Renewing your Vehicle Tax at DVLA

Visited DVLA in Swansea today and noted that if you wish to renew your Vehicle Tax there they only accept cheques. They do not accept debit/credit cards or cash so be warned.

What a…

Strange organisation they are. I can understand not wanting cash because of the security problems that can arise but, not accepting credit or debit cards seems to me to be nothing but being awkward for the sake of it. They’ll take payment over the net with cards.

Even my local burger van takes card payments.

Why on earth would anyone want to visit DVLA to tax a car, even if they live in Swansea?

It’s so easy on-line. I’d suggest that so few people do that it hasn’t been worth setting up a card payment system.

Or, more likely, because the union won’t allow it lest the two staff whose job it is to deal with the cheques get made redundant. Assuming they’re not working from home anyway.

Just set up a direct debit, then you won’t forget :wink:

Go to post office or do it online then

waddy640:
Visited DVLA in Swansea today and noted that if you wish to renew your Vehicle Tax there they only accept cheques. They do not accept debit/credit cards or cash so be warned.

That seems to be somebody not knowing how to do his /her job properly,considering you can use a card to pay online. Only other explanation I can think of they don`t have a card machine,or the clerk is to idle to go and get one.
More surprised that you managed to see someone considering most of them WFH

lolipop:

waddy640:

That seems to be somebody not knowing how to do his /her job properly,considering you can use a card to pay online. Only other explanation I can think of they don`t have a card machine,or the clerk is to idle to go and get one.
More surprised that you managed to see someone considering most of them WFH

I went there to deliver copies of paperwork that I had delivered previously but that they had lost and noticed the signs regarding payments.

waddy640:

i hope you didn’t disturb them from there afternoon nap ‘bless em’

More than likely it’s to stop people actually going in and get them to do it online. I had this recently - I think it was for the driving licence card. Could renew online instantly, an option which was heavily pushed by the renewal reminder (track your renewal online etc.). If you wanted to renew any other way you had to go to the post office and pickup one of the D forms and fill it in to send off. Just seemed a cop out to cut down on number of applications they receive and increase the number of people applying online.