Job with a ban

HI,

I’ve recently been given a 56day driving ban and assuming I get to keep my HGV license later (need to send a grovelling letter to the traffic commissioner)
how likely/unlikely am I to get a job after I’m allowed to drive again?
I’ve looked at plenty of jobs and none of the mention bans on the penalty code I have, just points.
I have attached a picture of my endorsements so you can see for yourselves.
Any advise will be appreciated.
Thanks
Memphis

TBH getting two SP50s not even 8 months apart, especially speeding bad enough on a motorway to get a ban which means 100MPH you shouldn’t be behind the steering wheel of a lorry. I expect the views of the TC will be equally unfavourable.

You’ll find work should the TC allow you to keep your licence, it’s just who with. Decent companies and large ones like Culina, DHL, Wincanton etc will likely be out of the question but there’ll always be those at the bottom end who struggle to get drivers who’ll give you a job. A mate of mine lost his cherry of a job with a caravan moving firm that was one of the best paying when he got a ban under totting up. Modular Movements, originally Skeltons Transport which had season tickets with the TC, were happy to give him a job because paying nowt, running sheds and having their drivers work questionable hours they’ll take anyone they can get as those who have a choice to work anywhere else won’t touch them.

My guess is one offence in Jan convicted in July.

I’d imagine you’ll struggle but as Conor says you may find a job but it won’t be anywhere near the top end of the market.

I’m not going to lecture, you know you should have acted better especially when your job relies on it, but none of us are perfect.

I’m slightly curios as to speed and circumstances though!

I’ll be surprised if you keep your HGV entitlement, especially if you’re up in front of the TC…

id think hard about some other line of work in the meantime. Run up to crimbo you could be in sales temporary hire in a toy store and you scoff but the fresh contacts you make could end up being a godsend -often times iv found the real lowly work has a golden egg at the end of it

I guess its for the best really… I’ve been looking to get out of truck driving and this might be the push that I needed

Conor:
TBH getting two SP50s not even 8 months apart, especially speeding bad enough on a motorway to get a ban which means 100MPH you shouldn’t be behind the steering wheel of a lorry. I expect the views of the TC will be equally unfavourable.

You’ll find work should the TC allow you to keep your licence, it’s just who with. Decent companies and large ones like Culina, DHL, Wincanton etc will likely be out of the question but there’ll always be those at the bottom end who struggle to get drivers who’ll give you a job. A mate of mine lost his cherry of a job with a caravan moving firm that was one of the best paying when he got a ban under totting up. Modular Movements, originally Skeltons Transport which had season tickets with the TC, were happy to give him a job because paying nowt, running sheds and having their drivers work questionable hours they’ll take anyone they can get as those who have a choice to work anywhere else won’t touch them.

and i’m sure you’ve never done anything wrong before… ah well…

What happened with your present firm ? Did they sack you and tell you never to come back ?

Tipper driver by any chance :laughing:

Definitely need to be “requesting” to have your entitlement reinstated :laughing: , here’s some reading material that might help as it shows that you can get your HGV entitlement reinstated: Statutory Document No.6, Driver Conduct, updated this month, (despite the date in the url)
gov.uk/government/publicati … nuary-2016

Future employment if you were to stay in the industry would probably be at the lower end of the spectrum naturally.

Memphis464:

Conor:

I certainly haven’t got caught speeding twice in a single year, I’ve only got caught twice in the 33 years I’ve had a licence - first time in 1989, second time in 2015 and certainly nowhere near fast enough to get a ban. It ain’t hard to avoid being caught speeding especially nowadays, you just have to actually be looking around paying attention to what’s going on and have a functioning brain connected to those eyeballs. First time I got caught was when police still used to hide behind trees with a speed gun then jump out and catch you.

Memphis464:

Conor:

Oh course he hasn’t silly. You’ve can see the smugness from space at this stage

switchlogic:

Memphis464:

Conor:

Oh course he hasn’t silly. You’ve can see the smugness from space at this stage

That and the eagerness to bask in someone else’s troubles.

One of my closest friends has just started on dhl despite being previously banned for a drink drive offence so I wouldn’t take too much notice of some comments.

Conor:

Surely this is the very acme of “Six points OK” with so many firms out there? :confused:
Looking from the reverse angle, are there any firms out there yet who DON’T take on a driver unless they have zero points :question:

Conor:

The decent companies that you mention there are the ones to be avoided. Staffed by steering wheel attendants and bean counters. The likes of which post frequently on here worrying how long the prison sentence is for an infringement or overspeed, or how to find a drop without a method statement and risk assessment. He will get a job at a proper firm no problem at all, speeding offences in your car has no bearing on how you drive a truck. I still regularly drive my car enthusiastically, the op just needs to be more careful where and when he does it

Night-and-day:

Conor:
Decent companies and large ones like Culina, DHL, Wincanton

The decent companies that you mention there are the ones to be avoided. Staffed by steering wheel attendants and bean counters. The likes of which post frequently on here worrying how long the prison sentence is for an infringement or overspeed, or how to find a drop without a method statement and risk assessment. He will get a job at a proper firm no problem at all

Really? Why is that - because they like to make sure things are done properly?

As for the rest of the rubbish you put, you are making a big generalization there. I have worked for Wincanton on the Argos contract and currently work for DHL on one of their contracts and they are the 2 best jobs I have had in this industry. If I had to be critical they are both OTT on H&S (especially DHL) but that’s it. And I have no idea why you have an issue because they provide risk assessments for drops, I’m perfectly capable of finding delivery points without them but if the company is going to provide something to “help” then I’m all for it.

What would your definition of “a proper firm” be?

tmcassett:

Night-and-day:

Conor:
Decent companies and large ones like Culina, DHL, Wincanton

The decent companies that you mention there are the ones to be avoided. Staffed by steering wheel attendants and bean counters. The likes of which post frequently on here worrying how long the prison sentence is for an infringement or overspeed, or how to find a drop without a method statement and risk assessment. He will get a job at a proper firm no problem at all

Really? Why is that - because they like to make sure things are done properly?

As for the rest of the rubbish you put, you are making a big generalization there. I have worked for Wincanton on the Argos contract and currently work for DHL on one of their contracts and they are the 2 best jobs I have had in this industry. If I had to be critical they are both OTT on H&S (especially DHL) but that’s it. And I have no idea why you have an issue because they provide risk assessments for drops, I’m perfectly capable of finding delivery points without them but if the company is going to provide something to “help” then I’m all for it.

What would your definition of “a proper firm” be?

have to agree…i’ve been with DHL for 12 years now,and a good Co. to work for. never asked or expected to break any rules,or limit’s…just a bit OTT with the paperwork imo.

Ditto for Tesco. I’m glad I chucked in a “proper job” along with the proper job hours and the Scania S500. Never had terns or pay so good comparable to other jobs I’ve had

Have you been called in for a “chat” with the TC without tea and biscuits? if not i would expect it to come, They are getting very hot on offences by HGV licence holders (makes them look good) I have an ex colleague who recently got into a heated chat with another driver and got arrested and charged , the Police reported him to the TC even though it isnt a traffic offence and he has been invited for a chat without tea and biscuits