Pay rises

Well, are they real ones?
bbc.com/news/business-62550069
Inflation is outrunning pay increases so most of us, not all of course, have seen the biggest effective pay cuts for decades.
We are also set to be the worst performing of the G7 for years into the future. (Yes compare us to small economies and we look good, but compared to our peers, we are doing badly)

Franglais:
Well, are they real ones?
bbc.com/news/business-62550069
Inflation is outrunning pay increases so most of us, not all of course, have seen the biggest effective pay cuts for decades.
We are also set to be the worst performing of the G7 for years into the future. (Yes compare us to small economies and we look good, but compared to our peers, we are doing badly)

One good thing …we ain’t governed by the EU anymore

Inflation caused by high energy prices caused by the high demand for oil and gas because no one wants to use expensive dangerous nuclear including France and our quisling government is enthusiastically exporting our resources while charging us as much or more for them in that tegard.Wile adding ‘carbon’ tax insult to injury because the EU ( that we supposedly left ) says we mustn’t use them.
That inflation.

The jobless figures are meaningless when you have over a million people on zero hour contracts.
Data manipulation at it’s worst!

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics…

Carryfast:
Inflation caused by high energy prices caused by the high demand for oil and gas because no one wants to use expensive dangerous nuclear including France and our quisling government is enthusiastically exporting our resources while charging us as much or more for them in that tegard.Wile adding ‘carbon’ tax insult to injury because the EU ( that we supposedly left ) says we mustn’t use them.
That inflation.

The Government doesn`t charge us for energy!
All energy sources are owned by private companies. None are nationally owed in the UK.
The UK Gov is free to cap those prices, it chooses not to.

youtube.com/watch?v=747Yh7WxtbM&t=108s

Is this another of your loaded ‘‘Perils of Brexit’’ thread you’re starting here Frangers? :unamused:

Franglais:

Carryfast:
That inflation.

The Government doesn`t charge us for energy! All energy sources are owned by private companies. None are nationally owed in the UK.

Foreign private companies…

robroy:
Is this another of your loaded ‘‘Perils of Brexit’’ thread you’re starting here Frangers? :unamused:

The ONS is stating that the real rate of pay is the worst for decades.
The OECD is saying the long term outlook for the UK is really bad.

Do you want to tell us that is all due to Brexit?

Franglais:

robroy:

It’s gotta be,.every ■■■■ thing else negative in this country is according to you and your mates…whether it actually is or not…re 76 pages of such.

Btw I see it’s been relegated to Bullys, it would appear even the Mods are getting worn down with it. :laughing:

robroy:

Franglais:

robroy:

It’s gotta be,.every [zb] thing else negative in this country is according to you and your mates…whether it actually is or not…re 78 pages of such.

Nonsense.

Brexit is a symptom of lies, bad governance, and bad politicians.
The poor state of the UK economy is also the result of years of bad governance.

Franglais:

robroy:

Franglais:

robroy:

It’s gotta be,.every [zb] thing else negative in this country is according to you and your mates…whether it actually is or not…re 78 pages of such.

Nonsense.

The poor state of the UK economy is also the result of years of bad governance.

:laughing: :laughing:
Classic Franglais rhetoric…, you should start a TN ‘Greatest Hits’ album.
It’ll be as popular as Gary Glitter’s… :smiley:

robroy:
Classic Franglais rhetoric…, you should start a ‘Greatest Hits’ album.
It’ll be as popular as Gary Glitter’s…

Classic RobRoy:
Nothing constructive to say on topic.
Just spout some ole tosh with a casual reference to a ■■■ offender.

Bet your act “goes down” a storm at the Oxford Union.

Franglais:

robroy:
Classic Franglais rhetoric…, you should start a ‘Greatest Hits’ album.
It’ll be as popular as Gary Glitter’s…

Classic RobRoy:
Nothing constructive to say on topic.
Just spout some ole tosh with a casual reference to a ■■■ offender.

Bet your act “goes down” a storm at the Oxford Union.

:laughing:
Well I reckon it would go down a hell of a lot better there than the continuous stream of pro EU steaming verbal dog ■■■■ that emanates from yourself on here.
How constructive was that?

To get back on topic just for Franger’s sake and sanity :smiley: …I personally am neither feeling the pinch or am worse off as far as I can see.
Myself and my wife are in employment, she has had 2 pay raises, and I have had about 3 in last 2 years or so…whether or not that has anything to do with Brexit is debatable.
We both live within our means and have no outlying HP or mortgage,.anything I buy I pay for,.and we still manage to maintain a decent social life out for meals together, and for drinks with each other’s friends…not ‘each other’s friends’…we ain’t swingers you know what I mean. :laughing:
A lot of difficulties are experienced when people find they are suddenlly iiving beyond their means when they find they are unable to tighten their belts when things don’t go according to plan financially
I can understand and sympathise with those in a that predicament.,.I fell into the same trap myself once and ended up losing our home.

