Can your office/TM tell you when to take your 45?

Say you have a regular run 4hr or so drive then break after arrival but you feel like taking the break before/earlier (you dont have 4hr drive back but less cause you’re taking a shorter way back)
Can they??

They can tell you to wear suspenders and a bra, but would you? (actually, don’t answer that)

It’s down to you mate. You’re the one carrying all the responsibility of driving a heavy goods vehicle. If you crash and burn a family because you were driving tired, who takes the blame? Your office, or you? Try telling the judge your office “told you to take a break when they wanted you to have one”. The office would deny it, and the judge would throw the book at you.

Tell your office, politely, that you’ll take a break when you feel the need, then do it. You’re the driver. You’re the captain of your ship.

It’s not unreasonable to expect four hours continuous duty, particularly from the start of a shift. It enables schedules to be created, enabling higher productivity.
If you work in a more structured environment, i.e. warehouse, office, factory or bus driving, break times are designated.

Star down under.:
It’s not unreasonable to expect four hours continuous duty, particularly from the start of a shift. It enables schedules to be created, enabling higher productivity.
If you work in a more structured environment, i.e. warehouse, office, factory or bus driving, break times are designated.

I see what you’re saying but I should mention my break is unpaid so it should be up to me, I feel, when and where to take it

Star down under.:

Nearest thing to our job on your list is bus driving,.I’m assuming you mean local short runs rather than long distance, where there is not a lot of scope for driver fatigue.
The rest on your list, …if you feel tired the only person you can potentially affect is yourself, especially the factory worker on production, on this job you could end up first item on News at 10.
Breaks are there for YOUR benefit, not to be worked around to get a job done or meet some tight arsed ridiculous schedule set by incompetent management wanting the last drop of blood…,.although I suspect like everything else in this job drivers have agreed to it and rolled over to the point to.where that is now what it is like in many jobs in the industry… :unamused:

Way I see it take your break when ever you want. if you decide take it early to avoid rush hour traffic .because your tired. Or you want call into local cafe that you know does good food etc.
Take it when you want.
As long as you have enough time to complete your days work not an issue.

In your case though you say 4. Hours there less back .
As long as get run done with out having to stop for a second 45 min break can’t see it matters really

Back home so here’s the sit:

I have a run starting 20:00 scheduled to leave 20:30 (always on time) planned arrival time at first depot 00:30 however it’s only a 3 hour drive so I assume my break is planned into this time as subsequent stops don’t allow for it (time/schedule wise according to my run sheet)

Therefor I’ve been arriving at 1st stop around 23:30 for a long time (chosing to postpone my break) but one day every week (same day each week) I’ve asked my TM to let me start 21:30 which he agreed so for the last month I’ve been getting at 1st stop around 00:40 once a week (same day every time so the receiving depot know beforehand)

Apparently though someone over there didn’t like this sort of preferential treatment a mere driver gets so they complained and main TM said to my depot, no more. My TM was kind enough to put me on a different run that one day of the week when I want to start late so it’s all good however I’ll have my revenge :smiling_imp: on the snitches at 1st drop by simply taking my 45 break shortly before I get there to prove my point - now they’ll be receiving me at 00:20-00:30 4 nights a week and once a week they’ll be getting the other driver who I presume will not rest and get tehre 23:30

Hence I wanted to know before hand if any issues might arise like legally mostly…I’ve no idea why the arrival time matters as it doesn’t hence it’s planned for 00:30 originally but no one complained when I was showing up 23:30 however now I show up 00:40 once a week and all of a sudden it’s a problem?

I think a manager should expect you to take a break when he tells you to…provided…safety isn`t compromised.
No different to any other work environment: follow reasonable instructions. Do as instructed unless there is a compelling reason not to.

I dont think that a 4 hr drive is excessive and wouldnt normally cause serious fatigue. I reckon that if that is the case a ten or fifteen minute stretch and gulp of coffee would sort it out.

