Looking for new job what sector to go for

Ideally it would be days, start around 6am. finish before 5pm, predictable hours on most days (+/- 1 hr), weekends ok kind of (no saturdays). Multidrop or trunk don’t really care but prefer trunk due to more predictable times. Should be recession/depression proof or at least not get totally obliterated, no ADR tankers because they all either are short term contracts and rotating shift patterns (no no)

Salary I’m looking for 800-850 before tax per week or £16-17 per hour. Maybe farm work on tractors or bulk potato etc,? Supermarkets or parcel (do they even have days?)

Only you can determine what sort of Company or type of work you want,only problem you might get is long standing drivers doing the good jobs and you having to bide your time as a “newbie”

I’ve just taken a jump, notice went in this evening, back to agriculture. started off before I left school, pigs and tractors. Could go backwards with a trailer before I did my exams. Decided that transport, although really good money, isnt where I want to be to retire. Got a decent mixed role on a 2000 acre farm, mostly tractor work with a little bit of pig work and 3.5 ton pick up delivering other products through the winter with a lot less hours. Although I havent done farming for nigh on 30 years, my transferable skills worked very well in my favour.
Less money but end of the day its less hours and less stress.

lolipop:
Only you can determine what sort of Company or type of work you want,"

I’ve never seen such a detailed set of requirements, literally right above your post. Did you read it? He’s asking which company/sector provides it.

Fuzrat:
I’ve just taken a jump, notice went in this evening, back to agriculture. started off before I left school, pigs and tractors. Could go backwards with a trailer before I did my exams. Decided that transport, although really good money, isnt where I want to be to retire. Got a decent mixed role on a 2000 acre farm, mostly tractor work with a little bit of pig work and 3.5 ton pick up delivering other products through the winter with a lot less hours. Although I havent done farming for nigh on 30 years, my transferable skills worked very well in my favour.
Less money but end of the day its less hours and less stress.

Thanks for your life story. Question, does it relate to the op? Maybe the £800-850 bit?

Where do you get the idea that trunking provides predictable low hours v multi drop.
It’s more likely that trunking will involve unpredictable finish times.
As opposed to a multi drop job in which the guvnor will provide a set finish time to minimise the wage bill but all bets are off regarding the work load.

You want 45k? Start at 6, finish at 5 and home every night. You want this on a permanent basis

Carlsberg don’t do do HGV driving jobs but if they did …

I dare say if it’s out there those in the know may not post about it on an open Internet forum.

Supermarkets/Retailers may be your best bet

Jimmy McNulty:
You want 45k? Start at 6, finish at 5 and home every night. You want this on a permanent basis

I dare say if it’s out there those in the know may not post about it on an open Internet forum.

I guess that such a day trunking operation might exist.
But either way hub systems are far more unpredictable regards duties and finish time than just direct depot to depot trailer swaps.
As for 45k probably closer to half that.

Edit- Can’t be bothered

Jimmy McNulty:

Had to read that twice.

Far too sensible to be posted on here :laughing:

crunch13:

Jimmy McNulty:

Had to read that twice.

Blag the arse out of the job for a month,.max out continuously get all the hours in you can for that period.
With the extra cash. then look into getting tickets for road machines,… much more money in that game than this ■■■■, and after your month doing excessive hours you’ll be glad to get away from it.
You’re welcome :sunglasses:

Sorry but you’re dreaming if you think you can tick all them boxes. Maybe if you lower your wage expectations by 25-30% but i doubt that job would be recession proof.

Ps let me know if your do find it :wink: :laughing:

Carryfast:
Where do you get the idea that trunking provides predictable low hours v multi drop.

Because it does?

Not in my experience and that includes everything from the night trunking I do at Howdens to pallet network, parcel companies, manufacturers and whether you’re tipping and reloading or just trailer swapping. When I do my changeovers running up to Scotland it’s typically 9hrs - 9hrs 15 minutes shift the vast majority of the time. There may be the odd one that’s longer but it’s generally because there’s been an issue and it’s rare to go an hour over. Night trunking for parcel companies you’ve generally got a fixed departure time and for pallet networks you’ll usually be working to a range within an hour.

ETS:
Ideally it would be days, start around 6am. finish before 5pm, predictable hours on most days (+/- 1 hr), weekends ok kind of (no saturdays). Multidrop or trunk don’t really care but prefer trunk due to more predictable times. Should be recession/depression proof or at least not get totally obliterated, no ADR tankers because they all either are short term contracts and rotating shift patterns (no no)

Salary I’m looking for 800-850 before tax per week or £16-17 per hour. Maybe farm work on tractors or bulk potato etc,? Supermarkets or parcel (do they even have days?)

Look at companies that run their own fleets but don’t make money out of transport or DHL/Wincanton contracts for large companies where their vehicles on that job are exclusively doing that work so that’ll usually be things like Next, Screwfix, Wilkos etc. Pallet networks are now doing day trunk runs to the hubs.

Day pallet runs tend to hit set times but it will take a week for you to work out what they are

How about DPD? They do deffo run to set times but it’s a lot of hanging around

Money won’t be quite what you want I don’t think

robroy:

crunch13:

Jimmy McNulty:

Had to read that twice.

Blag the arse out of the job for a month,.max out continuously get all the hours in you can for that period.

With the extra cash. then look into getting tickets for road machines,… much more money in that game than this [zb], and after your month doing excessive hours you’ll be glad to get away from it.

I do agree with your sentiment but…

Having done plant in another life, a good wage does usually still involves excessive hours and time away from home unfortunately. Definitely not recession proof either.

I could afford to have my tea in Wetherspoons back then though :laughing:

crunch13:

robroy:

crunch13:

Jimmy McNulty:

Had to read that twice.

With the extra cash. then look into getting tickets for road machines,… much more money in that game than this [zb], and after your month doing excessive hours you’ll be glad to get away from it.

I do agree with your sentiment but…

Having done plant in another life, a good wage does usually still involves excessive hours and time away from home unfortunately. Definitely not recession proof either.

I could afford to have my tea in Wetherspoons back then though :laughing:

I’ll be converting you back next. :laughing:
Sorry mate I also mentioned you(not by name btw :smiley: ) in the ‘London pub’ thread :blush: ,.I’ll knock it on the head. :laughing:

Conor:

Carryfast:

Because it does?

Not in my experience and that includes everything from the night trunking I do at Howdens to pallet network, parcel companies, manufacturers and whether you’re tipping and reloading or just trailer swapping. When I do my changeovers running up to Scotland it’s typically 9hrs - 9hrs 15 minutes shift the vast majority of the time. There may be the odd one that’s longer but it’s generally because there’s been an issue and it’s rare to go an hour over. Night trunking for parcel companies you’ve generally got a fixed departure time and for pallet networks you’ll usually be working to a range within an hour.

Yes fixed departure times.

My experience after limiters was firstly no way to make up lost time to traffic delays especially running outward from London in the evenings.That would then put you into the traffic running back into London in the morning any issues you’d then run out of driving time.
Also the rare event of a delay in trailer/box loading either the outward, or the return.Or an intermediate drawbar trailer collection outward like the Luton to Dewsbury trailer in my case which obviously doubled the odds of it happening.But more often the outward trailer or box from base at Feltham sometimes could be waiting there for an hour or two after starting at 8pm.
Hub systems all bets are off.By definition if one trailer is late in then the whole operation, which means everyone, is also running late from that point.Sometimes could still be transhipping loads at Nuneaton at 4.30 am having arrived there at 10pm.
Drivers expected to handball loads during that time.

Conor:

Carryfast:

Because it does?

My experience of trunks / changeover to Scotland were hours sat at stainmour / brough/ Penrith etc waiting for the jocks to arrive , and multiple phone calls asking if you could get to Gretna / arndale water to help them out as they were running hours behind , odd phone call can you head up / deliver as there not going to get there
And I know jocks aren’t the sharpest tools in the box , but why you’d carry onto wetherby srvs when you’ve been told to change at stainmoor I’ll never know , add on ringing to say will change at carnforth when I’m coming from Grimsby etc etc
Mind they don’t speak English so I guess it could all get lost in translation

drover:
Sorry but you’re dreaming if you think you can tick all them boxes. Maybe if you lower your wage expectations by 25-30% but i doubt that job would be recession proof.

Ps let me know if your do find it :wink: :laughing:

I must be dreaming then…

I’m allied to the construction industry so not entirely recession proof but otherwise more or less all boxes ticked.