New rules for recording drivers activities [Merged]

Looks like new rules have been brought in regarding keeping records of all of your activities, specifically things like daily or weekly rest periods, annual leave or sickness.
Whereas you used to be able to keep track of this using a diary, this is apparently no longer acceptable and can now only legally be recorded one of three ways, these being a tacho chart, drivers digi-card or a printout from a digital device (tachograph printout).
This will likely mean a bigger change to occasional drivers than those who are full-time employed as they will need to have, and carry at all times, records of their work and rests. Quite how you’re supposed to prove you’re on a rest period while you’re away from work is beyond me, unless they’re expecting us all to carry and fill in blank tacho charts when on holiday or off sick, but these are the new rules to be aware of.
news.rha.uk.net/2022/06/09/tach … ntent.html

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Simple enough .

My company provides a stamped headed letter confirming dates of holiday or sickness etc, Tacho card shows rest for the same period.
Been controlled and it’s been ok in Europe, although never by vosa .

This will only impact those who don’t do manual entries. Those of us who do manual entries are fine and just have to carry on as normal. It does mean that those who do non-driving work who are used to just shoving in their digi-card and having it record rest since they last ejected the card are now going to have to do proper manual entries which record that non-driving work as they’re supposed to have done for years.

This isn’t something new, this is just a tightening up of the enforcement of the rules.

OwenMoney:
Simple enough .

My company provides a stamped headed letter confirming dates of holiday or sickness etc, Tacho card shows rest for the same period.
Been controlled and it’s been ok in Europe, although never by vosa .

The letter would no longer be accepted as proof, would need to be on the card. Problem is that it won’t be on the card until you’re back at work and can do a manual entry to cover the time away. This means that in the unlikely event you were asked to provide records while off work (or your company were asked to provide them) then theoretically you could now be punished for incomplete records

Conor:
This will only impact those who don’t do manual entries. Those of us who do manual entries are fine and just have to carry on as normal. It does mean that those who do non-driving work who are used to just shoving in their digi-card and having it record rest since they last ejected the card are now going to have to do proper manual entries which record that non-driving work as they’re supposed to have done for years.

This isn’t something new, this is just a tightening up of the enforcement of the rules.

I agree that it shouldn’t cause too many issues to those who do the job properly, the issue will mainly be for occasional drivers or agency drivers who will need to properly account for days off or in other employment rather than relying on diaries

So all the times on here I’ve answered posts to drivers who were ■■■■■■■■ themselves about tacho trivialities, with the standard reply of…‘‘Just because you have a licence, they don’t own you’’, now it seems as if they are moving towards that. :imp:
Wtf has it to do with the ■■■■■ when and how I spend my free time ffs.

As for the inevitable answer from some, of ‘’ You could be doing this that and the ■■■■ other’',.I was under the impression this country practiced an innocent until proven guilty policy,.whereby if they suspect something the onus is on them to prove it.

Ok,.I know it ain’t the end of life as we know it, but it s just another ■■■■■■■■■ liberty taken by those in authority.

No doubt the usual ones who come on here and justify said type of ■■■■ takes,…a la cab cameras etc :unamused: , will be on pointing out the merits of it,.and as usual doing the job of ‘‘the authorities’’ for them… :unamused:
Nothing surprises me about this job any more. : :imp:

This is complete ■■■■■■■■ & is going to get seriously complicated for some drivers working part time. You can’t record it on the card if you’re not working can you!
So if you only drive one day a week but do other work on the other days they will expect you to do manual entries onto your card /or take printouts for each individual day to record all hours worked, weekly tests, breaks etc…■■? :open_mouth:

Will be earning overtime with all them manual entries :smiling_imp:

Terry Cooksey:
The letter would no longer be accepted as proof, would need to be on the card. Problem is that it won’t be on the card until you’re back at work and can do a manual entry to cover the time away. This means that in the unlikely event you were asked to provide records while off work (or your company were asked to provide them) then theoretically you could now be punished for incomplete records

Theoretically yes, however in the real world this won’t happen so no need to panic. Theoretically you can be fined for 1 turn less than the landing legs will go, theoretically you can be fined if you go 1 minute over your driving time etc etc but in the real world that doesn’t happen when it actually comes to it though.

tmcassett:

Terry Cooksey:

Theoretically yes, however in the real world this won’t happen so no need to panic. Theoretically you can be fined for 1 turn less than the landing legs will go, theoretically you can be fined if you go 1 minute over your driving time etc etc but in the real world that doesn’t happen when it actually comes to it though.

