aggro for drivers.

I think once you get banned,the points are removed

The points are valid for 3 years, but stay on your licence for 4 years.

Every little helps I guess :laughing:

Star down under.:

Like Meatloaf said “You took the words right out of my mouth…” :laughing:

SWEDISH BLUE:
The points are valid for 3 years, but stay on your licence for 4 years.

Yes, for this offence it will be four years, for others it can be up to 11 years, so after, e.g. a drink driving ban, the points are there for a good long time
gov.uk/penalty-points-endor … lty-points

No ,the points are removed after a ban,google it,you will see

I’ve just quoted the gov.uk website, and provided a direct link. If you believe you have evidence the info in that link is incorrect, please show me the link you’re reading.

pattersonlaw.co.uk/faqs/dri … ped-clean/
It is accurate information you are looking at but it is dealing with those people who havent totted up 12 points or been banned for drink driving.
So.for example,if you have 6 points,then a month later get banned for drink driving.Once you serve the disqualification,the 6 points are there but they cant count anymore towatds a totting up ban

Sploom:
I think once you get banned,the points are removed

If I’ve read it correctly the points were issued by a court for driving without due care and attention, the HGV ban was given at a later hearing by the local TC for getting a lorry stuck under a railway bridge, so I don’t see why the points would be removed when the ban ends.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

He’s been banned from using his HGV entitlement for 6 months Not his Car entitlement so the points will stand I believe as he still has a licence and can still tot up to 12 in the car…

Star down under.:

Currywürst has already added his comment to the article…

Sploom:
No ,the points are removed after a ban,google it,you will see

Yep, that applies to a DVLA licence, but he’s been banned on his vocational licence.
It means that during that 6 months HgV ban, he can still drive a car. So points stay for 3+1 yrs

What the media haven’t mentioned is the Brighton line closed / reduced for six hours. I wonder what compensation the operator will be charged - that’s certainly a good lesson on how or why good route planning is money well spent.

I’m surprised the driver was in this situation, the main road is the Coulsdon bypass. Which incidentally has a dedicated HGV/Bus lane on it that means you get the jump on those pesky car drivers. I love looking at their faces going bright red as I trundle along the inside while they sit in their queue. You even get the odd one straddle the lane to stop you. :smiley:

the nodding donkey:

Star down under.:
He should have got Carryfast as his defense advocate. [emoji38]

Gareth Thomas:
Unless the trailer slopes up at back that trailer is not over 15,3 and so bridge height is incorrect.

Is he right, do you get fridges that slope?
The leading edge looks fine, but badly damaged further back.

It would have been helpful if the journalist, Roger Smith, had been more accurate with his language and wrote “the driver’s HGV entitlement was suspended by the TC”, which is entirely independent of any points on a licence, so would have avoided the obvious confusion.

Anyway, the real issue is not how long the points will remain visible, but the duration of the suspension; six WEEKS is the typical starting point (historically) for suspension of entitlement following a bridge strike, not six MONTHS, so I’d be interested to know what the TC (presumably Sarah Bell) said to the driver about the incident and what her reasoning was. We’ll never know because unlike a PI, TC’s don’t share the details of a DCH, they just supply the outcome.

And to find out details of financial penalties against the operator normally takes an FOI request, the rail authorities are rarely ready to spill the beans, which is strange considering it could be a useful “educational tool” :laughing:

the nodding donkey:

Star down under.:

Yes, and immediately muddied the waters with immaterial numbers, not unlike that other character-defining thread :unamused:

I can’t believe no one has said it yet, but… are we sure this was a real bridge strike and not simply just an interference fit? :laughing:

Acorn:
What the media haven’t mentioned is the Brighton line closed / reduced for six hours. I wonder what compensation the operator will be charged -

I’ve got some facts and figures for a twenty-year-old incident involving a car transporter closing the East Coast main line for seven hours. That bill was a tad over £1,000,000 (plus interest), so adjusting for inflation, I’d reckon that’s an easy 2 million. No doubt there’s been some frantic manoeuvering by the insurers to see if they can duck out of coughing up.