Changes to the 28 day rule

The RHA have helped change the 28 day rule on driver records, especially for those who only work part time, and DVSA will now accept attestation forms as well.

Finally saw sense then

Sense? they have had to hand back the 1/4 of a brain they borrow occasionally to the Treasury, there seems very little prospect of them getting it back again in the next decade since they will be at the back of the queue again.

This only really affects occasional drivers; RHA are desperate to make it look like some big victory but it’s very small potatoes in reality.

I’m just wondering how many people are aware that under the EU Mobility package (which covers legislation numbers: 2020/1057, 2020/1054, and 165/2015), as of 1st January 2025 you will need to be able to provide driving records not for the previous 28 days, but for the previous 56 !

This is a pain in the Harris for the likes of me, I’m retired now and only do 2 day a week for a couple of local companies, what’s the matter with DVSA just reading your digital if they stop you, put the card in their reader attached to their computer and read or download, but no, more ■■■■ for the driver to get mucked around.

Sapper

Zac_A:
This only really affects occasional drivers; RHA are desperate to make it look like some big victory but it’s very small potatoes in reality.

I’m just wondering how many people are aware that under the EU Mobility package (which covers legislation numbers: 2020/1057, 2020/1054, and 165/2015), as of 1st January 2025 you will need to be able to provide driving records not for the previous 28 days, but for the previous 56 !

How is that going to be anymore of a hardship other than keeping 2 months of printouts in your wallet before you hand them in rather than one.

sapper:
This is a pain in the Harris for the likes of me, I’m retired now and only do 2 day a week for a couple of local companies, what’s the matter with DVSA just reading your digital if they stop you, put the card in their reader attached to their computer and read or download, but no, more [zb] for the driver to get mucked around.

Sapper

That’s exactly the extent of what is required.

sapper:
This is a pain in the Harris for the likes of me, I’m retired now and only do 2 day a week for a couple of local companies, what’s the matter with DVSA just reading your digital if they stop you, put the card in their reader attached to their computer and read or download, but no, more [zb] for the driver to get mucked around.

Sapper

If you’re driving in-scope of EU regulations a couple of days a week and not doing any other work all you need to do is do a manual entry to record the rest days as rest and you’re good to go.

This won’t affect you in any way at all.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

The RHA do F**k all to help drivers, so they have not done anything here.

Read around the various forums on the internet to see how helpful the RHA are…not.

Ken.

Quinny:

Read around the various forums on the internet to see how helpful the RHA are…not.

Ken.

Why would they? They’re an operators’ association, it’s not in their remit.

Quinny:

Ken.

It’s up to Unions to help drivers,.not the RHA as Lucy rightly says, it aint in their remit…
And seeing as unions are ’ All things bad’’ according to a lot on here, it won’t happen, and especially not without some kind of ‘driver solidarity.’ (A phrase in it’s self which is somewhere between an oxymoron and a contradiction in terms, …not to mention bloody funny…)

stu675:
How is that going to be anymore of a hardship other than keeping 2 months of printouts in your wallet before you hand them in rather than one.

Seriously? Look at all the drama there’s been here on TN and the various FB driver groups over something as simple as doing a manual entry at the start of the week to satisfy the current requirements; you don’t think the 56 day rule is going to cause even more wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Not least of all because it will double the duration of time for which penalties and infringements will be handed out. True, that legislation isn’t in place yet, but I’ll guarantee the authorities aren’t going to let that opportunity pass them by.

As far as I can see it’s unlikely that the UK will implement the whole of the EU mobility package for UK domestic HGV drivers, the parts of the package that involves cabotage and tachographs in vehicle over 2.5t on international journeys will be implemented but I doubt the 56 week rule will be implemented for UK domestic drivers.

Obviously any HGV drivers going into EU countries will have to comply with the EU Mobility Package but I don’t see it as anything that drivers who only work in the UK need to bother much about.

Zac_A:

stu675:

Seriously? Look at all the drama there’s been here on TN and the various FB driver groups over something as simple as doing a manual entry at the start of the week to satisfy the current requirements; you don’t think the 56 day rule is going to cause even more wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Not least of all because it will double the duration of time for which penalties and infringements will be handed out. True, that legislation isn’t in place yet, but I’ll guarantee the authorities aren’t going to let that opportunity pass them by.

If you have to do or not do something every single day anyway, why does it matter how long you have to keep those records for?

If you start a new driving job, there is no way that you will have to create 56 days of previous records. If you occasionally drive in scope, you will just keep records every day and then you will have 56 days when required.

I use a day to a page diary, which i carry in the lorry.
I put in start and finish times, full or reduced daily and weekly rests, and starting and finishing mileage for the day.
I record the jobs done every day for my own records, and any day I’m not driving, i just write, Off, or Not Out on that page.
I never record anything I do on the days I don’t drive, except occasionally I will put down “Paperwork”, just to cover my back.
If you wanted to do it, there is loads of weekend work on diggers, tractors etc, and it’s easier work than digging the garden, cutting the grass and pleasuring ones numerous mistresses for a 45 hour period.
It’s none of their business what I do when I’m not being a lorry driver.

Old John:

To be fair it their business if you’re working for another company but not driving, the DVSA are charged with enforcing the drivers regulations so they need to be able to see that you’ve complied with the Daily and weekly rest periods ec’t, they can only do that if they know when you’ve worked regardless of whether the work is HGV/PCV related or not.

tachograph:

Old John:

To be fair it their business if you’re working for another company but not driving, the DVSA are charged with enforcing the drivers regulations so they need to be able to see that you’ve complied with the Daily and weekly rest periods ec’t, they can only do that if they know when you’ve worked regardless of whether the work is HGV/PCV related or not.

Yes, I get that, but what I was trying to point out, perhaps clumsily, is that one could spend a weekend doing very arduous activities which are not classed as work, resulting in the driver returning to work on a Monday utterly knackered. Also, DVSA is depending entirely on drivers being completely honest regarding the information which they furnish, as, unless DVSA follow us around all the time we are not driving, how will they have any idea what we have been doing.

Quinny:

Ken.

The RHA are supposed to be for high standards in the industry!!!

stu675:
If you start a new driving job, there is no way that you will have to create 56 days of previous records. If you occasionally drive in scope, you will just keep records every day and then you will have 56 days when required.

TTBOMK You’re not an employer or anyone’s TM.

If the 56 day is adopted by the UK (and I would always assume the authorities will take any stick available to beat drivers with) then it will become a legal requirement to have these 56 day records for new drivers, just like now any employer should take your current 28 day history.

tachograph:
I doubt the 56 week rule will be implemented

Optimistic, whereas I always tend to expect the worst from the authorities. Do you have solid reason to doubt they’ll do it?