Another WTD query

I know this sort of question has been asked to death, but I can’t find an answer for this ‘particular’ scenario.
Can you legally work 6-1, 6-2 as long as on the 6-2 you take enough time off to pay back the reduced rest?

Simple answer no; someone with a greater knowledge than me will be along shortly soon no doubt, but my understanding is that on the pattern you mentioned there will come eventually an “overlap “ where you are not fulfilling the weekly rest requirements.

Why do you want to work 6days in the first place? Find a hobby to do not working all the time.

the maoster:
Simple answer no; someone with a greater knowledge than me will be along shortly soon no doubt, but my understanding is that on the pattern you mentioned there will come eventually an “overlap “ where you are not fulfilling the weekly rest requirements.

There was a similar question a while back that did fall down after several weeks.
But was it exactly the same I don`t remember? Did that one involve different start times, differing shifts too?

Very often “the devil is in the detail”.

Is it 36 off on the first week, so keeping the same shift?
Or 24 off so changing from day to night for the following week?
That makes a difference on how many hours need to be recouped.

I`m not sure that the info given, “6+1 then 6+2” is sufficient to make a call on it.

^^^^ IIRC there are a myriad of permutations that come into play to make that shift pattern unworkable. I think that something like 6 on and 3 off works, but then again I stand to be corrected.

As I advance in years though I do tend to agree with the post further above which simply asks why would you? Easy for me to say though.

the maoster:
^^^^ IIRC there are a myriad of permutations that come into play to make that shift pattern unworkable. I think that something like 6 on and 3 off works, but then again I stand to be corrected.

As I advance in years though I do tend to agree with the post further above which simply asks why would you? Easy for me to say though.

Youre right there. And as you say what we currently want from work isnt necessarily the same as the OP wants or maybe needs.

the maoster:

My guess is that the only shift pattern that can consistently work without change is (assuming a start after 00.01 Monday) 5 on/2 off followed by 6/1.

That’s EU regs not working time directive!

6 on 2 off can be legal upto 11 weeks. I’m not gonna work it out, but 6/1, 6/2 will be a bit less than that.

The reason it doesn’t work permanently is because the weekly rest keeps moving back a day, so you end up with a situation where there isn’t a weekly rest allocated to a fixed week

You’ll be in a situation where there weekly rest will count for the fixed week that’s ending, then the following week the weekly rest will count for the fixed week that’s starting, so you’ll have a fixed week in the middle without a weekly rest, so you’d then fall foul of the in any 2 consecutive fixed weeks you must have at least 2 weekly rests rule.

You can solve this by taking 3 days off that cross sun/Mon midnight, at least 69 hours anyway as that is a back to back weekly rest, so will count for the week that’s ending and the week that’s beginning, a weekly rest less than 69 hours that is in 2 fixed weeks can count in either but not both

Yeah ^^^ just wot I waz gonna say. But didn’t :wink:

the maoster:
Yeah ^^^ just wot I waz gonna say. But didn’t :wink:

:laughing:

You said it, just in a lot less words!

It will depend to some extent on your start and finish times but as you can see from the image if you start a 6-1 6-2 days shift pattern on a Monday you will need to adjust it around week 4 or 5 or thereabouts.
In the image you can see that the only reason you get past week 3 is because the weekly rest period started on Sunday.

Thanks all for your answers, and your concerns too. Franglais was right in saying my circumstances for wanting this were unknown.
I’m doing an 8 week project and am hoping these are the only 8 weeks I work this year. So, I am aiming to maximise my earnings during it. Hope that gives an insight to my reasons for wanting to know the most I can do. And POA is my best buddy throughout!
So far the shifts have been 12hrs each, so the reduced rest it’s 36hrs.

LazyDriver:
Thanks all for your answers, and your concerns too. Franglais was right in saying my circumstances for wanting this were unknown.
I’m doing an 8 week project and am hoping these are the only 8 weeks I work this year. So, I am aiming to maximise my earnings during it. Hope that gives an insight to my reasons for wanting to know the most I can do. And POA is my best buddy throughout!
So far the shifts have been 12hrs each, so the reduced rest it’s 36hrs.

So just grabbing what you can for a few weeks to top up your pension :wink:

^^^^ :smiley: