Most expensive car - can't afford the petrol?

Anyone else getting fed up with cars cluttering up lane 1 dawdling at less than 56 because they can’t afford the petrol anymore? I’ve overtaken BMW’s, Volvo V90, Range Rover Velars etc.
Although one car last night I think just wanted to be a trucker. I could tell he had cruise control on and as I passed I could see the digital dash was showing 55 (like he couldn’t afford 57 and keep out of my way) anyway he flashed me in, insistently and way too early, so I gave him the dancing indicators for the next 3 minutes while I disappeared over the horizon.

What’s the most expensive car you’ve had to overtake?

They’re probably like me, yes i can afford the petrol but dislike being taken for a mug with overpriced overtaxed fuel, kept artificially highly priced in order to force enough people (who can’t see what will happen once enough have complied) to spend something like 4 X the price of my first house on a bloody battery car.

No i don’t travel at truck speed in my car(s), but have cut my private travel down to the absolute minimum.

We’re in a sort of limbo at the moment, people are still getting new cars whether buying on the drip or renting or leasing, this is nothing new but we all work with working class bods on workers wages buying flash brand new cars that were once the preserve of company supplied fodder for go getting execs, personally i’d have said sod the new car and bollocked huge lumps off the mortage or cleared debts instead and had a rainy day fund set aside for when the smelly stuff hits the fan, i forsee much wailing and knashing of teeth down the line when mortage interest rates reach the level they should have been at for at least the last 10 years.

Its not that long ago when mortage interest was around 15%, when a decent house was around £100k for many quite decent parts of the country and people were decimated with bansk repoing their homes, now we’ve got working class people with ideas of grandeur indebting themselves to £400k mortages and more, which might seem ok until the interest rates double at the same time heating bills double and then some.
Something’s going to give very shortly and the whole house of cards is coming down.

Audi s5 , think it was a 18/19 plate , you can see the Prius types driving at 50 , but why you’d buy a s5 to do 50 I don’t know , unless there pcp,d upto there eyeballs & trying to save a few pennies , think a few are regretting there decisions money wise now

Also don’t underestimate the fear of getting caught out very badly by variable and varying limits combined with cameras.Can easily lose your licence in one journey.While just one flash at 65 mph in a missed 50 gets 6 points.
There are more downsides than upsides to using motorways now.

no but i tend to drive @ 55mph then when someone overtakes me at 56mph and is level to my head I will floor it then il slow down again and wait for the hurle of abuse then il put it on youtube for views

Well I’ve just pumped 2 gallon into the peak district atmosphere.

I have noticed I’m collecting an unbelievable amount of Mustangs from We Buy Any Car sites at the moment. I guess the novelty of keeping a 5 litre V8 topped up at nearly £2 a litre has worn off for many :laughing:

crunch13:
I have noticed I’m collecting an unbelievable amount of Mustangs from We Buy Any Car sites at the moment. I guess the novelty of keeping a 5 litre V8 topped up at nearly £2 a litre has worn off for many :laughing:

Also Ford’s V8 is pointlessly complicated and expensive to fix OHC since the 4.6.
The LS motor in the Camaro and Monaro/VXR8 is a better bet.Their values as strong as ever last time I looked.
While might as well buy a 5.0 litre JLR V8 than the Ford still no shortage of buyers for those

Carryfast:
Also don’t underestimate the fear of getting caught out very badly by variable and varying limits combined with cameras.Can easily lose your licence in one journey.While just one flash at 65 mph in a missed 50 gets 6 points.

My Actros does it all for me. Adjusts cruise control for all speed limits.
I can’t believe the expensive cars can’t do that too if you want them to.

stu675:
Anyone else getting fed up with cars cluttering up lane 1 dawdling at less than 56 because they can’t afford the petrol anymore?

They seem to be cluttering up lane 2 more, as usual.

Best car I ever had was my old Lexus, although heavy on petrol, it was converted to run on LPG too which was absolutely awesome and cheap as chips to run. Filled the car with petrol maybe 4 or 5 times a year! LPG was giving me just as much MPG as petrol and burns a lot cleaner too and I didn’t loose performance on the engine either. LPG was metered at around 65p a litre before I left England nearly 6 years ago, I don’t know what it is there now but I’m guessing it a a hell of a lot cheaper than what petrol is at the moment!
I’m surprised more people don’t convert their cars. . . Sure it’s expensive at around £1100 for the conversion but what you save in petrol pays for the conversion within a couple of years easy. Just too bad the govt never lowered the tax band for the car as it was duel fuel and cleaner as it was mostly burning LPG

Oh, and you loose some space in the boot with an LPG tank sitting in there or in the spare wheel area but I can live with that for cheap fuel!

stu675:

Carryfast:

My Actros does it all for me. Adjusts cruise control for all speed limits.
I can’t believe the expensive cars can’t do that too if you want them to.

A £100k Range Rover ain’t cheap and it doesn’t have that facility.The recent ones just show the speed limit on the dash sometimes also HUD display on the windscreen in real time but the limiter/cruise has to be re set manually.Also cruise is cancelled by braking or acceleration.I think the law is for such speed limiting technology to be fitted to all new vehicles registered from June.
Also plenty of older cars around without even any on board speed limit information shown.
Which still leaves the possibility of missing a continuously varying limit bouncing around anywhere between 40-70 mph.Its a joke deliberately intended to disincentive road use to get anywhere fast.

ezydriver:

stu675:
Anyone else getting fed up with cars cluttering up lane 1 dawdling at less than 56 because they can’t afford the petrol anymore?

They seem to be cluttering up lane 2 more, as usual.

As opposed to trucks often elephant racing sometimes across three lanes of a four lane motorway.
Bearing in mind the only reason that a truck needs to overtake a truck is because the truck being overtaken is running at less than 56 mph.
The whole motorway speed regime has been deliberately dumbed down to a joke.

Scraggy88:
Best car I ever had was my old Lexus, although heavy on petrol, it was converted to run on LPG too which was absolutely awesome and cheap as chips to run. Filled the car with petrol maybe 4 or 5 times a year! LPG was giving me just as much MPG as petrol and burns a lot cleaner too and I didn’t loose performance on the engine either. LPG was metered at around 65p a litre before I left England nearly 6 years ago, I don’t know what it is there now but I’m guessing it a a hell of a lot cheaper than what petrol is at the moment!
I’m surprised more people don’t convert their cars. . . Sure it’s expensive at around £1100 for the conversion but what you save in petrol pays for the conversion within a couple of years easy. Just too bad the govt never lowered the tax band for the car as it was duel fuel and cleaner as it was mostly burning LPG

Oh, and you loose some space in the boot with an LPG tank sitting in there or in the spare wheel area but I can live with that for cheap fuel!

LPG makes even more sense than diesel for trucks and vans.It just needs a spark ignition conversion and a reduction in the compression ratio.

iremember when petrol went over a pound there were hoards of people with thier cars sat on thier driveways collecting dust Couldnt talk to someone with out being told that they couldnt afford torun the car anyore. Now its over 2 quid depending on the filling station and people are queueing down the street for the bloody stuff

cooper1203:
iremember when petrol went over a pound there were hoards of people with thier cars sat on thier driveways collecting dust Couldnt talk to someone with out being told that they couldnt afford torun the car anyore. Now its over 2 quid depending on the filling station and people are queueing down the street for the bloody stuff

Also seem to have loads of free time off work in addition to holidays.Whether they’re driving or cycling during the day.

Some of us old schoolers can remember filling the tank for a £ . Two bob a GALLON etc.

alamcculloch:
Some of us old schoolers can remember filling the tank for a £ . Two bob a GALLON etc.

You’d have to be very, very old school to remember two bob a gallon - petrol prices that low haven’t been seen since before WW2. Four shillings a gallon was typical in the 50s, but my earliest recollection (as a passenger, not driving!) was 7/6d (ie 37.5p) per gallon in the 60s.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

alamcculloch:

You’d have to be very, very old school to remember two bob a gallon - petrol prices that low haven’t been seen since before WW2. Four shillings a gallon was typical in the 50s, but my earliest recollection (as a passenger, not driving!) was 7/6d (ie 37.5p) per gallon in the 60s.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Early 60’s was less than 5/- a gallon even late 60’s was still less than 7/-.Ford Anglia had less than 7 gallon tank.Call it around 30 Bob to fill it up.
While from memory my Triumph 2.5 had a 14 gallon tank and the 5 star to fill it was around 75p or 15/- per gallon in the late 1970’s.It was no problem to run doing over a 20 mile per day commute on my less than 30 quid per week apprentice wage.It was only the insurance and maintenance cost that stopped me from running a 3.8 S type like The Sweeney TV stunt filming stupidly wrecked almost every episode.

My first car in 1961 was £12 10s a year for Road tax and about the same for TPFT insurance.
Cheapest petrol in the area was Jet at 3s 11d, most other brands were 4 shillings a gallon.
Rumours that Jet was inferior fuel were probably spread by the majors, as when I had an interview for a job at Ford Dagenham the interviewer said they had tested all fuels and it performed equally.