Tail lift wont go up or down - whirring

Hi .
Possibly a simple question.I am trying to operate the tail lift on rigid lorry.
When I press the up button there is a whirring sound but no movement.
When I press the down button there is a non whirring sound but tail lift wont go down.
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas before I damage something more?
I’ve tge cover off but there doesn’t seem to be anything obvious.
All help appreciated in advance. Thanks

You don’t say what type of tail lift it is.

One strong possibility is that if the lorry is parked on a camber, the oil pick-up can be left high and dry as all the oil runs to the other end of the reservoir. Solution is to move the lorry to level ground, but even then you’ll often need to re-prime the pump. You do this by simply pressing the control(s) to raise the lift and hold it there until eventually the platform starts to move. It may take 30 seconds or more to respond.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
You don’t say what type of tail lift it is.

One strong possibility is that if the lorry is parked on a camber, the oil pick-up can be left high and dry as all the oil runs to the other end of the reservoir. Solution is to move the lorry to level ground, but even then you’ll often need to re-prime the pump. You do this by simply pressing the control(s) to raise the lift and hold it there until eventually the platform starts to move. It may take 30 seconds or more to respond.

From the description by the OP it would be a hydraulic tail lift? So, Roymondo is (in my opinion) correct. Unless the unit has run out of hydraulic oil due to a leak in the system. (In which case, call your company. Somewhere at the rear of the vehicle should be a plastic reservoir/tank, about the size of a car battery. If it has no fluid in it, there is a leak which needs to be repaired). The “whirring” is the pump operating so not likely to be a fault with the electrons.

Great. Thanks for your replies. It is a hydrolic life.The truck is level but it might be low on fluid. I can’t see a reservoir. There is what could be a small tank behind the motor?
I will get some hydraulic fluid and then try priming.
Thanks . Will post how I get on

daesal:
Great. Thanks for your replies. It is a hydrolic life.The truck is level but it might be low on fluid. I can’t see a reservoir. There is what could be a small tank behind the motor?
I will get some hydraulic fluid and then try priming.
Thanks . Will post how I get on

STOP! Call a fitter/company or whoever. (Just my advice). Hydraulic systems only go low on hydraulic oil if there is a leak.

I’m not sure it is low . The tank seems to be behind the motor and is solid sided (can’t see in) . I was thinking prob best to have a bit of fluid to hand to put in before trying to prime. Just in case it’s running low…or possible not topped up enough last time. Lift is new to me but I have worked it before.

They usually have oil in the reservoir, not hydraulic (brake) fluid.

Unless it’s your lorry (ie you actually own it) best bet would be to call it in and get the company to deal with it.

daesal:
Hi .
When I press the down button there is a non whirring sound but tail lift wont go down.

Have you released the safety catch :bulb:

The hydraulic oil may be a red herring. When I had a problem with the supply being low, the tail-lift only got so far up, but there wasn’t a problem going down.

They do tend to whirr when at the extreme raised position. You would normally stop pressing at that stage to avoid excessive wear.

You don’t say if the tail-lift is presently raised or lowered or somewhere between the two.

daesal:
Hi .

It is bloody simple , do what we did before tail lifts , handball the bloody stuff off

dozy:
It is bloody simple , do what we did before tail lifts , handball the bloody stuff off

It might be a column lift on a solid body Doze. That could make handball trickier…!

pm

The hydraulic oil may be a red herring. When I had a problem with the supply being low, the tail-lift only got so far up, but there wasn’t a problem going down.

They do tend to whirr when at the extreme raised position. You would normally stop pressing at that stage to avoid excessive wear.

You don’t say if the tail-lift is presently raised or lowered or somewhere between the two.

Good question. Sorry I should have said. It’s raised.

Noremac:

Good Point … its Raised. Sorry I should of said tgat

njl:

dozy:

It’s raised. Makes gettingbto the back roller door very very difficult. I’ve no problem handballing bloody stuff…if I can get to the bloody stuff! :slight_smile:

daesal:

Noremac:

Good Point … its Raised. Sorry I should of said tgat

I’m confused, because the thread is a couple of days old now, so I would have thought the problem would have been sorted by now. What has been happening? Were you shown how to use the tail-lift in the first place? If you are working for a company, what do they have to say?

Hi. Busy here so tail lift had to be done around another few jobs.
Hydraulic fluid was low and needed topping up.
There was a small seal gone at the reservoir.
Seal replaced.
Fluid topped up
Bled system by raising fully.
All working now.
Thanks for all your help.
I hope this thread becomes useful for anyone else.