Franglais:

In your opinion, which means its exactly that … “an opinion” and not a fact, in the same way I have “my opinion”

robroy:
To get back on topic just for Franger’s sake and sanity :smiley: …I personally am neither feeling the pinch or am worse off as far as I can see.
Myself and my wife are in employment, she has had 2 pay raises, and I have had about 3 in last 2 years or so…whether or not that has anything to do with Brexit is debatable.
We both live within our means and have no outlying HP or mortgage,.anything I buy I pay for.
I can understand and sympathise with those in a worse predicament.

Leaving the now tedious tennis match between you and Franglais out of it…

It is easy for us (us, as in generally drivers, middle aged, earning around or just above average income, reasonably sorted financially) , to say “we are better of, I had three pay rises in a year”, regardless wether you attribute that to Brexit or not. Fact is, inflation has nullified most of our pay rises in effect. Those on minimum wage (part time, zero hour ) income who live week to week, are already feeling the impact, whilst “you and I” are still somewhat shielded , because we can still afford the cost of utilities and food. Many of “us” are on locked in tariffs, and pay by direct debit, so haven’t really had an “in your face” bill twice as high as usual (wait until your DD bill gets adjusted for the amount your DD left you short…) If you have less than £100, after your rent,per week to spend on your food, petrol, council tax, and pre-pay utilities etc, the recent increases in food and gas/electric are huge, and the thought of them going up even (considerably) more, must be terrifying.

Brexit, for better or worse, is done. Badly, but done none the less. I hope Franglais (and you… :sunglasses: ) can leave that now. We need to concentrate centrale, and deal with the incompetent, self serving, lying scumbags in Westminster, who are funking this country up, whilst feathering their own nests.

Stop thinking “I’m alright Jack”, because in a year, you will not be.

I don’t have an answer, i wish I did, apart from the people marching on Westminster and kicking arse, but at least don’t just sit there and think “Ill be alright”. You won’t be.

I think the real recession will fire up this winter when the energy price rises serve as the straws that break multiple people’s backs, people could cut down unecessary travelling to mitigate their personal petrol/Diesel bills (or blow £40k on a battery car to save £50 of fuel a week) but its going to be very difficult to cut heavily back on consumption of gas and electricity.

This has been in the offing for years for anyone awake, years on end of virtually zero interest rates designed to keep the housing market rising, which is just about the only viable part of the economy left standing, we don’t make a sell anything much so no money is coming in from outside save borrowed/printed, now the national depbt in in the stratosphere, thanks in no small measure to the idiotic reaction to the recent health farce and the probable new prime monster bashing as many zeros as he could onto his borrowed monopoly money calculator, well the time has come for reckoning up.
I fail to see what the govt can do about energy bills, Fishi and co ■■■■■■ money up the wall like it was going out of fashion, did anyone really think it wouldn’t have to be accounted for.

There won’t be large pay rises once the recession really gets going, people will be lucky to keep their jobs at all in the private sector as companies cut back in order to ride the storm out.
Some realigment of what being working class in reality is coming for many, far too many people are living champagne lifestyles on easy credit and haven’t got even a month’s leeway in their bank accounts at present levels of costs and interest rates, what the hell are they going to do if mortgage rates go north of 10% again and stay there.

Nine hours fifteen minutes driving I did yesterday, all to cover the princely distance of 590km! The roads were chock a block with bewildered holidaymakers and day trippers. The cost of fuel certainly isn’t stopping these lot is it?

I reckon that any government minister who’s wafting along in his chauffeur driven luxury could justifiably think “actually we could charge the plebs £10 per litre and the fools would moan but still buy it”.

Franglais:

Carryfast:
That inflation.

The Government doesn`t charge us for energy!
All energy sources are owned by private companies. None are nationally owed in the UK.

Capping the price would obviously contradict a stated government aim of applying punitive pricing to fossil fuel use.Including ‘carbon’ tax.All + VAT.
In large part because of EU directives regarding ‘climate’ change.
In addition to the LibLab useful idiots supporting the Euro climate agenda then laughably moaning about the resulting fuel costs.
The fact is the EU is telling us to put our fuel resources beyond economic use.
So that Germany and France can take/plunder them instead.While the VAT bill goes to pay our ongoing EU contribution.
Because Euroland knows that nuclear power is an unaffordable dangerous liability.
Our quisling government is as usual happy to oblige its German and French masters at our expense.
The truth is either we ditch the climate bs and keep our fuel resources for ourselves or we go broke.
Let Germany and France go all nuclear electric and pay for it in terms of cash and the inevitable nuke disaster.Not expect to plunder our resources at our expense while telling us that we’re not allowed to use them.

Juddian I disagree about the government not bring able to do much about energy bills. They can do a lot but seemingly don’t want to do much.

Enough governments have taken steps to show that offering some real tangible support actually decreases inflation. Labour have at least come up with something meanwhile we have Truss threatening no more “handouts” like we’re all Oliver Twist asking for more acting like Thatcher #2.

This is going to sink people. Even people who are comfortable now and will probably get through it will feel it. A few hundred quid extra a month on gas and electric per household is a few hundred quid per household less being spent on other areas of the economy with the effect that brings.

So yeah to avoid the worst they need to go big on this. It will cost, but what’s the cost of the alternative?