Driver expected to also stack shelves, is this for real?

Has anyone worked I think it a Starbuck/Gist contract ? or something like this…

Im sure Ive misunderstood someone during a brief bar chat, explaining their current role, and maybe over exagerating, but

Are the drivers having to take the goods out the cages now and actually stack the shelves

this cant be right surely… as its a whole new level of driver expectation

If true, Shelf stacking multidrop… just so they dont have to employ shelf stackers on a night rate ■■..absalutley taking the ****

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Carryfast will be beside himself and telling us how it will break the drivers’ backs. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I got a couple of shifts via agency when newly qualified ,they sent a lad out of the warehouse to unload and stack shelves (I felt guilty and gave a hand to push trolleys into the store)
They offered me the job full time ,but I was expected to do the job solo. Needless to say I declined .

Sure I’d do it. I just have to warn you I might not be as efficient as your average experienced shelf stacker therefor it may, just might take me a tiny bit loooooonger to do the job :laughing: assuming I’m on an hourly rate

1979…

As a Miller’s Pies van boy, my driver and I were told we had to put the product on the shelves.

We just drove off and left the product on the loading bay.

Never got asked again.

ITS TRUE… whats next mop and bucket clean the floor for them, claimed to be “clean up after delivery”, when reality reducing staff… its wrong on so many junctions

isnt there a saying …“be better off shelf stacking, well you are…and driving… .” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Star down under.:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: Carryfast will be beside himself and telling us how it will break the drivers’ backs. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:open_mouth: :grimacing: cheers Ray

Nothing shocks me anymore. In Lidl I’m expected not only to tip myself (which actually I don’t mind)but also wheel all the products into the racking shelf, and separate it all by date and type (and that I do mind).

Neetsneets:
Nothing shocks me anymore. In Lidl I’m expected not only to tip myself (which actually I don’t mind)but also wheel all the products into the racking shelf, and separate it all by date and type (and that I do mind).

In Asda you’re expected to self serve at the checkout or wait 20 mins in line and still pay 10-20-30% higher prices on most things every week AS A CUSTOMER so no wonder a ‘‘lower’’ tier chain will try its hardest to exploit customers&employees alike

I worked for a food delivery place for a bit where the driver took care of the displays in store while restocking but the commission on sales meant I didn’t moan about it in any way :wink:

Most of the cage drops we do, just wheel the cage into the store. About 20% of the time, we have a handball. Where you empty the contents out into the storeroom/aisles.

This is usually because you cannot physically wheel a cage into the store.

On Monday, I had 17 cages which were handball over 3 stores, and 2 more normal drops. Nearly 7hr drive time, and 6hour other work.

Doesn’t bother me, it’s what I get paid for.

Yesterday, which was my overtime day/rates, had 5 nice easy drops just wheel the cages in. 6hour drive time, 4hr other work. Nice easy day.

Some good days, some bad. Get paid decent either way. 99% of the time the stores help you anyways when it is a handball drop

Muddy K:
99% of the time the stores help you anyways when it is a handball drop

When I did a bit on agency doing Boyes stores it was a similar thing. They knew it was crap so they gave you a hand wheeling full cages in and bringing empty/waste ones back out.

TonkaBoy:
“clean up after delivery”,
[/quote]
Afraid to say normal work for some coach drivers…

Paul

Many years ago I did rigid work for Palmer Harvey.
Had drivers mate with you and did corner shop newsagents deliveries.
Some had handall it into the cellar /store room.
Some had unpack cages stack it next to relevant shelves it was going on.eyc. wasn’t many drops really where you just left the full cages

Star down under.:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: Carryfast will be beside himself and telling us how it will break the drivers’ backs. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No just saying told you so.For a supposed ‘driver’ you seem strangely and unbelievably a bit too keen on the warehouse labourer job role.

Carryfast:

Star down under.:

No just saying told you so.For a supposed ‘driver’ you seem strangely and unbelievably a bit too keen on the warehouse labourer job role.

Oh god here we go, 15 pages of tripe and waffle from the failed lorry driver Carryfast to follow, with the usual warehouse deputies/site labourer crap.

tmcassett:

Carryfast:

Star down under.:

Oh god here we go, 15 pages of tripe and waffle from the failed lorry driver Carryfast to follow, with the usual warehouse deputies/site labourer crap.

Not unless you’re saying that I started the topic under a false account.
The irony when your definition of a lorry driver means the role of warehouse labourer to fill the unwanted unfilled vacancies and save the costs of hiring warehouse staff and minimise truck mileages.
Doesn’t bother me I’ve got no intention of driving trucks again.Good luck with the future of the industry that the government has planned for it.

Carryfast:
Doesn’t bother me I’ve got no intention of driving trucks again.

Probably for the best seeing as you have proven yourself unemployable in the lorry world for over 20 years and no employer will evidently touch you with a bargepole.

Carryfast:
The irony when your definition of a lorry driver means the role of warehouse labourer to fill the unwanted unfilled vacancies and save the costs of hiring warehouse staff and minimise truck mileages.
Good luck with the future of the industry that the government has planned for it.

I’m sure myself and the tens of thousands of drivers up and down the country who work in jobs where we do nothing of the sort of things you have brainwashed yourself into believing we do will be just fine!

tmcassett:

Carryfast:
Doesn’t bother me I’ve got no intention of driving trucks again.

Probably for the best seeing as you have proven yourself unemployable in the lorry world for over 20 years and no employer will evidently touch you with a bargepole.

To be fair even when he did have grand intentions he ultimately failed. At a time when it was almost impossible to fail too :laughing: