Changes to the CPC

So……… today was the day, you know that day where you lose 7 hours of your life sat in a room you don’t want to be in with people you definitely don’t want to be with or that close to! Yes CPC day. The topic? Well that was smart motorways which I found rather ironic as we are in Cornwall, (a county with no motorway) let alone anything smart :laughing:
Anyways my attention was soon grabbed when the bloke running the course mentioned there are changes ahead for the driver CPC. While most of us hoped when we left our European friends we would then scrap the course that unfortunately is not happening. However what they are planning apparently is for seasoned drivers with 5 years or more experience we will only have to have one 7 hour refresher course every 5 years which would consist more of any updates and changes within law that have been introduced which would affect us drivers.
Drivers with 0 to 4 years would still have to do the same existing 7 hours a year up to 5 years.
Personally I think this is a change for the better and long over due. I apologise if this has been on here before but I’ve not seen it so thought I’d post it to see what everyone else thinks.
Also you cannot now sit the same course in the 5 year current format nor can you do them all in one week anymore.

Lets hope he was telling the truth.

So does that mean the likes of me, (grandfather rights, did 5 days in a week) by the time I’m due for renewal I’ll qualify for 5 yrs experience, so only need one day? Basically everyone will qualify as 5 yrs qualified on first renewal?

By the sounds of it yes Stu. As a new pass you’ll have to do 5 years and then qualify to do one refresher course every 5 years. Apparently a study was done and it was recognised that 7 hours a year just wasn’t teaching old dogs new tricks and was essentially a waste of time. I just hope he was right and this comes to fruition

Jimjam81:
Drivers with 0 to 4 years would still have to do the same existing 7 hours a year up to 5 years.

Took me sometime to understand what you was saying. But drivers with more then 5yrs only do one 7 hour course, whilst the less experience <5 years still have to do the 35 huors?

If this is true how would this apply to people like myself, who have been driving trucks for 19years but only buses/coaches less then the 5 years?

If its only one 7 course every 5 years ,it seems a bit pointless to me.What benefit will you get from that?
They might as well scrap the whole idea

I’d take anything with a pinch of salt until an official announcement is made. Talking to one of our drivers who has a friend who is a drive trainer, he has been told that it will become once a year as it is now and a pass/fail type exam.

We all know that CPC trainers are not always the most knowledgeable or have all the right facts.

Either way the CPC in its current form leaves a lot to be desired a lot of the time.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Sploom:
If its only one 7 course every 5 years ,it seems a bit pointless to me.What benefit will you get from that?
They might as well scrap the whole idea

Get real man, …No it ain’t pointless,
Have things changed Sooo much in last 4 years since the last time you took it, for you to actually NEED another 5 day ■■■■ course of shear boredom to catch up?
7 hours is ample for anybody with half a brain (not referring to you personally btw. :smiley: )

Although your suggestion to scrap it sounds ok to me, but that will never happen, not because they feel the need to up standards (has NOT happened yet incidentally :unamused: ) but because it is now an actual industry where too many people are making money out of it. :bulb:

fingermissing:
Lets hope he was telling the truth.

Making it up as he was going along/winging it, like most of them do :laughing:

What qualifications do you require to become a DCPC presenter? Apart from the ability to talk ZB in an authoritive and confident manner, none at all.

There was a consultation in 2020
content.govdelivery.com/account … ns/2819912
and that doesn`t seem to mention cutting it down as the OP describes.

I can`t see anything since?

simcor:
I’d take anything with a pinch of salt until an official announcement is made. Talking to one of our drivers who has a friend who is a drive trainer, he has been told that it will become once a year as it is now and a pass/fail type exam.
We all know that CPC trainers are not always the most knowledgeable or have all the right facts.
Either way the CPC in its current form leaves a lot to be desired a lot of the time.

Seems about right to me.

alamcculloch:
What qualifications do you require to become a DCPC presenter? Apart from the ability to talk ZB in an authoritive and confident manner, none at all.

Only if you’re doing it for one of the (many) really poor outfits. This is why I used to encourage people/companies to choose their training provider with a bit more care, but I’ve stopped bothering with that.

I do ADR on behalf of a good company who also do bog-standard DCPC as well as TMCPC and a host of other stuff. All their instructors are trained in teaching techniques, one is an actual proper teacher, all are TMCPC qualified, several are highly experienced drivers. When my drivers need their once a year DCPC, I send them where I know they’ll learn useful stuff and won’t get bored senseless.

As for the original post, there have not been any changes officially announced, he/she is just adding to the rumour mill at this point.

Franglais:
There was a consultation in 2020
content.govdelivery.com/account … ns/2819912
and that doesn`t seem to mention cutting it down as the OP describes.

I can`t see anything since?

There was another consultation by way of a survey. I don’t have a link right now but I sat in when someone else was giving their responses to the survey.

robroy:
it is now an actual industry where too many people are making money out of it. :bulb:

An opportunity that is open to anyone who wants to get their nose in at that trough. See gov.uk, it’s all on there.

I once posted the info on how to set yourself up delivering DCPC. For most people, when they see the mountain of testicle ache involved in getting up and running with this scheme, they’ll decide there isn’t enough money in it to make it worthwhile - I certainly wouldn’t choose it, there’s far easier ways to make far more money than that soul-destroying repetitive task.

Most people don’t see the start up costs, running costs and standing costs in an enterprise, they just look at the price of the offering then multiply it by the number of punters and assume its a big earner.

alamcculloch:

CPC trainers have to be registered and JAUPT approved, what that actually entails though I have little idea. But one presumes they are trained in such matters by someone with more knowledge or at least attends seminars about the latest laws etc. So in theory they should know exactly what they are talking about and have all the correct info that is available.

A number of trainers I had had my courses with though like to try to make it interesting, and will often skirt around questions or tell people what they think they want to hear saying it might be X Y or Z nstead of just saying we do not have any clarification on that, so anything would merely be speculation, in due course when things get announced by relevant departments we will then know and that will be address into new course etc.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:

alamcculloch:

simcor:
CPC trainers have to be registered and JAUPT approved,

Yes, they need to be DVSA and JAUPT approved, and if my contacts were the crappy kind of DCPC providers, I could get you approved to deliver it easy as pie, even though I’ve never met you. All it takes is a letter from the training provider, basically saying “Oh aye, wor Jackie’s mint, he naars it aal like” and voila! Bob’s your auntie’s live-in-lover.

The only “quality control” is via the occasional Jaupt audit. but you could teach any doughnut to get through one of those tick box exercises as long as he had a basic script.

I’ve had my ADR “assessed” by these nugget auditors occasionally, boring little men with a clipboard of tickboxes, who then try to one-up me in respect of dangerous goods they don’t even understand - how can a non-ADR-qualified auditor tell me my DG teaching isn’t good enough? They can’t, but it doesn’t stop them trying their little socks off :unamused:

Zac_A:
how can a non-ADR-qualified auditor tell me my DG teaching isn’t good enough? They can’t, but it doesn’t stop them trying their little socks off :unamused:

Because they’re testing you on the methodology and quality of the teaching, not the content. So for example a lesson should start off with introducing yourself and going over what the aim of the lesson is and the objective at the end, doing a quick go round to see what level of knowledge people have, doing a bit of teaching, seeing if people are picking it up by doing Q&A, a round up at the end and seeing if any students wanted anything clarifying or explaining again. And it should be delivered in a clear understandable manner in a way that keeps the students interested. That’s what they’re assessing, not the content. In fact if they know nothing about it then that’s even better because if they manage to learn something as people without any clue about driving lorries and can then correctly answer the questions you’re posing to the students then that’s proof that your teaching methods are working.

Sigh… I don’t know why you do posts like that, obviously as an experienced trainer I know all that, I was being somewhat more conversational for effect.

Besides, the proof of my “teaching quality” is not whether I used a variety of questioning techniques, it is in the exam results and pass rates, the most recent of which (last week) were a very healthy 97.6%, :sunglasses: the only failures being from one driver who (a) didn’t want to be there and (b) had literacy and numeracy skills a Year 3 primary school child would feel bad about.

From what I can see below a review was started in November of last year which may of concluded by now or possibly on going but I’d say changes are going to happen. Hopefully along the lines of what I was told yesterday but we will have to wait and see.
driving.org/the-government- … river-cpc/

Also on a side note did anyone know that manual entries were now compulsory. Most drivers at our place haven’t got a clue how to do one just stick the card in press ok and crack on drive! Obviously it’s meant to be all in line with clock in or time sheet times to the entries on your card

Compulsory only in respect of the fact that DVSA are now starting to enforce a rule that came into effect August 2020. For a jobbing driver it’s no big deal, but there’s been a mountain of drama about a very simple thing