Ed. Posted at same time as updated post above.

To me sounds like recieving place has complained.
Years ago used work in warehouse. On a roata involving night’s.
After about 1am everthing was done untill about 4 .so used get our heads down have a long break etc

And I’d guess you arriving later that usual your eating into there downtime and they don’t like it

edd1974:
And I’d guess you arriving later that usual your eating into there downtime and they don’t like it

I think you’re right because I find them sleeping in their parked cars sometimes when I’m late. However they also get another driver around 00:45-01:00 (he only brings 1-2 pallets) so it really sounds to me like they’re just trying to make my life sour.

ETS:
scheduled to leave 20:30 (always on time)

ETS:
planned arrival time at first depot 00:30

ETS:
I’ve asked my TM to let me start 21:30 which he agreed so for the last month I’ve been getting at 1st stop around 00:40 once a week

ETS:
when I’m late.

`nuff said.

4.5 hours is a limit not a target, if you are tired after say 3 hours you should have a break then, driving tired is as dangerous as drink driving, it is you who will carry the can if you have an accident, not your manager. brake.org.uk/get-involved/t … er-fatigue
If you are tired why not split the 45, have 15 minutes at say 2.5 hours then 30 at 4.5 hours its amazing what a 15 minute break can do if you totally chill out for the full 15, or go for a little walk for some fresh air.

shullbit:
If you are tired .

He’s not tired, he wants to take revenge.

Well in my eyes you’ve been getting there a hour early and that suited them, then when you start your shift later you’re late they don’t like it, next thing they’ll do is reject the load out of spit if your late.
But even when you take your 45 on route on the other nights your still in effect going to arrive early so nothing they can say.
And I suppose as long as you can still carry on and not need another break your firm won’t be bothered oh I’ll guess you’ll soon know if they are.

ETS:
Say you have a regular run 4hr or so drive then break after arrival but you feel like taking the break before/earlier (you dont have 4hr drive back but less cause you’re taking a shorter way back)
Can they??

oh for the days of family run haulage company’s
my old boss was a fair but firm guy, As a driver he knew what the score was and left us to do the job which we all did,
he always backed us up if we had a problem ,And likewise we always ran that extra mile for him…it was the same with the office guys they knew what was doable and when times where quiet left us alone knowing that in busy periods we would work our socks of .Swings and roundabouts that worked both ways

stu675:

shullbit:
If you are tired .

He’s not tired, he wants to take revenge.

I know, but I am answering the question… ‘‘can my manager tell me when I have to take my break?’’ so my reply is relevant. Don’t let others dictate when you have your break, if you are tired then have a break.

This was happening a lot, especially with larger firms, when i was driving 12 years ago. Used to get a computer generated run sheet with breaks set out. Other times the company would put a lot of pressure on to get back because they were waiting for the goods/truck.

Although driving for 4.5 hours shouldn’t be a problem for anyone as long as they are wearing a high viz :laughing:

Companies, especially big ones seem to go over board with somethings like putting on hazard lights when in a yard, making the warehouse/driving staff wear high viz clothing, safety boots and so on yet ignore advice like stopping every two hours for a break and not wearing heavy footwear while driving.

4.5 hours can be a long time to sit behind a wheel without a break, especially at night or in traffic.

I’ve had jobs where you get a run sheet with breaks planned in, I never really took a great deal of notice. The way I look at it, so long as you have the truck where is needs to be at the right times, it doesn’t make a jot of difference to the office when you are taking a break so just have it when you want.

The only exception would be if you are carrying high value goods, in which case they might want you to stop in designated places and/or when empty which is fair enough.

Star down under.:

Not “unreasonable” why should a Driver have to go 4 hrs without a tea break because he does not have a designated break time like anybody else.
Are you one of those people that works max time without a break because the law allows you to, like 6hrs because you have not driven 4.30 :question: :unamused:

`nuff said already.