Any repercussions for attending drivers assessment?

Hi

I attended a drivers assessment this past week( on a pre booked day off). My employer is going to download my digi card at some point. Should I be bricking it now??

Anyone have the same issue? Seems abit wrong for drivers to put in this predicament. It’s practically anonymous to search for a job in any other industry.

It’s a funny one because I get why people get concerned especially if its somewhere where you feel there could be some funny business as a result, but in reality so long as you’re complying with rest hours etc there isn’t a lot they can say.

You “loose” your card on your day off and apply for a new one.

As said make sure you stay legal on the hours that’s the big issue here.

If the present employer makes life difficult for you because of this it only confirms you were right to seek employment elsewhere, a good employer would seek to address any issues causing you to want to move on if they could.

Thesuperiorone:
Hi

I attended a drivers assessment this past week( on a pre booked day off). My employer is going to download my digi card at some point. Should I be bricking it now??

Anyone have the same issue? Seems abit wrong for drivers to put in this predicament. It’s practically anonymous to search for a job in any other industry.

This again, I just don’t get it.
Bricking it??
Seriously? :unamused:
No offence mate. but are we still at school here or what?, …
You’re an adult presumably trying to better yourself in an adult world,.they will be used to drivers coming and going over the years. :bulb:

What’s the worst they can do ffs,.apart from giving you a couple of dodgy runs,.and if they do maybe it’s a good idea to move on, rather than work for a petulant firm like that.

On the other hand it could work FOR you, ie. If they ask you about iit and why you want to leave, tell them the reasons you want to move, if they actually are a good firm who value you and actually do treat you like an adult, it could make them change and improve the situation or reason that is making you unhappy there in order to keep you. :bulb: :bulb:

msgyorkie:

You would REALLY do that?? :open_mouth:

msgyorkie:

What a stupid answer :unamused:

As long as your with in your hours and legal. . Don’t worry about it.
End of they day if they say something just tell them .
It’s obvious your not happy working where you are and want to leave.
So they call you in to explain. just tell the truth your looking for another job. Worst case they sack you which doubt would happen.
You maybe get some rubbish jobs as we all know how chilcidsh places are.

As mentioned above, not a lot they can do but just say you hired a 7.5t to move some stuff for a family member etc, or you drove the sister in laws horsebox to an event, there’s all sorts of reasons for using your card outside of your job.

GORDON 50:
As mentioned above, not a lot they can do but just say you hired a 7.5t to move some stuff for a family member etc, or you drove the sister in laws horsebox to an event, there’s all sorts of reasons for using your card outside of your job.

Why lie about the reason for the data on your card?
As Rob says, and what has been said many times before, if asked tell them the truth and ■■■■ the consequences. It may work in your favour and the current employer might listen to why you are wanting to improve your situation and do something about it

If the company use the downloaded information against you I would suggest it is them that need to be worried; just a mention of GDPR should quickly put an end to their inquiries.

Its your card and how and when you use it is up to you,as long as you remain legal. As you have said it was a pre-booked day,nothing to stop you hiring /borrowing a vehicle to carry out a “private” job of your own or for a friend, nothing going to show on your card to say it was an assessment for another job.

Thesuperiorone:
Hi

If your current employer is short of drivers it will be him that will be bricking it in case you leave :wink:
Edit, If you don’t want to tell him the truth, you could say you have signed up with an agency to get some ad hoc work at weekends because he doesn’t pay you enough/you are massively in debt/you need to pay for your daughters wedding/etc and they want you to do an assessment at one of the clients.

shullbit:

Thesuperiorone:
Hi

If your current employer is short of drivers it will be him that will be bricking it in case you leave :wink:
Edit, If you don’t want to tell him the truth, you could say you have signed up with an agency to get some ad hoc work at weekends because he doesn’t pay you enough/you are massively in debt/you need to pay for your daughters wedding/etc and they want you to do an assessment at one of the clients.

Again why would you do that??
Make up some elaborate web of lies when there is no need, just be straight.
Apart from that some firms don’t like you working at other places whilst employed by them, not to mention the legality side of things concerning weekend rest periods etc.
Just tell his employer he’s considering leaving due to reasons x, y, and a, as I said what’s the worst he can do?
I really can not see the problem unless we are dealing with some kind of timid snowflake…not saying the o/p is,.as I know nothing about him, but like I said this is Grownup World ffs.

Your only problem would be if it affects the hours you can work for your employer, eg turning a full weekly rest into a reduced rest.
As long as you’ve not made yourself unavailable to do the work you’re contracted to do, there’s no problem, other than how they feel about people who might not want to stay with their company.

It’ll show up on the analysis software as a non-fleet vehicle, which is likely to result in a question, the DVSA would certainly question your TM about it if they paid a visit. Personally I’d just be honest and tell them: “I’m not certain I want to stay with your company”.

robroy:

shullbit:

Thesuperiorone:
Hi

Again why would you do that??
Make up some elaborate web of lies when there is no need, just be straight.
Apart from that some firms don’t like you working at other places whilst employed by them, not to mention the legality side of things concerning weekend rest periods etc.
Just tell his employer he’s considering leaving due to reasons x, y, and a, as I said what’s the worst he can do?
I really can not see the problem unless we are dealing with some kind of timid snowflake…not saying the o/p is,.as I know nothing about him, but like I said this is Grownup World ffs.

Just giving the lad some advice, who mentioned breaking the law regarding rest periods?

Thesuperiorone:
I attended a drivers assessment this past week( on a pre booked day off)

Regardless of advice, how did the assessment go ?, do you think you want the job if offered ?

I get your concern, as had crap bosses before both in small companies and large, and the fact they can be imature take offence and then make your remaining time akward, or difficult, and even worse when you then decide you want to stay,

so would be honest about the assesment and point out the positives of that role for you, and this is why you went for it,

but not the negatives about the current role and why you want to change, as then they wont get defensive, if they say dont you like your current role, say you like it even if you dont, but the other role offered (insert postives here, that they cant offer, maybe location, etc…), then at least means nothing changes in current role, if you dont move on, and they dont need to change anything to keep you, basically its not highlighted, with any conversations like ■■■ thinks this place is ■■■ and wants to leave, all they can say is ■■■ wants to change due to they get ■■■ with that role…

good luck.

robroy:

msgyorkie:

You would REALLY do that?? :open_mouth:

You surprise me robroy, always had you down as someone who had a resistance to the regime.

A phone call along with £19 hey presto new card.
Along with a letter basically saying look after it better and don’t make a habit of losing it or else.
If you say your digital card has been stolen they will want a crime ref.
That’s easy just ring the police and ask for one.

Somebody picked my pocket officer, last Sunday it was ask the missus.

I’ll admit to doing the above for my own nefarious reasons, it was cheaper than any fines I may have incurred had the ministry decided to investigate.

Don’t get your ■■■■■■■ in a twist about it.
You got to get by, by hook or by crook.

What’s to worry about? You’re hardly a tenant farmer, ■■■■■■■ the boss off isn’t particularly worrying. That’s if anyone even notices, how big is the company? Did you break hours law by doing it? If not it’ll probably go by unnoticed, companies don’t really look all that hard at what you’re doing if not flagged up in my experience

TonkaBoy:

Thesuperiorone:
I attended a drivers assessment this past week( on a pre booked day off)

Regardless of advice, how did the assessment go ?, do you think you want the job if offered

good luck.

I was told I’d passed and would hear back this week.
Firstly I had to pass a theory test followed by a walk around checks. Then we departed on a 45 minute drive before finally some coned manoeuvres in the yard. I thought it was pretty thorough although it was my first driving assessment. Never had the privilege of needed to do one before. Definitely worth the experience atleast

Thanks for asking mate and yeah it more money and closer to home. Preloaded lorry and drivers mate for assistance. Not sure I can find any negatives aside the fact the lads I work with are a great bunch