Car drivers to be allowed to drive lorry without test to hel

glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas … y-24681316

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

I really cant believe what I am reading.If this happens,down down go our wages,and the standard of driving will be absolutly terrible.
Im not driving trucks for the same money as someone flipping burgers,no way

I think that this might have just been covered lol :smiley: trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=172842

I havent looked at the site for a while.whats so funny?

I believe it’s 7.5 tonne entitlement. Which I wouldn’t class as a lorry. Typical media getting a clickbait title

Open the link

The link provide in the original post to increase the sensationalist reporting omits a vital sentence, it’s for up to 7.5t, which me like thousands of others got into driving many many years ago, was just a stepping stone to larger things, it wasn’t a problem before 97 so why should it be now?

Tom881:
Car drivers to be allowed to drive lorry without test to help HGV driver shortage - Glasgow Live

I’m curious to understand why you would start this thread when you obviously know about the other thread on the same subject because you’ve posted the same link in it :confused: :confused: :confused:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 0#p2839715

It just comes across as sensationalism for the sake of it.

edit: Given the sensationalist inaccuracy of the article linked to in the opening post of this thread it may, in my opinion at-least, be a good idea for the mods to lock this thread.

This popped up on facebook yesterday, don’t remember the papers name but it showed a pic of artics with the headline as per the title of this thread, talk about miss leading. As far as I can make out it’s a return to pre '97 days where a car licence allows you to drive up to 7.5t.

GORDON 50:
This popped up on facebook yesterday, don’t remember the papers name but it showed a pic of artics with the headline as per the title of this thread, talk about miss leading. As far as I can make out it’s a return to pre '97 days where a car licence allows you to drive up to 7.5t.

Yes but in the original article, in the Telegraph, it clearly justified the use of pics of artics by saying it was a stepping stone route into further training required for artics. Yes it was somewhat clickbait in The Telegraph, but this Glasgow article makes me embarrassed.

Sploom:
I really cant believe what I am reading.If this happens,down down go our wages,and the standard of driving will be absolutly terrible.
Im not driving trucks for the same money as someone flipping burgers,no way

Ths is my first post on this forum, did not want to be a lurked, so I thought I would jump in on this subject.
I passed my C+E first time last month straight from a car. I would not worry about car drivers getting jobs, they won’t, nobody will employ me, as I have no experience, the car drivers have even less, so no worries there. Its all headlines to take your mind of more important things going on in the country at the moment.

Notme:
Ths is my first post on this forum, did not want to be a lurked, so I thought I would jump in on this subject.
I passed my C+E first time last month straight from a car. I would not worry about car drivers getting jobs, they won’t, nobody will employ me, as I have no experience, the car drivers have even less, so no worries there. Its all headlines to take your mind of more important things going on in the country at the moment.

I wish I had some sage words of advice mate but unfortunately apart from “stick in, it’ll all work out” I have nothing unfortunately.

I am curious though as to why you wanted to become a lorry driver? Is it something you’ve for long wanted to do, or were you lured in by the headlines saying you can earn £60k plus for a 40 hour week?

I’m not judging by the way, but I am genuinely curious.

the maoster:

Notme:

I wish I had some sage words of advice mate but unfortunately apart from “stick in, it’ll all work out” I have nothing unfortunately.

I am curious though as to why you wanted to become a lorry driver? Is it something you’ve for long wanted to do, or were you lured in by the headlines saying you can earn £60k plus for a 40 hour week?

I’m not judging by the way, but I am genuinely curious.

I have always wanted to drive trucks, I had a provisional licence and passed a medical 30 yrs ago, could not afford to pay for lessons, so did not bother and stayed at my trade. Now I have retired, and, the training was free, I thought, why not, then just do it part time, or, if push comes to shove, full time until I get the experience and knowledge, then I will be able to pick and choose so keeping occupied. I did not expect to be let loose on a £100,000 set up, but all the jobs I have researched, and, there is a lot of them, all say, min 6 months experience. So, I am now a 16 year old school leaver.

I walked straight into a class 1 job after passing.
It can be done.
Others have done the same at my place since.
A company around the corner also do it. I was talking to one of their guys today, did same as me.

Notme:
I have always wanted to drive trucks, I had a provisional licence and passed a medical 30 yrs ago, could not afford to pay for lessons, so did not bother and stayed at my trade. Now I have retired, and, the training was free, I thought, why not, then just do it part time, or, if push comes to shove, full time until I get the experience and knowledge, then I will be able to pick and choose so keeping occupied. I did not expect to be let loose on a £100,000 set up, but all the jobs I have researched, and, there is a lot of them, all say, min 6 months experience. So, I am now a 16 year old school leaver.

And therein lies your problem. You say you’re retired, so I’m guessing you’re the wrong side of sixty; yet you have the experience in the industry of a 21 year old who would offer a lot more years of service. You’ve also hit a relatively quiet period in the driving calendar, when there is usually less demand for agency staff; yes I know the function of same is to cover holiday absence, but that seems to have been cancelled out by drops in demand and production in industry. Therefore experienced men are being used to keep them busy and stop them defecting to other agencies, and you’re at the bottom of the pecking order.

You need to either start knocking on doors, or sign up with as many agencies as you can and hope for the best.

Don’t know why people are worried the 7.5 ton market is dead.

fingermissing:
Don’t know why people are worried the 7.5 ton market is dead.

Except it isn’t, and barring a change in the law regarding weight limits, it won’t be for many years. Local authorities still use thousands of them for a start.

The elephant in the room is electric trucks. For an electric van to carry the same payload as a diesel powered one, it needs to be correspondingly heavier. If the limit stays at 3.5 tonnes, that effectively means that a long wheelbase Sprinter will be going out with about half a tonne of payload, no better than a small postman’s van does now. So to take up the shortfall, you’d need twice as many vans and twice as many drivers; but there’s only the same amount of revenue plus the vans themselves are much more expensive, so that means recruitment issues or higher delivery prices.

Now, given that many modern 7.5 tonne trucks are not much bigger than a LWB Sprinter van anyway, and have a trend towards being more of a bigger Iveco Daily and less of a scaled-down “real” lorry it’s even less of a step than it perhaps was in 1997.

it’s even less of a step than it perhaps was in 1997

Take test in Vaux Viva or Ford ■■■■■■ and then jump into Leyland Terrier or Ford D Series. That was me in 1971 :smiley:

The Dutch don’t think it’s a good idea.

trans.info/en/brexit-bonus-dutch-300366

I was delivering to a chemical factory yesterday and the guy unloading me, says thats a 7.5 tonne lorry isn’t it and you don’t need an hgv licence?

Erm… no its 26 tonne and you need a class 2 licence to drive it!!!