Your thoughts please

A pet hate of mine on the road is bad road markings. A perfect example of this is on the A43 approaching the A14 from Corby.

Here are the markings on the approach. Outside lane to go west bound and the inside and middle lane to go east.

But once on the roundabout the markings are different. From here, you can now go east or west bound from the middle lane so if you approach the island to go west bound in the outside like the road markings suggest you end up in the outside lane of the island which once you get here, now takes you to the A43 only forcing you to change lanes.

I am of the belief that a truck should keep as far left as is practicable when going round islands. I always approach this island in the middle lane which on the approach is the wrong lane but once on the island I can now go either way and can comfortably move over to the left hand lane of the island without any issue.

Or so I thought. Yesterday I did the same as I always do but there was a truck to my right in the outside lane heading for the west bound A14. He was a bit quicker than me pulling away but we were still overlapping when we got to the first set of traffic lights here. Once here he just drifted over straight from the outside lane of the island to the inside lane. 100% we are colliding if I don’t stand on the brakes.

And it got me thinking, who would be to blame there. He could argue I approached the island in the wrong lane for the exit I wanted. My argument is the very last road marking I went over told me I could go east or west from the lane I’m in.

What do you think ?

You would be at fault as the original lane markings and signage both state that the middle lane is for A14 east.
I know this roundabout well and it’s crap. If you follow the signage correctly then you find yourself too far over and badly out of lane.
It really should be changed so middle lane is either east or west bound.

msgyorkie:
You would be at fault as the original lane markings and signage both state that the middle lane is for A14 east.
I know this roundabout well and it’s crap. If you follow the signage correctly then you find yourself too far over and badly out of lane.

The middle lane is for east and west.Have a look.
The problem is you have to approach the roundabout in the right hand lane.Its a ■■■■ set up.
Its the same when you approach the m1 from a43 south.You have to stay on the right lane but then a truck who has ignored this then cuts you up as you go round the narrow roundabout lanes

Love it , driver knowingly uses the wrong lane then blames the driver using the correct lane for a nigh on pile up
Yes I do know what your on about , start in the correct lane & it’s hard work to get into the correct lane if you want to get on W/ bound a14 , but surely if you know this , then you’d have a understanding of the issue the driver starting in the correct lane is going to have , so would ease off & help him across .

Sploom:

msgyorkie:

The middle lane is for east and west.Have a look.
The problem is you have to approach the roundabout in the right hand lane.Its a [zb] set up.
Its the same when you approach the m1 from a43 south.You have to stay on the right lane but then a truck who has ignored this then cuts you up as you go round the narrow roundabout lanes

The middle lane on the roundabout is marked for both ways once you are on the roundabout but as the OP posted… the signage on the A43 shows the middle lane as eastbound only leaving you needing to drift over a heck of a long way

The revised j15 on the m4, when westbound and exiting the motorway now allows 3 lanes to go right for A419. I use left lane but pound to a penny someone in the middle lane drifts into yours before anyone has started turning right around the island.

Also joining the m25 clockwise at j10 from London you should / can use middle lane but no one on your right moves over to allow you into the correct lane without some encouragement.

Coryton interchange on the M4 Cardiff; A470.

It’s a given that on any gyratory, you do not move from left to right; but all the muppet car drivers do because there’s a section of about 100 yards where it isn’t clear which lane you should be in for M4 westbound.

njl:

Also joining the m25 clockwise at j10 from London you should / can use middle lane but no one on your right moves over to allow you into the correct lane without some encouragement.

I know exactly what you mean there. I am happy to provide all the encouragement that’s needed.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

M4 Jct 28 Newport since complete reworking, particularly if approaching from England and wishing to go north on the A467/468 for Rogerstone/Caerphilly.
Where it looks like you need to take the M4 again but in fact you’ll take the A48 exit towards Cardiff then immediately fork to the right and go 180’, many have found themselves back on the M4.

New layout near the transport cafe/Sainsburys Swindon, if coming up the A419 and wishing to take A420 to Oxford, there are two natural lanes to follow round but the centre lane isn’t signed for Oxford until more than half way round, confusing at first but on subsequent trips you learn to ignore the signs and go with the natural and obvious flow.

Other junctions we all use, especially on traffic light controlled rounadabouts, invariably timed so a loaded wagon has to stop for every set, that’s really good for the environment getting fully loaded wagon going from a standstill 2 or 3 times for no benefit for another living soul on the road :unamused:

And don’t me started on the A10/M25 junction, if anything worse than before they started digging the bloody thing up what seems like years ago now, causes mayhem for traffic leaving London from the A10.

Juddian:
And don’t me started on the A10/M25 junction, if anything worse than before they started digging the bloody thing up what seems like years ago now, causes mayhem for traffic leaving London from the A10.

I delivered to our tesco.com place the other day and it was night on impossible to turn right at the lights onto the A10 North and stay in the left lane for M25 anti-clockwise because of the traffic building up. It was actually quicker for me based on another truck I measured progress against to stay right to ensure I cleared the box junction, keep right for M25 clockwise, traverse the whole of the roundabout at J25 and then join the M25.

To add to the OP, M25 J30 looking for A13 London bound. Three lanes at top of island, right one marked A13 London, follow lines and it will keep you on inside of three lanes going right at island, then at the next set of lights the middle lane becomes an option for A13 but notice is so short you’re stuck on the inside lane trying to get across but can’t because people who know the junction well have ignored the road marking/sign and filled the space. Which is fine if you know the junction but makes no sense if you don’t. To solve it lane two of sliproad from M25 clockwise should be signed for A13 west AND A1306 for Thurrock.

Countless examples everywhere. Amazing they can’t get something so straightforward (in many cases) right, instead creating conflict on the roundabout with potential arguments over liability in any case of collisions.

One that boils my ■■■■ is the roundabout on A17/A16 near Boston. Heading towards Kings Lynn it used to be left lane for Boston and right lane to continue on the A17. Nice and easy and the obviuos route to take. A few years ago the feckwits changed it so for the A17 you should be in left lane and only right for A16 Spalding yet even though its signposted and white markings on the floor people still take the old right lane for Lynn causing some very close incidents.
What is it with the road planners today?

Don’t get the Brit obsession with silly roundabout markings.
That’s a typical French roundabout.
Just approach it and navigate it on the basis of keep to the nearside for going left or ahead and offside for anything past 12 o clock.
maps.app.goo.gl/2TjNM4d9D2Z37SaP7

Carryfast:
Don’t get the Brit obsession with silly roundabout markings.
That’s a typical French roundabout.
Just approach it and navigate it on the basis of keep to the nearside for going left or ahead and offside for anything past 12 o clock.
maps.app.goo.gl/2TjNM4d9D2Z37SaP7

Edit to add obviously keep to nearside for going right or ahead in the French case.The idea of using the nearside past 12 o clock is not only contrary to the highway code it creates conflict with traffic trying to exit the roundabout.

Glad it’s not just me then. Typical road planners not giving us a second thought. Maybe they went took the same university course as the architects who design brand new loading bays with blind side reverses.

The best island design I’ve come across is the M6 at J3. Has 5 exits and no matter where you’re coming from or going to if you approach in the correctly marked lane you can enter and exit the island without ever changing lanes.

The only issue then becomes knob heads trying to get ahead by flying round in the wrong lane but you can’t design that away.

When I was conducting tests for the DVSA, I queried the road markings on some roundabouts. I was told that a lot of roundabouts were having to remove right turn road markings on approach to stop people attempting to go round the wrong way…

I was sceptical about this until I found myself having to stop candidates from doing just that on several occasions :open_mouth: I conclude that they are altering markings to accommodate the falling standards of new drivers.