Lad on bridge above m4 Reading

corij:
often wonder what id do if i was coming up over a bridge and saw someone start to climb ready to jump.

I did an article for CM recently talking to the guy who runs the Met’s CVU, Inspector Rik Wenham, about suicide by truck - it was published a week or so back. There’ll be a different version of the same story in T&D soon too, because it’s such an important subject…

…ANYWAY, one thing he did say, and was adamant he wants people to know, was (quote): " “The main thing, really, is that if something doesn’t look or feel right, just phone it in. We’re not going to moan about going and speaking to someone on the side of the road who turns out to just be lost.”

There have actually been situations where people have done “dry runs”, either with smaller vehicles, or just repeatedly visiting a spot to suss out how they could later make an attempt. Obviously in this guy’s case this doesn’t apply, but you do right to wonder and to check.

(Rik tells me he does sometimes read TruckNet, so you never know, he may even appear at some point.)