Heywood truck stop closing down 28. July

Seen on FB Heywood truck stop is closing for good on the 28th July
According to the post McDonalds have brought the site

I’ll be glad when they finish the building work at the gateway to the estate

Can’t see.mcdonlads going there .as it’s in a gated off estate with security.and they won’t be happy with cars all day wanting to use the drive through
Unless it’s a McDonald’s Warehouse

edd1974:
Can’t see.mcdonlads going there .as it’s in a gated off estate with security.and they won’t be happy with cars all day wanting to use the drive through
Unless it’s a McDonald’s Warehouse

Maybe it’s McDonald’s bakery up the okroad using it forgot the name was always busy when I used to go in there

Shame really ,
Apart from the rough terrain cafe was decent
Facilities not bad and always felt quite safe there to be honest .
What’s the nearest night out location from Heywood .
Is it Lymm? ( I swear if there is security there there in on any thieving
That’s goes on ) 2 of our trucks got slashed there last week .
Its a joke at these services & some truck stops now .

Places like Heywood should be protected by law. Its on an enclosed Industrial estate that has many HGVs visiting. In fact any new warehouse estate being built should have HGV parking provided as condition of planning consent!

The rumours are, Amazon have purchased the ground.

msgyorkie:
Places like Heywood should be protected by law. Its on an enclosed Industrial estate that has many HGVs visiting. In fact any new warehouse estate being built should have HGV parking provided as condition of planning consent!

Instead you will find Amazon will wash their hands of any responsibility truck parking wise by pinning posters to the gatehouse directing you to the nearest truck stops that are miles away (Lymm, Rivington) or in the case of Birch already full to bursting.

Heywood is the only proper truck stop facility in the entire Greater Manchester region, including Trafford Park which has no facilities despite being one of Europes biggest industrials estates.

Ridiculous.

I’m pretty sure the company, Martin Brower, that does the logistics for Maccies are based there, maybe they are expanding their own operations?

Norfolkinclue1:
I’m pretty sure the company, Martin Brower, that does the logistics for Maccies are based there, maybe they are expanding their own operations?

Iceland has been mentioned on FB as well

Another one bites the dust

Another step closer to the fact that there will be zero facilities for the workers of an industry
that keep Britain and the rest of Europe moving !!
No wonder nobody wants to become a lorry driver !

msgyorkie:

This :arrow_up: look at ivory in Donny as an example. Double yellow lines everywhere, security patrols on you like a tramp on chips if you stop, ANPR camera all over, new warehouses being but constantly but no where for trucks to park! It should be made law that these new estates have ample secure facilities for lorries. I mean, didn’t the government promise investment?

fatboystu1:

msgyorkie:

This :arrow_up: look at ivory in Donny as an example. Double yellow lines everywhere, security patrols on you like a tramp on chips if you stop, ANPR camera all over, new warehouses being but constantly but no where for trucks to park! It should be made law that these new estates have ample secure facilities for lorries. I mean, didn’t the government promise investment?

Yes we have put cabins on every plot on Iport and I was there last week and I was astounded at 10 plots and no lorry parking provision. Scandalous!

msgyorkie:

I suspect that fewer people want to tramp every year mate. I am mainly referring to British drivers, not sure about EE drivers as they may be more inclined to sleep in a wagon. This does not alter the fact that you are right with your point, I just think as the years will roll by more drivers will switch to days/nights or 4/4 etc.

Younger drivers coming into the industry don’t seem interested in sleeping out and in fairness I don’t blame them. I think the furlough period has led many people to re-evaluate life and more and more people want to do Youtube stuff to make a living or work from home, sell stuff on Ebay etc… Staff shortages across all industries in the Western world are struggling to get staff,

Birch services Greggs Eastbound was shut early most of this week because of staff shortages, a girl who works there told me it’s too stressful and they can’t get staff.

The parking for lorries in time will ease in my view as less people will want to do it and I think the Gov knows this.

Martin Bower’s (McDonalds) is across the road facing Lineage (Yearsleys), they do already park vehicles in Heywood dist. est. due to lack of space. Been rumoured for years they were going to move, last one I heard was near to Aldi off M61.

Heywood was the first truck park I stayed in when I first started tramping. I liked it; bit dusty, extrememly muddy in the wet and full of potholes but had necessary amenities and was far nicer than some of the other stops I have stayed at. Not sure why maccys thinks it worth buying buy hey ho.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk