Rights of way on Hinckley m69 roundabout

So,youve crossed the white line on the green light but you can only go a trucks length,then the lights change.The vehicles joining the expect you to wait,but it was already on green.Its not a box junction.So,who has the right of way here?
(Patronisers,please bypass my question,its not aimed at you)

Traffic lights on roundabouts create the worst of all worlds situation of give way to traffic entering a roundabout but even when there is nothing actually entering the roundabout.
The result being that the roundabout gets blocked by queuing traffic waiting needlessly on the roundabout at every red light deliberately phased to change to red at every entry point.It’s all part of the road use disincentivisation scam.
On that note the general rule is to treat roundabouts or in fact all junctions like box junctions, don’t block them.But with obvious and intended results in the real world.

Sploom:
So,youve crossed the white line on the green light but you can only go a trucks length,then the lights change.The vehicles joining the expect you to wait,but it was already on green.Its not a box junction.So,who has the right of way here?
(Patronisers,please bypass my question,its not aimed at you)

You because you have passed the white line on a green light.

Once you enter the roundabout & aren’t blocking a yellow box then they should be giving way to you, of course with the aggression on the road these days everybody seems to think they have right of way.
Anyway when traffic in front of you starts moving again just inch forward and Don’t give them space to bully you, a friendly toot is sometimes required though :smiling_imp:

Yes,this is it,Ive gone through on green but the drivers joining the roundaboùt expect me to wait till it goes green again,even though Im a truck length padt the line

Nobody has right of way.

rambo19:
Nobody has right of way.

Correct rambo, looks like we have found a professional that knows the rules. Seems to be a bit of a rarity these days. :laughing:

I was at the roundabout last Friday at the West Bromwich Interchange for the M5 and it took me 45 minutes to join the M5 driving about 200m on the roundabout approach. The reason? Every numbskull blocking every part of the roundabout which has yellow box areas which were all full. This roundabout has traffic lights, and every time yours went to green, noone could move. When I finally got round to the M5 NB entrance, my lights had to change 4 times as I couldn’t progress onto the empty slip road due to numerous aholes sat stationary in the box junction. Times like that you wish you had a battering ram on the front of the truck!

It happens all the time.^^^^^ Why? Because probably 90% of drivers don’t know the rules or don’t care about them.
If drivers knew the rules and stuck to them then the roads would be a safer place and driving may become enjoyable again especially
for all the stress heads which seem to be increasing.
Unfortunately some think they are ok to break the rules. They don’t apply to them. They are better than others and will never have or cause an accident and only care about No. 1. :unamused:

jakethesnake:
It happens all the time.^^^^^ Why? Because probably 90% of drivers don’t know the rules or don’t care about them.
If drivers knew the rules and stuck to them then the roads would be a safer place and driving may become enjoyable again especially
Unfortunately some think they are ok to break the rules. They don’t apply to them. They are better than others and will never have or cause an accident and only care about No. 1. :unamused:

They know the rules they choose to ignore them . Take Swordsy’s post above - I’d bet good money if a few traffic policepersons had been standing around taking down registration numbers and video there wouldn’t have been as many in the box junctions - the aggogant, ignorant and self entitled f@%k it up for everyone else .

Swordsy:
I was at the roundabout last Friday at the West Bromwich Interchange for the M5 and it took me 45 minutes to join the M5 driving about 200m on the roundabout approach. The reason? Every numbskull blocking every part of the roundabout which has yellow box areas which were all full. This roundabout has traffic lights, and every time yours went to green, noone could move. When I finally got round to the M5 NB entrance, my lights had to change 4 times as I couldn’t progress onto the empty slip road due to numerous aholes sat stationary in the box junction. Times like that you wish you had a battering ram on the front of the truck!

I’m sorry but I need some clarification, lights changed 4 times in 45 minutes? so the lights changed every 21minutes.

tommymanc:

Swordsy:

I’m sorry but I need some clarification, lights changed 4 times in 45 minutes? so the lights changed every 21minutes.

45 minutes to cover 200m approach to the roundabout plus 4 changes of lights on the roundabout. Was written pretty clearly [emoji2]
Surely even 4 full cycles of lights would be 11 minutes each?

beefy4605:

jakethesnake:

They know the rules they choose to ignore them . Take Swordsy’s post above - I’d bet good money if a few traffic policepersons had been standing around taking down registration numbers and video there wouldn’t have been as many in the box junctions - the aggogant, ignorant and self entitled f@%k it up for everyone else .

Exactly right and that’s what we need. Far more chance of them getting nicked for their arrogant ignorant selfish ways. A couple of hundred quid every time might make them think. :wink:
Oh and 3 points. :smiley:

Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right.
Highway Code 176.

tommymanc:

Swordsy:

45minutes to go from 1 roundabout on approach, a stretch of road maybe 200-300m, then another roundabout to get on M5. not 45 mins for the lights to change! :slight_smile:

The box junction violations were on the final roundabout.

I was unit only as well, with a trailer it would have probably taken longer!!

On a normal day the whole thing would take 1-2 minutes.

Franglais:
Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right.
Highway Code 176.

It’s not hard is it? But some drivers think they know better. Make up their own selfish rules where they are always right and everyone else is wrong. :laughing:

It’s absolutely appalling the lack of basic driving knowledge from some so called professional drivers. They need to give themselves a big shake. :unamused:

Franglais:
Highway Code 176.

Fine in theory but totally useless when the lights on the roundabout are deliberately phased to block the roundabout by turning red in sequence and staying red for too long. Thereby allowing traffic to enter a roundabout on green that then isn’t allowed to clear it because of the sequence of following red lights on it.
All in the hope that journey times are untenable and drivers give up and go by train instead.

Swordsy:

Surprised they haven’t got box camers there then
That would sort the problem and also raise a few pennies for the local council