Oil spill

Offered some assistance to a driver today on the services, he was carrying a grinding machine on his truck and he had discovered oil leaking from the machine onto his bed, through the floor boards and onto the road, while he was waiting for a manager from his company to arrive, he was trying his best to stop anymore oil leaking, he told me that the machine must hold around 100 litres of oil and thinks maybe 10-20 litres had been lost from when he collected it to 30 miles later he stopped on the services to make sure everything was ok

He didn’t know what his next steps was in regards to reporting the incident, what sort of trouble he would be in and what he could of done differently

I took the blokes number and told him about the forums I visit and how they can offer great advise, told him if I had some good information then I would give him a call

Any help regarding this matter would certainly be educational for me and maybe a great help to a fellow driver

Many thanks [emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll be very interesting to see what our TM qualified contributors reckon with their company hat on. :smiley:

If he was waiting for a manager to arrive then he’s done all he can in reporting it. Oil leaks can happen spontaneously but more likely over time. If its too bad just don’t go any further. If it was ■■■■■■■ through the trailer boards onto the road then it obviously needs attention.

As it happens…

We are having “spill” training on Friday, although we already have an idea of what to do, because we carry Haz… and we carry spill kits, at least it’ll go towards my cpc!!!

He’s done the right thing contacting his manager, and staying put.

If there are any salt bins around you could dam it with the rock salt or any loose soil nearby!!

Stephenjp:
As it happens…

We are having “spill” training on Friday, although we already have an idea of what to do, because we carry Haz… and we carry spill kits, at least it’ll go towards my cpc!!!

He’s done the right thing contacting his manager, and staying put.

If there are any salt bins around you could dam it with the rock salt or any loose soil nearby!!

This. Contain it any way you can, and keep it away from drains. Keep pedestrians cyclists and motorcyclists away from the affected area for obvious reasons if it happens on the road. Further to that, as a biker myself I’d try to flag down and warn any coming t’other way that there’s potential spillage behind you.

I have forwarded this information on to the driver, he was very appreciative and somewhat relieved that his judgement was right

He told me highway patrol were involved after I left, his manager attended, the spill was contained and he was able to complete the rest of his journey with an attendant following behind

They are now waiting to see if there will be charges placed for the clean up needed

[emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk