Proper Securing for Coffee Loads

Hi all I hope you are keeping well,

I’ve recently started a new job where I am doing coffee deliveries to RDCs the loads vary as some loads are the glass coffee jars and some are just aluminium tins I do most of the time have 26 Pallets so I just secure the back as it’s a XL rated curtainsider.

My question to you is if you have a load of let’s say 10 pallets how would you go about securing it making sure if you was to be pulled by VOSA they would be happy as some of the pallets I carry weigh up to 800kg and i understand that internals are only rated up to 400KG I’ve looked at different ways of securing the load but I cannot throw a ratchet over the top as it will crush the aluminium tins or glass the only way I’ve tried is securing the pallets .

Just hoping someone can help me as I’m still quite new to driving I’ve looked online but cannot find any good information.

Thank you

You used to be able to buy a cargo net that would cover and hold a load within a Tautliner prior to using the trailers straps.
Failing that buy some ex Military Camouflage Nets and secure them with bungie cords, then use the straps of the trailer. providing the nets are secure and hold the cargo you should have no problem.
Also if your pallets are stacked two high I would net both levels separately. :smiley: :wink:

Pallet on top of each pallet to dread the load if a ratchet over the top? Or corner braces but usually the larger full pallet sizee types? That’s what I used to do with pallets of those little jars of marmite. Incidentally there was no love, just hate :laughing:

This is one of those things where the some countries are way ahead of us. Here it’s send stuff out in whatever state and the driver has to do their best and if they don’t they get the blame. Compare it somewhere like Gernany where the sender of goods is equally responsible for load security and the approach changes all of a sudden and goods are generally despatched in a way allowing them to be properly secured.

toonsy:
This is one of those things where the some countries are way ahead of us. Here it’s send stuff out in whatever state and the driver has to do their best and if they don’t they get the blame. Compare it somewhere like Gernany where the sender of goods is equally responsible for load security and the approach changes all of a sudden and goods are generally despatched in a way allowing them to be properly secured.

Nicely put. This sounds like the type of load where the customer could or should have input as to how it is secured, that way, if it does get damaged, they share the cost/ hassle.

dunnage-bag-500x500.jpgCould the shipper put an airbag in between the last two pallets ? We use hard sided van trailers though not curtain side ones so don’t know if that would work very well.

bluesfan1996:

I’ve recently started a new job where I am doing coffee deliveries to RDCs the loads vary as some loads are the glass coffee jars and some are just aluminium tins I do most of the time have 26 Pallets so I just secure the back as it’s a XL rated curtainsider.

My question to you is if you have a load of let’s say 10 pallets how would you go about securing it making sure if you was to be pulled by VOSA they would be happy as some of the pallets I carry weigh up to 800kg and i understand that internals are only rated up to 400KG I’ve looked at different ways of securing the load but I cannot throw a ratchet over the top as it will crush the aluminium tins or glass the only way I’ve tried is securing the pallets .

Just hoping someone can help me as I’m still quite new to driving I’ve looked online but cannot find any good information.

Thank you

I keep saying but you kids don’t seem to listen ( there’s a suprise ) , ask one of the older lads in your yard , I’m sure you must have 1 , some , they will put you right

dozy:

bluesfan1996:

Thank you

I keep saying but you kids don’t seem to listen ( there’s a suprise ) , ask one of the older lads in your yard , I’m sure you must have 1 , some , they will put you right

The older driver will say…" Just close the curtains lad. In my day we never bothered with this strapping mlarkey!"

msgyorkie:

dozy:

bluesfan1996:

Thank you

The older driver will say…" Just close the curtains lad. In my day we never bothered with this strapping mlarkey!"

What, like dozy? Who famously told us all that he " just crosses the rear straps" to secure 26 pallets from Coca-Cola when he wore the 3lf costume… :grimacing:

Best way…

To secure it would be load it into a box trailer.

Obviously common sense is lacking in the transport department and the idea that everything has to be done in a curtain is the only plan they have.

the nodding donkey:

msgyorkie:

dozy:

bluesfan1996:

Thank you

What, like dozy? Who famously told us all that he " just crosses the rear straps" to secure 26 pallets from Coca-Cola when he wore the 3lf costume… :grimacing:

That’s all you did need to do as 26 palls of Coca Cola are classed as a positive fit load , and as I got stopped by the ministry more than once with britvic / ag Barr / Coca Cola on & never had anything said about the load I guess they agree
Stupid bloody kid

msgyorkie:

dozy:

bluesfan1996:

Thank you

Exactly , he’s spent all night worry about the job , asking on her , no doubt doing that Google thing these kids do these day , I’d of just had a quick look through back door & gone
Same as my daughters boyfriend , panicking about drilling a ■■■■■■■ hole in a wall , what about electric wires , gas , water , just drill the bloody hole , plenty of fish in sea for my girl if he got electrocuted ha ha

yourhavingalarf:
Best way…

Obviously common sense is lacking in the transport department and the idea that everything has to be done in a curtain is the only plan they have.

Jesus bloody Christ , you’ll want it putting directly in the bloody cups/ mugs next , it’s a bloody positive fit load , just bung a couple of internals on the back & get on with the bloody job , there’s no thinking about it required , I bet you bloody kids do a bloody risk assessment before you have ■■■

dozy:

yourhavingalarf:
Best way…

Jesus bloody Christ , you’ll want it putting directly in the bloody cups/ mugs next , it’s a bloody positive fit load , just bung a couple of internals on the back & get on with the bloody job , there’s no thinking about it required , I bet you bloody kids do a bloody risk assessment before you have ■■■

Yeah but the OPs question was specifically about what to do when its NOT a positive fit load…

toonsy:

dozy:

yourhavingalarf:
Best way…

Yeah but the OPs question was specifically about what to do when its NOT a positive fit load…

Like some people’s brain in their head… :grimacing:

So a positive fit load in an XL rated trailer doesn’t need and securing, positive fit is no gaps front or rear and no more than 80mm to the sides.

A non positive fit or non XL rated trailer needs 100% of the weight of the load securing from moving forward and 50% to the rear and sides. Internals can only be used for pallets or single items upto 400kg.

So a partial load that is positive fit other than at the back needs 50% of the total load weight securing from moving backwards.

I’d stand 2 pallets up against the back pallets then put at least 2 straps or more if required by the weight at different heights through the stood up pallets with a shallow angle on both sides going forward, put the ratchets on the passenger side then it’s safer if you need to tighten them later. You double the load rating of the strap to work out how many you need as they are basically working like a ■■■■■■ block. But any angle other than horizontal with reduce the force they will take, so compensate for that too

toonsy:

dozy:

yourhavingalarf:
Best way…

10 palls is still a positive fit load , 6 is , 14 is , unless they put 4 on the headboard & 6 on the ■■■ end , and if that’s the case then dont take it
If it’s 10 palls stacked from the headboard just stick 2 internals on the back , if you’ve not got any internals , a ratchet
I mean when you do a multi drop you might tip 6 palls , so be left with 20 , those 20 are just as much a positive fit as when there was 26 palls on the lorry .
I’m not be funny toonsy but we’re on about palls of coffee , not a 150 ton excavator ,
And as I said I got stopped by vosa with britvic , ag Barr , Coca Cola etc & they were fine with it.

dozy:

toonsy:

dozy:

yourhavingalarf:
Best way…

10 palls is still a positive fit load , 6 is , 14 is , unless they put 4 on the headboard & 6 on the ■■■ end , and if that’s the case then dont take it
If it’s 10 palls stacked from the headboard just stick 2 internals on the back , if you’ve not got any internals , a ratchet
I mean when you do a multi drop you might tip 6 palls , so be left with 20 , those 20 are just as much a positive fit as when there was 26 palls on the lorry .
I’m not be funny toonsy but we’re on about palls of coffee , not a 150 ton excavator ,
And as I said I got stopped by vosa with britvic , ag Barr , Coca Cola etc & they were fine with it.

How you figure that? Can’t have no gaps at the back for positive fit, so only front and sides would be positive fit, Internals only suitable for pallets upto 400kg, if all pallets weren’t more than 400kg then you could use an internal on every pallet to stop rearward movement. Or enough straps at the back to stop 50% of the total weight from moving backwards

dozy:

toonsy:

dozy:

yourhavingalarf:
Best way…

I get what you’re saying and I understand it completely. To my mind if you’ve got 26 plus as a positive fit, and you cross the internals at the back to stop rear movement, then take away six plts at the first drop, crossing internals behind the remaining 20 is giving more security per pallet as it it would with a full 26 on.

BUT… according to the “rules” once you move the load away from the back door (ie lose 6 of the 26) it ceases to be a positive fit because there’s now a big gap on the load deck.