Reduced allowed patking times in services

Is it right that a few services are only allowing 20 mins free parking, or is it just the usual type drivercrap.?..ok just to say it was mentioned to me in an rdc btw,.so I’m keeping an open mind. :unamused:

I thought that by law they were legally obliged to provide enough free time to allow you to have your statutory break.
I was told (although no specific msa s were mentioned) that certain firms were receiving anpr based fines.
IF it is true does anybody know the MSAs in question…my guess is if it’s true it’ll be in the SE. :unamused:

robroy:
Is it right that a few services are only allowing 20 mins free parking, or is it just the usual type drivercrap.?..ok just to say it was mentioned to me in an rdc btw,.so I’m keeping an open mind. :unamused:

I thought that by law they were legally obliged to provide enough free time to allow you to have your statutory break.
I was told (although no specific msa s were mentioned) that certain firms were receiving anpr based fines.
IF it is true does anybody know the MSAs in question…my guess is if it’s true it’ll be in the SE. :unamused:

AFAIK it’s just a few small ones not on the motorway network

Yeah I’ve seen it in a few petrol station type services but not at a motorway service area.

I have also seen it, but only in the smaller ones, the new one in bridgwater only allows 30mins from entry

Howden Hill, opp Exeter racecourse used to be 30 mins. I think there was a campaign and they were told to extend it so drivers could have a 45.

Sounds like I’ve picked the guy up wrong then, …I’m sure he mentioned motorway services, but you know how things get exaggerated.

Since 1979 by law… startrescue.co.uk/breakdown … -explained
All Motorways and A roads that have signs directing people towards them… motorwayservices.uk/Parking

For official MSA there has to be a minimum of 2 hours free parking.

Requirements
Motorway service areas must provide the following facilities 24 hours a day:
Two hours free parking
Free toilets and baby-changing facilities
Showers for HGV drivers
A free picnic and children’s play area
Fuel
Hot food and hot drinks
Access to a cash operated telephone
Access for those carrying out duties on behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport
Source:
motorwayservices.uk/Motorway_se … quirements

This was also a policy requirement for truckstops signed from the “strategic road network”:

Source:
gov.uk/government/speeches/ … in-england

shullbit:
Since 1979 by law… startrescue.co.uk/breakdown … -explained

I remember the days before ■■■■ cameras :unamused: , it was a free for all
We all used to meet up at Charnock Richard overnight, to walk over to Park Hall nightclub, the poor guy who was there to collect parking was told by everybody ''No money mate, just ring the number on the door ‘’ :smiley: …but they have deffo got their own back by the exorbitant prices they pay these days.

It is possible that the garage forecourt on an MSA could limit their few parking spaces to 20 minutes or so as the MSA as a whole will have other designated areas for the free 2 hour parking.

bristolrob:
I have also seen it, but only in the smaller ones, the new one in bridgwater only allows 30mins from entry

Their website says 2 hours.

moto-way.com/services/bridgwater/

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ScaniaUltimate:
It is possible that the garage forecourt on an MSA could limit their few parking spaces to 20 minutes or so as the MSA as a whole will have other designated areas for the free 2 hour parking.

Which wouldn’t be a bad idea at all, it wouldn’t stop the ‘‘grab a 15 minute break while filling up’’ haven’t a minute to live crew, but would stop them going for the full 30 minute disappearing act.

Roymondo:

bristolrob:

Think he is on about a different services , there is a large new BP garage the next junction up from the services your thinking , the new services has uk fuels etc and gets pretty busy but not a big parking area so I thinks it’s that one .
Doesn’t help when drivers pull up sit on the pump for 10 mins and emerge with tea & doughnuts etc and not a hint of fuel like the ■■■■ in front of me a few weeks back .
Sorry that does my head in .

Happy Trucker1:

Roymondo:

bristolrob:

Think he is on about a different services , there is a large new BP garage the next junction up from the services your thinking , the new services has uk fuels etc and gets pretty busy but not a big parking area so I thinks it’s that one .

Ah - a service station that just happens to be close to a Motorway but not, apparently, a Motorway Service Area.

I do not know if this is true I was talking to a German chap at the mach loop, he told me you can pull in anywhere safe if you are tiered and it is ok …sounds good to me :neutral_face:

fuse:
I do not know if this is true I was talking to a German chap at the mach loop, he told me you can pull in anywhere safe if you are tiered and it is ok …sounds good to me :neutral_face:

You can pull in anywhere? Or only when driving in Mid Wales? Or only in Germany? Do the local plod come and put chalk lines/cones around your lorry? What if you are not “tiered”?

A few years ago, there was a lad on here doing continental work. He posted a picture showing where he weekended on a M/way hard shoulder. I think it was in Greece.

CLUE ,I was talking to a German chap ,I got the idea he must be on about in Germany …tired drivers are ok I think it is a good thing of course it would never be allowed in this country :angry: