Drivers assessment

Hi everybody

today morning I was on a driving assessment and the assessor, transport manager himself, asked me to drive two trailers from the workshop as part of the assessment because " didnt have available trailers". obviously killing two birds with one stone. is that even legal? I havent signed a contract yet so I assume I wouldn’t be compensated for any potential injuries that might’ve happened, or would I?

P.S. still waiting for outcome

Cheers…

Skndlz:
Hi everybody

today morning I was on a driving assessment and the assessor, transport manager himself, asked me to drive two trailers from the workshop as part of the assessment because " didnt have available trailers". obviously he was killing two birds with one stone. is that even legal? I havent signed a contract yet so I assume I wouldn’t be compensated for any potential injuries that might’ve happened, or would I?

Why wouldn’t it be legal? Standard insurance for haulage companies is “any employee or person acting under the direction of”, assuming you actually drove on the road and if you weren’t and just driving round their yard you don’t even need a licence let alone insurance. Why wouldn’t you be compensated for potential injuries? You would be if you were visiting the business for any reason as the company will have public liability insurance.

Are you new to lorry driving? If so you may need to reconsider whether it’s for you, snowflakes tend to have a miserable time in the job.

its legal to “force” me to do work for a company for which I dont know I will be hired for and definitely not get paid for that day? Ffs why dont I pick up a load from Manchester for them than “as part of my assessment”?

we didnt go on a motorway, it was a 2 trailers pick up from local workshop (10 min drive each way)

I guess my initial question is: have you or anyone else on this forum hauled a full load on your drivers assessment?

yes im new, i was considering going for a taxi driver but now im staying just to ■■■■ you off

I like the cut of this guys jib ^^^ :laughing:

On topic it’s a bit a cheeky but I dont see much issue with it, presuming it’s clearly something you may need to do on occasion anyway. Personally I’d prefer doing something more work like on an assessment.

And yes it’s legal

only had 2 assesments. both in rigids one waas round the local area the other one was a 2 min drive to the sister site so i could be shown where to take the rubbish and the procedures there.

other agency work i have done they havent bothered. I get the imprestion that its just a check box exersise and a way to get rid of people they dont like the look of so might as well do somthing useful

Skndlz:
its legal to “force” me to do work for a company for which I dont know I will be hired and definitely not get paid for that day? Ffs why dont I pick up a load from Manchester for them than “as part of my assessment”?

What they asked and got you to do was totally legal and above board but as mentioned by Toonsy above a bit cheeky perhaps considering it was an assessment.

As for some of the other responses then ignore Conor as he is the resident forum gob****. Will insult, patronise and generally think he’s superior but his only skill and claim to fame as a lorry driver is night trunking up the M6 or A1 to Scotland and back.

During an interview, an urgent call came in and I was asked if I would take one of the managers up to Carlisle to collect a Ferrari on a trailer. The interview was in Leicester! It was the longest interview I’ve ever done. Yes, I did get the job :smiley:

My last assessment was drive for 5 mins , then 1/2 hr catching up with a lad I’d not seen for years , back to yard & passed with flying colours ,
Didn’t take job as too big a pay cut , but nice to see & catch up all the gossip with the lad

Skndlz:
Hi everybody

today morning I was on a driving assessment and the assessor, transport manager himself, asked me to drive two trailers from the workshop as part of the assessment because " didnt have available trailers". obviously he was killing two birds with one stone. is that even legal? I havent signed a contract yet so I assume I wouldn’t be compensated for any potential injuries that might’ve happened, or would I?

Cheers…

I’ve known plenty of people’s driving assessment to be a local delivery or something similar. Don’t really see what the problem is? Presumably you wanted the job so if it were me I’d be inclined to jump through whatever hoops they wanted within reason.

P.S. if you asked the tm the same thing that you’ve asked us you’ll probably waiting indefinitely for an outcome :laughing:

My thoughts on assessments (not that I’m an expert as I’ve only ever done one) is that if it’s a quick licence check, a few theory/highway code/ drivers hours regs followed by picking up a trailer and a quick blatt around the locale followed by a reverse amounting to no more than two hours I’d do that for free. If however I was to undertake a task(s) that earned the company revenue then I’d want paying for it. Fair’s fair and all that.

I have a suspicion that the o/p was lured in by the headlines about us all earning £58k for 38 hours and receiving blow jobs from grateful customers, but is now experiencing the harsh realities. The simple fact is that at £2 a litre, not to mention time that the vehicle is non revenue earning, assessments are an expensive affair. Why not combine the assessment with some good, honest revenue earning?

grumpybum:
During an interview, an urgent call came in and I was asked if I would take one of the managers up to Carlisle to collect a Ferrari on a trailer. The interview was in Leicester! It was the longest interview I’ve ever done. Yes, I did get the job :smiley:

Did he let you have a go in the ferrari? :wink:

I suppose you could have refused to do it citing modern slavery or something along those lines. However, he is kind of holding all the cards.

peterm:

grumpybum:

Did he let you have a go in the ferrari? :wink:

Well I transferred it from from one vehicle to ours if that counts. But the job involved moving a lot of high end cars, so I had plenty of opportunities. Didn’t really like the Ferrari’s to be honest. But the Aston Martins and Maserati’s were amazing.

You’ve been taken advantage off, in a big way. Don’t believe what they tell you here.

Have you not seen the adverts, the “signing on bonus” is a payment for the assessment, you should have been payed at least £500 for a part day. And you say you took trailers from the garage? You should get extra for that, as ghat is a fitters job, you’ve been used as a cheap way for the company to save on a fitters wages.

Get in touch with ACAS and your Union. This kind of treatment of drivers needs to be stopped.

Skndlz:
Hi everybody

today morning I was on a driving assessment and the assessor, transport manager himself, asked me to drive two trailers from the workshop as part of the assessment because " didnt have available trailers". obviously killing two birds with one stone. is that even legal? I havent signed a contract yet so I assume I wouldn’t be compensated for any potential injuries that might’ve happened, or would I?

Cheers…

Of course it’s legal,.he’s probably putting you to the test both in driving and attitude, if you’ve come across as being a bit arsey,.(judging by your 2nd post) and then talking about accidents and compo, I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for a phone call if I was you mate, just saying. :neutral_face:

If I was new to the job,.and keen to get a job , I’d be Mr Eagertoplease, as long as they didn’t take the ■■■■ of course, picking a trailer up for him,.checking it out,.and a short drive back to the yard, ain’t taking the ■■■■,.and ticks all the boxes for an assessment I’d reckon.

Btw how exactly was he ‘‘forcing’’ you to do it??
If I’d have felt as bad about it as you,.I’d have told him to ■■■■ off.
I’m all for standing up for yourself and all that, but if you want a job you have to please them, not them please you.
Good advice…take it or leave it, I ain’t fussed.

As you did some useful work they could have given you £20. from the petty cash.

On my 4 hour assessment, I had to complete 2 weeks of work with them before I was paid it at my normal rate.

stu675:
On my 4 hour assessment, I had to complete 2 weeks of work with them before I was paid it at my normal rate.

4 HOUR assessment?? :open_mouth:
Now that IS taking the ■■■■.
An actual driving test comes nowhere near that. :unamused:

robroy:

stu675:

4 HOUR assessment?? :open_mouth:
Now that IS taking the ■■■■.
An actual driving test comes nowhere near that. :unamused:

Nah, it was a lot of training as well. Delivering white goods so a lot of manual handling training/assessment.

Skndlz:
Hi everybody

Cheers…

Look at it this way he would be assessing your capability to couple up and move trailers and park one up without making a balls up, considering you can only pull one trailer at a time,leaving the last trailer to road assessment. Nothing illegal to worry your ■■■ about.