I actually think there is a good chance of them looking to punish for this more than the other examples you gave.
If you take, for example, someone who only drives at the weekends as they work full-time during the week then previously they could enter the details of their other work in a diary (advice that has been given countless times over the years on here) instead of doing manual entries to cover all that information. Do that now and they could do you for falsification of records, which would be easier to prove and can carry larger penalties.
Agreed it’s still unlikely to happen, but probably something to be aware of, especially for occasional drivers

Last drove an HGV in November. If someone asks me to drive all of a sudden on a Friday, Oh yeah I’m sure I’ll be able to recall what I was doing on the Monday let alone several weeks ago. Shapps needs a smack.

Conor:

I was always told that a log book or tacho chart must show a continuous 24 record including manual entries as required.
But never heard of needing to keep records for weekly rest periods or holidays.

They’ve started enforcing it at our place. Slightly problematic when we shunt for one week out of eight which opens up a whole can of potential worms when attempting to do a weeks worth of manual entries on the following Monday. I cheated the other week by sticking my card into my allocated unit for the day and pocketed the keys. Not ideal but there ya go.

When I go back to work in September I won’t have driven a truck for six months, and if the VOSA think I’m going to do six months’ worth of manual entries on my first day back then I’m afraid they’ve got another think coming.

I’ve been out of the game for nearly 6months now due to a medical issue. I got a new job away from HGVs in the meantime which I’m really quite enjoying and last month I got my licences back from the DVLA. I WAS thinking of doing an odd day here and there to keep my hand in but I don’t think I’ll bother now! Wtf would anybody have anything to do with this god forsaken industry any more! I’ve been driving wagons for 35 yrs and the last 6months I haven’t really missed them one bit, bullshine like this just reinforces that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t panic, only need to do previous 28 days of manual entries. Can be written on the back of print out roll. Manual entries on a VU for 28 days are tricky. Or just chance it and cop the £300 fine if stopped.

Harry Monk:
When I go back to work in September I won’t have driven a truck for six months, and if the VOSA think I’m going to do six months’ worth of manual entries on my first day back then I’m afraid they’ve got another think coming.

No. You’ll only need to do so for the prior 28 days and if it was rest for 24 hrs a day X 28 days it’s not exactly difficult in your specific case. One manual entry = rest until now = yes.
I feel sorry for all new drivers. They will most likely need 28 days notice before they can start work, or pretty much accept that they are starting off illegally - as I must have done if this has been law for nearly 2 years.

Wildy:
Don’t panic, only need to do previous 28 days of manual entries. Can be written on the back of print out roll. Manual entries on a VU for 28 days are tricky. Or just chance it and cop the £300 fine if stopped.

And there we have it, same old same old, the usual ‘‘cashing in’’ routine, the usual ridiculous and disproportionate to the ‘‘crime’’ obligatory ■■■■ fine. :unamused:
I couldn’t be arsed to read all that ■■■■■■■■ in the o/p’s link, but I might have guessed it. :unamused:

robroy:
So all the times on here I’ve answered posts to drivers who were ■■■■■■■■ themselves about tacho trivialities, with the standard reply of…‘‘Just because you have a licence, they don’t own you’’, now it seems as if they are moving towards that. :imp:
Wtf has it to do with the [zb] when and how I spend my free time ffs.

Nothing. It’s what you do with the time you’re doing something else that is work which is legally required to be recorded under the drivers hours rules to ensure you’re meeting the legal requirements for daily and weekly rest.

Or are you saying you condone running bent, doing things like going to work at a day job from 8am to 5pm then jumping in a lorry at 5.30pm and doing a 12hr shift?

Conor:

robroy:
Wtf has it to do with the [zb] when and how I spend my free time ffs.

Nothing. It’s what you do with the time you’re doing something else that is work which is legally required to be recorded under the drivers hours rules to ensure you’re meeting the legal requirements for daily and weekly rest.

Or are you saying you condone running bent, doing things like going to work at a day job from 8am to 5pm then jumping in a lorry at 5.30pm and doing a 12hr shift?

Seriously?
Aye,.whatever, if that’s how you wish to interpret it. :neutral_face:
Where as in reality,.‘‘what I am saying’’ is what I actually said… :bulb:

So Conor, from Memory ONLY you know exactly what you were doing a month ago? There’s a coconut in it.