MSA s in holiday season

Went to 2 this week both at different ends of country, Cullompton and Tebay.
Cullompton truck park rammed with cars and caravans,.although there is a designated caravan park at the entrance which was virtually empty.
It ain’t the best place to get out if in those circumstances either,.I was faced with a choice of a tight blindside reverse, or try and reverse along the road in back to the pumps which wasn’t really a goer :unamused: .but managed to get turned round (with great difficulty) with the ■■■■ cheek of the offending car drivers giving me dirty looks as I ( deliberately :imp:) got as close to and just missed the sides of their cars. :grimacing:

Tebay, the whole truck area chock a block this morning with cars caravans and camper vans.

Before dozy chokes on his coffee to get to the keyboard to remind me of my opinion of MSAs, and why I’m complaining…they are legally obliged to provide places for trucks to park to take breaks, and there wasn’t any. :bulb:
Try parking your truck in the coach parks and see how they react,.I just pulled in to use the bog, if I had been in an arsey mood and needing a break, I’d have removed the cones in the coach parking area, and parked there on a 45…anyhoo,.Saturday and that,.I needed to get home.

Stopped at Peterborough sevices this dinner time two tractor units parked in caravan bays both Lorry parks virtually empty four British registered hadn’t bothered to reverse in a bay,unfortunately sometimes we are our own worst enemy!

Singo55:
Stopped at Peterborough sevices this dinner time two tractor units parked in caravan bays both Lorry parks virtually empty four British registered hadn’t bothered to reverse in a bay,unfortunately sometimes we are our own worst enemy!

Maybe the units had overnight parked there when the truck park was full previous night, and were still there this morning?

Pulled into Strensham Services the other day it was full of caravans. I politely asked one to move and park in one bay.She was taking 2 bays

robroy:

Singo55:

Maybe the units had overnight parked there when the truck park was full previous night, and were still there this morning?

ive been in the evening day early morning there and most just pull up and do not even attempt to reverse into any bays even when most are half empty.the old truck park rarely fills up at all lots of the running frigdes use it mainly lots of room in there all times of the day and evening.lot of flip flops pull up and just take a ■■■■ in the grass.caught few and make it know there a loo 2 min walk away yet most i need now well should of stopped way before here then drive not hang it out till u nearly wet urself

They could have been Rob and your right about caravans this time of year.But always annoyed me when lorries can’t be bothered to reverse in a bay usually making it harder for those that do if you can’t reverse em don’t get in em as my old dad used to say.

Back in the days…

Of 3 pedals, a driver at the firm I was with would always knock on the door on any caravan he found in the lorry bays and ask for a sausage sandwich and cup of tea.

Singo55:
They could have been Rob and your right about caravans this time of year.But always annoyed me when lorries can’t be bothered to reverse in a bay usually making it harder for those that do if you can’t reverse em don’t get in em as my old dad used to say.

The ammount of Class 1 drivers who can’t reverse is astonishing, I’m not a class1 driver so no experience with artics, but I’m sat in the services watching artics coming and going and there is a big difference some will reverse into a bay no problem then there are others that need a dozen shunts to get in the same bay!

I am affraid I’m one of those with a caravan and some services don’t have enough spaces for caravans especially on a holiday route, I’ll normally stay clear of hgv bays unless there isn’t enough room in the caravan area!!

Stephenjp:

Singo55:

The ammount of Class 1 drivers who can’t reverse is astonishing, I’m not a class1 driver so no experience with artics, but I’m sat in the services watching artics coming and going and there is a big difference some will reverse into a bay no problem then there are others that need a dozen shunts to get in the same bay!

Everybody has to learn mate,.and then proficiency comes with experience…well in most cases anyway. :smiley:
In the ‘old days’ you would have had at least a couple of drivers watching a guy in who was having difficulty reversing in.
Tbh I still do (help not need help :smiley: ) I’ve had all sorts of reactions from a 'wtf you doing type look, to a reaction as if you’re questioning his masculinity :unamused: but most of the time gratitude if they are struggling…we’ve all been there,.and ESPECIALLY me in earlier days. :blush: :smiley:

robroy:

Stephenjp:

Singo55:

Everybody has to learn mate,.and then proficiency comes with experience…well in most cases anyway. :smiley:

Yes exactly…

That’s why I wait patiently if someone is struggling and why I hate people that are impatient behind learner drivers!!

Stephenjp:

robroy:

Stephenjp:

Singo55:

Yes exactly…

That’s why I wait patiently if someone is struggling and why I hate people that are impatient behind learner drivers!!

Yep…you beat me to my edit. :smiley:

pretty much all of my local services the lorry parks get jammed up so the lorries just go in the car park. when it first started happening people used to complain and security/managment would ask them to move but soon realised no one would

robroy:
Cullompton truck park rammed with cars and caravans,.although there is a designated caravan park at the entrance which was virtually empty.
It ain’t the best place to get out if in those circumstances either,.I was faced with a choice of a tight blindside reverse, or try and reverse along the road in back to the pumps which wasn’t really a goer :unamused: .but managed to get turned round (with great difficulty) with the [zb] cheek of the offending car drivers giving me dirty looks as I ( deliberately :imp:) got as close to and just missed the sides of their cars. :grimacing:

Tebay, the whole truck area chock a block this morning with cars caravans and camper vans.

Before dozy chokes on his coffee to get to the keyboard to remind me of my opinion of MSAs, and why I’m complaining…they are legally obliged to provide places for trucks to park to take breaks, and there wasn’t any. :bulb:
Try parking your truck in the coach parks and see how they react,.I just pulled in to use the bog, if I had been in an arsey mood and needing a break, I’d have removed the cones in the coach parking area, and parked there on a 45…anyhoo,.Saturday and that,.I needed to get home.

I feel sorry for you rob , I finished Wednesday , I hate to think what state I’d be in if I was at tebay on a Saturday night at 5 pm trying to get back to Newcastle
I can only offer the advice you & your mates would offer me at every opportunity, grow some !!

[

Stephenjp:

That’s why you know F— all about it. Having driven for 17 years as a young man & an owner driver then 20 plus teaching drivers to reverse. Every combination is different ; 4x2 unit tri- axle trailer easy empty different story if 12 pallets only from head board. 6x2 twin steer longer tractor unit more weight up against headboard different again. 6x2 rear lift axle as easy as a 4x2 unit. The main factor is the load and weight, modern trailers boxes, curtainsiders, single deck, double deckers , LST’s all reverse different depending on load or part load. If a driver drives the same truck combination every day then he should get it in the bay 1st time.Personally I find the double deck LST’s the easiest to reverse over standard tri axle.

miketdt:
[

Stephenjp:

That’s why you know F— all about it. Having driven for 17 years as a young man & an owner driver then 20 plus teaching drivers to reverse. Every combination is different ; 4x2 unit tri- axle trailer easy empty different story if 12 pallets only from head board. 6x2 twin steer longer tractor unit more weight up against headboard different again. 6x2 rear lift axle as easy as a 4x2 unit. The main factor is the load and weight, modern trailers boxes, curtainsiders, single deck, double deckers , LST’s all reverse different depending on load or part load. If a driver drives the same truck combination every day then he should get it in the bay 1st time.Personally I find the double deck LST’s the easiest to reverse over standard tri axle.

If you actually read my post…

you’d see I have no experience of artics, so yes I know F — all as you put it, but, I do have a brain and eyes and actually use them, you can tell the ones that are struggling.

My point being I won’t push past them while they maneuvering or start sounding my horn and like I said I will wait patiently until they have finished, whereas I’ve seen artic drivers get annoyed as they’re in too much of a hurry to get their break, because they’ve stopped so close to running out of time!!!

yourhavingalarf:
Back in the days…

Of 3 pedals, a driver at the firm I was with would always knock on the door on any caravan he found in the lorry bays and ask for a sausage sandwich and cup of tea.

:smiley:

yourhavingalarf:
Back in the days…

That story is as old as the hills :unamused:

miketdt:
[

Stephenjp:

Perhaps he was observing some of your former pupils :bulb:

Suedehead:

miketdt:
[

Stephenjp:

Perhaps he was observing some of your former pupils :bulb:

He even makes it sound hard :smiley:

dozy:

robroy:
It ain’t the best place to get out if in those circumstances either,.I was faced with a choice of a tight blindside reverse, or try and reverse along the road in back to the pumps which wasn’t really a goer :unamused: .but managed to get turned round (with great difficulty) with the [zb] cheek of the offending car drivers giving me dirty looks as I ( deliberately :imp:) got as close to and just missed the sides of their cars. :grimacing:

Tebay, the whole truck area chock a block THIS MORNINGwith cars caravans and camper vans.

I feel sorry for you rob , I finished Wednesday , I hate to think what state I’d be in if I was at tebay on a Saturday night at 5 pm trying to get back to Newcastle
I can only offer the advice you & your mates would offer me at every opportunity, grow some !!

:laughing: Don’t feel sorry for me doze I’m fine mate,.life is great at this present time.

Btw Who mentioned 5 pm ? :neutral_face: …nah.
Have another read, I used 2 words in that post mate ‘‘This’’ and ‘‘Morning’’

It was about 10 am, and I live in ■■■■■■■ not Newcastle,.so I was sat in the garden around 12 in the sun, showered and changed, eating steak off a barbie, with salad, and having a cold bottle of Bud all provided by my lovely Mrs, in a pair of shorts and bikini top ,(the wife not me :laughing: ) ready for me coming home around lunchtime,.what’s not to like ? :laughing: …(with my regular 3 more days off to re…start my 4 day shift pattern on Wed, but hey!.. you already know that you old wind up merchant you. :wink: )
But thanks for the thoughts anyway.