New DAF XD

New DAF XD replacement for CF .Truck of the year.

daf.global/en-us/trucks/new … ion-daf-xd

Seen plenty of them at the assembly plant at Leyland as I go in there very regularly, and they are all over the place. However, there are plenty of the old models of all the CF and XF still there, (Some still unbuilt.) and probably ripe for a bargain for an operator, as DAF will want to move them.

Ken.

Forgive my ignorance, but how can a vehicle as yet unlaunched in any great number therefore untested and untried for reliability performance (let alone the most important thing, dealer back up) out in the real world possibly earn Truck of the Year award.
Or is this award similar to car awards, where journalists and others enjoying various ‘‘jollies’’ and play days vote for something they’ll write about and possibly test drive for a time but never actually use in the workplace.

Looks neater than the outgoing model, hopefully real mirrors will be offered as an alternative to cameras, and did i see the driver applying a real honest to goodness manual park brake? if so hats off to Daf for not following the herd mentality, at least re electric park brakes.

My thoughts exactly ,how can you launch a model on the monday and it is truck of he years tuesday…It seems to be the new model from any make gets it ,I dare say the electronic handbrake may be an option…I find it mad that there are all these electronic option ie cameras as an example ,but no chips for the ecu to have them working ,Shouldnt manufacturers be cutting back on gizmos until they can reliably supply them

Electronic Handbrake ■■■■■.

That being said that new DAF interior looks nice. Then again, I’m used to driving 2009 DAFs that are a POS.

norb:
My thoughts exactly ,how can you launch a model on the monday and it is truck of he years tuesday…It seems to be the new model from any make gets it ,I dare say the electronic handbrake may be an option…I find it mad that there are all these electronic option ie cameras as an example ,but no chips for the ecu to have them working ,Shouldnt manufacturers be cutting back on gizmos until they can reliably supply them

Better yet, how about manufacturers stop fitting electronic gizmos to lorries unless they work in all conditions – yes DAF, i mean you!… alternatively, how about a big OFF button that actually turns all the, frankly, dangerous ‘Driver Aids’ off!?

Case in point… anyone who has tried to take an XF across the A82 from Fort William to Inverness… :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

adam277:
Electronic Handbrake ■■■■■.

That being said that new DAF interior looks nice. Then again, I’m used to driving 2009 DAFs that are a POS.

I’ve been doing few runs in a Merc van.
Stupid hadnbrake is a 4th pedal next to clutch pedal to apply
To release is a pull handle on the dash.

Why there doing this god knows felt emabrresed having to ask where and how to apply the handbrake

Truck of the year is a stupid award as it only counts for trucks first released that year. So Volvo update the FH one year, Mercedes update the Actors the next etc etc and they’re all truck of the year :unamused: