Crossing the Thames

So I needed to cross the river Thames yesterday,difficult to find a route as it looks like all the crossings are 18 tonne limits.Are there any bridges you can cross apart from the Dartford?

Woolwich ferry? Or depending on your height the Blackwall tunnel. Of course that may require you to go off route a bit.

Not easy to cross north to south .
Blakcwall has height 4m north. 4.7 m south

Southwark bridge a 300 has 40t weight limit no height restrictions

No,I was running at 16 foot.I cant believe they neverbuilt not even one bridge for trucks

OK, its years since i ventured into the centre of the dump (suit me fine if i never saw the hole again), but back in the 90’s criss crossed London almost every day of the week, it was still a decent enough place then.

Blackfriars, Southwark, Vauxhall, London, Kew, Richmond (Putney) Hammersmith and possibly Battersea i seem to recall using many times with loaded car transporters, plus possibly others depending on the accessibility, though admittedly my typical maximum heights varied depending on number of cars on board, don’t forget you could get away with a lot driving a transporter cos you could always come up with a rental office of some sort as your ‘supposed’ destination requiring access.

Whats happened in the meantime apart from various attempts to extort penalties for keeping the bloody place going.

Sploom:
No,I was running at 16 foot.I cant believe they neverbuilt not even one bridge for trucks

There’s plenty that have.no heights and.could easily take heavy traffic.
Just the goverment decided to impose a lot of 7.5 or even 2t weight limits on them.In there anti truck anti pollution ccampaign.
Yet busses are fine no idea weight of a bus
But it defeats the objective if a truck has to do an extra 20 miles detour to cross the river pumping out all them.fumes

Apparently,18 lorries a day still use the bridges breaking the weight limit.The bridges are able to withstand it

Sploom:
Apparently,18 lorries a day still use the bridges breaking the weight limit.The bridges are able to withstand it

Excatly my point. But the 18 a day you say use them will get a fine through the post at a guess be £100 or more for breaking the law.
Easy money 2 grand a.day for the goverment

edd1974:

Sploom:

Excatly my point. But the 18 a day you say use them will get a fine through the post at a guess be £100 or more for breaking the law.
Easy money 2 grand a.day for the goverment

ie…The REAL reason for the weight limit.
Vauxhall bridge for instance and example…, used to be the main route through London to get to Brighton before M25 as far as I remember…ok there will be wear and tear, but that bridge has been up for years, I ain’t no civil engineer, but I’d sure as hell bet it would still be capable of carrying heavy traffic as it used to be.
Big up to Mr Khan, the Trucker’s friend… :unamused:

I go on the Woolwich ferry occasionally in an artic and further West i used Kew Bridge a couple of times last week without a problem, unless you count the yoghurt knitting, celery muching tree huggers who cycle up the nearside of your lorry without a care in the world, some with an attachment to their bicycle pulling little 2 year old Tristan in a homemade trailer

Dozy is the resident expert on the Woolwich Ferry, he’ll even know where to get the duty frees onboard

Realistically if you’ve reached central London and you’re on the wrong side of the river all bets are off traffic wise or regs.
It’s bad enough having to cross it anywhere between Chertsey and Kingston outside the hours of 10pm to 6am.While even the Berkshire crossings aren’t easy and all that’s just with a car let alone an artic.
Basically you need to get on the correct side of the river using either the M25 crossings or the A316 or Walton bridge the rest are a basket case.

Dartford or just south of J13 on the M25 .
Theres not enough money in the world to get me inside the M25 - used to do Smithfield markets , Battersea , Vale Royal and Park Royal regularly about 20 -25 years ago with fresh meat and produce .Later I was in and out delivering precast concrete and steel to building sites and tube stations It wasn’t the place it was the attitude of the people more than anything else entitled , pushy, overbearing and little in the way of kindness or compassion . Like others if I’m never inside the M25 again I’ll be happy enough .

peirre:
Dozy is the resident expert on the Woolwich Ferry, he’ll even know where to get the duty frees onboard

Nah,.wrong one, it’s the ‘Woolworth Ferry’ doze favours. :laughing:

robroy:

peirre:

Wasnt it the Woolworth Fairy?

msgyorkie:

robroy:

peirre:

Wasnt it the Woolworth Fairy?

:laughing: Aye, you’re maybe right.

beefy4605:
Dartford or just south of J13 on the M25 .
Theres not enough money in the world to get me inside the M25 - used to do Smithfield markets , Battersea , Vale Royal and Park Royal regularly about 20 -25 years ago with fresh meat and produce .Later I was in and out delivering precast concrete and steel to building sites and tube stations It wasn’t the place it was the attitude of the people more than anything else entitled , pushy, overbearing and little in the way of kindness or compassion . Like others if I’m never inside the M25 again I’ll be happy enough .

To be fair there are plenty of nice rural areas within the M25 that have nothing to do with London so far.
While Hampton Court or Walton or even Kingston are a lot better and easier than getting through Burton on Trent across it’s laughable bridge for one example.

Thanks for the replies,I learn now just to use the m25 and work my way in from there

Sploom:
So I needed to cross the river Thames yesterday,difficult to find a route as it looks like all the crossings are 18 tonne limits.Are there any bridges you can cross apart from the Dartford?

Westminster is ok , Vauxhall , Southwark , Chelsea , , it’s a couple of years since I have used most , but did use Westminster then ran along embankment when heading east from bidfood battersea recently
I normally run in down edge ware road , can be a pain with traffic at times , but most places are these days
Was into London every day for years so doesn’t bother me , it’s just another place .

Some of the holier than thou who post on here just walk across without getting their feet wet…Amen