Wages falling Southampton

It looks like pay rates are dropping again. Seen jobs advertised on containers in the Southampton area this week between £11.75 and £13ph. Is this now the going rate?

It’ll only become the going rate again if people accept it.

Only fools

Dropping to £11.25 [emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

There was a funster on indeed a few weeks ago offering £11 an hour for ADR work out of Widnes
This is the town where my 18 year old nephew works in Maccies flipping burgers for £9.50 an hour, he left school, I say left, he was hardly there, with zero qualifications
Wonder if there were any takers? After spending all that money, time and effort to get your class 1 licence not to mention the ADR certification, knowing that one false move can end in disaster and a long prison sentence
No chance of that in the fast food game, after all, there’s a difference at McDonald’s

But but but… they said on LBC last year that lorry drivers are earning £70k per year!

Most companies are all trying to win the race to the bottom

bigdave789:
There was a funster on indeed a few weeks ago offering £11 an hour for ADR work out of Widnes
This is the town where my 18 year old nephew works in Maccies flipping burgers for £9.50 an hour, he left school, I say left, he was hardly there, with zero qualifications
Wonder if there were any takers? After spending all that money, time and effort to get your class 1 licence not to mention the ADR certification, knowing that one false move can end in disaster and a long prison sentence
No chance of that in the fast food game, after all, there’s a difference at McDonald’s

Food poisoning kills

Ex Haulier:
It looks like pay rates are dropping again. Seen jobs advertised on containers in the Southampton area this week between £11.75 and £13ph. Is this now the going rate?

At plenty companies much less job now.As soon agency drivers will be happy if get 3 day per week for 12p/h.I think will be big recession,plenty companies will go out from this game.

They never got above £11.50 an hr in Cornwall - the only Brexit benefit we’ve had is higher prices & difficulties exporting our main commodities: Fish & Veg.

The big green machine needs drivers in Southampton 53 K

robthedog:
The big green machine needs drivers in Southampton 53 K

The big green…

High speed machine.

FTFY.

And people fell for this 54k a year crap, and still are, market is getting flooded now with new passes because folk are thinking 54k is achievable doing a 9 till 5 .

Yes you can earn £800 a week maxed out, break it down and with tax deductions …and away all week…mugs game.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

£15 ph for freightliner in bristol

rearaxle:
And people fell for this 54k a year crap, and still are, market is getting flooded now with new passes because folk are thinking 54k is achievable doing a 9 till 5 .

Yes you can earn £800 a week maxed out, break it down and with tax deductions …and away all week…mugs game.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

You’re working for the wrong firm if you’re maxing out & away all week for £800 a week.

You’re working for the wrong firm if you’re maxing out & away all week for £800 a week.

I was going to say the same thing! I’m on the milk home everyday, 12 hour night shifts 4 on 4 off and I’m on 800 a week. Would I do 5 / 6 days plus nights out?? Umm no I wouldn’t. This is in Cornwall by the way so other parts and more busier parts of the country must be paying the same if not more.
If no one takes these ■■■■ poor paying jobs then they will have no choice but to increase the wages. I’m not saying the extortionate 54k a year that was quoted during the “shortage” but a class one driver should be on at least £15 an hour

Ex Haulier:

There’s still a sizeable EE driver pool in that neck of the woods which i imagine plays a primary role in keeping wages stagnant.

manalishi:

Ex Haulier:

There’s still a sizeable EE driver pool in that neck of the woods which i imagine plays a primary role in keeping wages stagnant.

There are a lot of hauliers out there who simply cannot afford to take anyone on above £12ph, and therefore have to now go for the 9-points crowd, new passes, and of course anyone with insufficient command of English to know that you can command double that wage by simply looking for the larger contracts actually near to where you live…

Why this assumption that “overnighting” or “Tramping” and “60+ hours” is the only way to get the wages upto a grand a week these days?

In the slump we now appear to have coming, everything is going to be about “making the cut” rather than “who pays what” in any case.

If Half the jobs disappear, but those jobs remaining are paying double the old going rate - just make sure you are not the one trying to get by needing a satnav. :bulb:

If you let them, the first thing that firms will do that have just taken you on for inferior rates - is to then max out your legal hours one way or the other… This compounds the loss of course.

Better to do 30 hours @ £18ph than 45 hours @ £12ph. The wage is exactly the same (£540) but you are commuting to work less often (saving ££££’s with fuel at these prices!) not to mention having more quality time at home with your family, assuming that is your thing of course… “Work/Life Balance”…

You could even opt for 45 hours @ £18ph, lose one shift in three on agency, and STILL end up no worse off.

Personally, I reckon we may well be heading into a “Golden Age of Agency” where those who don’t actually need so many hours per week - get to command the show.

From a firm’s point of view - “who do you want driving your wagons on a friday night?” - Some bod who’s already put in 60 hours that week, or some agency for whom friday night is their core shift, having spent the rest of the week off by choice… “Part Timer”…

60 hours bod is going to be “rush rush rush” before they run out of hours… Part Timer? A nice long relaxing shift with enhanced pay for working into Saturday Morning - and that shift worth THREE of these £12ph rushabout larks, dropped in your lap at 30 minutes notice and all… I still get texts on my phone from agencies I’ve never even met nor signed up with - “Job 30 miles away - start time 90 minutes from now” - that don’t even try to tempt me with £30ph+ rates touted… :open_mouth:

“Basildon” seems to be the main one… “MJD” comes a close second… I once entertained a phone call from Gaffer at MJD for him to say “£145 per shift” and I said “That’s fine, providing I can cap that shift at 10 hours as per night time working time directive”… I never heard from him again. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp:

Winseer:

manalishi:

Ex Haulier:

There are a lot of hauliers out there who simply cannot afford to take anyone on above £12ph, and therefore have to now go for the 9-points crowd, new passes, and of course anyone with insufficient command of English to know that you can command double that wage by simply looking for the larger contracts actually near to where you live…

Why this assumption that “overnighting” or “Tramping” and “60+ hours” is the only way to get the wages upto a grand a week these days?

In the slump we now appear to have coming, everything is going to be about “making the cut” rather than “who pays what” in any case.

If Half the jobs disappear, but those jobs remaining are paying double the old going rate - just make sure you are not the one trying to get by needing a satnav. :bulb:

If you let them, the first thing that firms will do that have just taken you on for inferior rates - is to then max out your legal hours one way or the other… This compounds the loss of course.

Better to do 30 hours @ £18ph than 45 hours @ £12ph. The wage is exactly the same (£540) but you are commuting to work less often (saving ££££’s with fuel at these prices!) not to mention having more quality time at home with your family, assuming that is your thing of course… “Work/Life Balance”…

You could even opt for 45 hours @ £18ph, lose one shift in three on agency, and STILL end up no worse off.

Personally, I reckon we may well be heading into a “Golden Age of Agency” where those who don’t actually need so many hours per week - get to command the show.

From a firm’s point of view - “who do you want driving your wagons on a friday night?” - Some bod who’s already put in 60 hours that week, or some agency for whom friday night is their core shift, having spent the rest of the week off by choice… “Part Timer”…

60 hours bod is going to be “rush rush rush” before they run out of hours… Part Timer? A nice long relaxing shift with enhanced pay for working into Saturday Morning - and that shift worth THREE of these £12ph rushabout larks, dropped in your lap at 30 minutes notice and all… I still get texts on my phone from agencies I’ve never even met nor signed up with - “Job 30 miles away - start time 90 minutes from now” - that don’t even try to tempt me with £30ph+ rates touted… :open_mouth:

“Basildon” seems to be the main one… “MJD” comes a close second… I once entertained a phone call from Gaffer at MJD for him to say “£145 per shift” and I said “That’s fine, providing I can cap that shift at 10 hours as per night time working time directive”… I never heard from him again. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp:

Yep there’s a ‘phoney war’ vibe at large currently as the great clouds of uncertainty darken daily and the apocalypse jockeys prepare to mount their steeds.Anyone would think ww3 is already in progress. :neutral_face: :unamused:

uk.indeed.com/pagead/clk/dl?mo= … 91c8&fvj=1