Seats, longterm comfort, Mercedes?

How long do you all sit still, before going numb? Are Mercedes particularly known for uncomfortable seats? (Less than a year old with 70,000km)

Seat comfort technology has been going backwards in everything from cars to trucks and buses to trains for decades and the Germans have always been the worst for making hard, uncomfortable, unsupportive seats.Isringhausen were laughably bad v Bostrom in the case of trucks.While the most comfortable car seats could be found in Brit 1960s cars like buses and trains.

stu675:
How long do you all sit still, before going numb? Are Mercedes particularly known for uncomfortable seats? (Less than a year old with 70,000km)

You`re due a 45 then.

I think it is due to the body shape and not the seat. Personally I find Volvo seats to be a killer for my back and Merc seat seem ok.

Having to share trucks Im constantly surprised at the contortions I have to perform to get in to adjust the seat for my normal to large body beautiful :smiley: :smiley:

thehairyarsedtrucker:
I think it is due to the body shape and not the seat. Personally I find Volvo seats to be a killer for my back and Merc seat seem ok.

Having to share trucks Im constantly surprised at the contortions I have to perform to get in to adjust the seat for my normal to large body beautiful :smiley: :smiley:

I’m short so sometimes find that what’s supposed to be lumbar support is actually closer to my shoulders.
Then there can be the stupid anti submarining seat base angle which puts your hips near the floor below your knees and insufficient front or rear seat base adjustment to cancel it out.
In general I found even the old soft well padded 1960’s Leyland WF seats more comfortable than the awful air suspension 1990s Merc seat which was the last truck I drove.
Also the 1970s Bostrom hydraulic mechanical suspension type was an excellent
seat for comfort.

Franglais:

stu675:

You`re due a 45 then.

What? Every hour■■?
Would be good if 3 x 15mins equalled 45 mins.

stu675:

Franglais:

stu675:

You`re due a 45 then.

What? Every hour■■?
Would be good if 3 x 15mins equalled 45 mins.

Yeah I mean for those of us who remember rules like that it was great for multidrop.

Now I’m older and wiser and possibly lazier, or more energy efficient, I think even a 15 and 30 should be scrapped and just stick to unbroken 45’s.

Last Gen Mercedes before the current mirrorless ones came out I can’t drive them because the cabs bounce all over the place and you’re constantly rocking forward and backwards as you drive down the road. I don’t know WTF they’ve done because the 2015 and earlier ones I never had any issues in. Hit a pothole or a divot in the road in the 2016-2020 ones and its throwing you and everything on the dash round the cab. Hit the same pothole in anything else and you’ll hear a bit of a noise and that’s it.

Pretty much everything else I’m good for a full 4.5hrs.

I do find the Actros seats ok, suits my back and not too bad on me arse. If it wasn’t for the bouncy ride I would give them them the thumbs up.

Found the older Scanias (supermarket spec) to be the worse, shame because I always loved Scanias. Is it me but I find the seats on the new Scanias don’t go up high enough. I am 6’2 and I have to sit on a cushion :blush: . Again it’s the small cabbed one. The seat itself is good but my legs are killing when I get out.

Haven’t driven a Volvo for a few years but found them to be spot on.

Conor:
Last Gen Mercedes before the current mirrorless ones came out I can’t drive them because the cabs bounce all over the place and you’re constantly rocking forward and backwards as you drive down the road. I don’t know WTF they’ve done because the 2015 and earlier ones I never had any issues in. Hit a pothole or a divot in the road in the 2016-2020 ones and its throwing you and everything on the dash round the cab. Hit the same pothole in anything else and you’ll hear a bit of a noise and that’s it.

Totally agree with this description. In my opinion the single worst thing about driving for Tesco is the Merc fleet. There’s a patch of road on the A5 and when I get to the end of it my sunglasses are upside down and my pen is on the other side of the cab, absolute ■■■■■■

Conor:

Got a 2018 and mine’s fine. And given I do a lot of farms, I’m no stranger to potholes!