A weaklings struggle with the red airline

Had a delivery yesterday and was told once i was on bay i had to disconect one of the airlines and put a padlock on it. Having read on here about this practice before and it was always the red airline i assume it has to be the red one rather than the yellow. So i dutifuly spent 2 mins struggeling trying to reach the red airline and remove it (im a short arse at 5’6). As i discovered this was the easy bit compaired to putting it back on. I ended up curled around the fridge unit in a fetal position to beable to get behind it enough to connect it. With the driver next to me trying not to look and wetting himself.

I did think after i had managed it and left i should of dumped some air. But what other trick have i missed

As you said just dump some air out by pressing the brake pedal a few times, or put legs down pull pin and inch forward until you have enough room. It’s all a ball-ache :angry:

cooper1203:
what other trick have i missed

Not looking for another career immediately :slight_smile:

In seriousness, I sometimes use my knee under my forearm to give myself leverage when I’ve got a trickier red line. Works every time for me.

A quick tip to get the red airline back onto a close coupled fridge with no Mavis rail is to simply push the shunt button on the trailer (assuming it hasn’t been disabled) , drive clear of the bay and any other trucks and put a hard right or left in until the unit is at 90 degrees to the trailer and hey presto it can be pushed on from the floor.

Disclaimer; be careful where you do this and be careful of who you do it around, lots of companies are really ■■■■ about moving on the shunt button and plenty of yards are full of women trapped in mens bodies who’d quickly go running to teacher if they saw it.

Some such examples will be along shortly………

I used to spray male and female with WD40. Made the job very easy. :smiley:

^^^^ I just quickly dunk them into the fuel tank. Cheaper ya see :smiley:

the maoster:
A quick tip to get the red airline back onto a close coupled fridge with no Mavis rail is to simply push the shunt button on the trailer (assuming it hasn’t been disabled) , drive clear of the bay and any other trucks and put a hard right or left in until the unit is at 90 degrees to the trailer and hey presto it can be pushed on from the floor.

Disclaimer; be careful where you do this and be careful of who you do it around, lots of companies are really ■■■■ about moving on the shunt button and plenty of yards are full of women trapped in mens bodies who’d quickly go running to teacher if they saw it.

silly question does pressing/pulling the shunt button lesson the back pressure

cooper1203:
But what other trick have i missed

I run into the same problem sometimes. I find if I can’t get the red back on easily, I remove every single Suzie and start from scratch in the order and position I want (red first).

drover:
or put legs down pull pin and inch forward until you have enough room. :angry:

Yes, (AKA split coupling) but also

the maoster:
Disclaimer; be careful where you do this and be careful of who you do it around,

cooper1203:

the maoster:

silly question does pressing/pulling the shunt button lesson the back pressure

No but it enables you to move without airline connected so you can screw it round giving you easier access

I noticed that every time a new truck comes out,the air pressure seems to have increased,making it harder to connect the red airline.I try and position myself behind it and get my right leg to supply the force if possible.
On the Scanias,there is a wire you can pull on the air tank to drain the air instead of having to press the brake pedal

As above, lubing the connectors up makes the job a lot easier.
My favourite is aerosol chain lube, which also happens to be good for locks and hinges etc.

Ground access rails should be legally and morally obligated on all trailers :slight_smile:

toonsy:
Ground access rails should be legally and morally obligated on all trailers :slight_smile:

Yes, our own (owned) trailers have them (but not the rented fridges etc). But using them triggers my OCD as I end up with the lines lying on the catwalk rather than neatly stowed…

Juddian:
As above, lubing the connectors up makes the job a lot easier.
My favourite is aerosol chain lube, which also happens to be good for locks and hinges etc.

I use Vaseline - a tiny smear goes a long way. After all, we all have a pot in our work bags in case of DVSA stops :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the maoster:
A quick tip to get the red airline back onto a close coupled fridge with no Mavis rail is to simply push the shunt button on the trailer

A bit of trivia, in case anyone doesn’t know.

The reason it’s called a Mavis Rail is that Mavis is an acronym for Montracon Articulated Vehicle Interconnecting System.

Harry Monk:

the maoster:
A quick tip to get the red airline back onto a close coupled fridge with no Mavis rail is to simply push the shunt button on the trailer

The reason it’s called a Mavis Rail is that Mavis is an acronym for Montracon Articulated Vehicle Interconnecting System.

Doubly frustrating then that not one of the several Montracon built hire trailers that we have are equipped with such a system.

Pull the red button out, and dangle the padlock over the still-in airline.

Oh, and make sure you’re seen sitting in the passenger seat as Kitchener Union Guy “Your firm needs YOU to wear your mask!” walks by, looking for non-complianting renegades like moi, whistling sweetly, and looking innocent as they walk by, barely paying attention to my dangly padlock handiwork…

You don’t need to be so much “short” to climb up the catwalk to ponce about with red airlines - you need to be a victorian chimney sweep kid just to get up there!

Harry Monk:

the maoster:

I see a lot of such rails on supermarket trailers, but I have not seen a blue shunt button for over a decade since leaving RM… :open_mouth:

Sorry, I don’t quite understand, Why are you getting pressure when you connect the Suzzie? Yes there is always a little back pressure but if you pump the brake a couple of times prior to disconnect the pressure is released.
All the trailers I ever used had a handle at the base of the connectors in order to close the air lines. cutting off the air for disconnecting and reconnecting. Trailer braking systems have a one way valve system so the air is only coming from the unit air tank !! And once the handle is turned the air is closed off, so there should be no pressure building up or stored in the lines.
Plus allowing the air to flow while attempting to connect or disconnect is dangerous ? :open_mouth: :cry: