Can your office/TM tell you when to take your 45?

keepthefaith:

ETS:
Say you have a regular run 4hr or so drive then break after arrival but you feel like taking the break before/earlier (you dont have 4hr drive back but less cause you’re taking a shorter way back)
Can they??

oh for the days of family run haulage company’s
my old boss was a fair but firm guy, As a driver he knew what the score was and left us to do the job which we all did,
he always backed us up if we had a problem ,And likewise we always ran that extra mile for him…it was the same with the office guys they knew what was doable and when times where quiet left us alone knowing that in busy periods we would work our socks of .Swings and roundabouts that worked both ways

Yep. That’s one of the main reasons I now work for such an outfit, instead of the corporate which produced a plan of when I should have my break but failed to factor in enough time for said break to happen without tipping off the card.

My current boss’s attitude is, that within reason you take a break if you are feeling tired, and arrive late rather than having an accident and not arriving at all. That having been said, if anyone starts to make a habit of it, questions are asked as to why that driver is tired, and he’d better have a bloody good reason!

As to whether or not four hours of continuous driving is “reasonable”; I have seen government advice to car drivers that it is good practice to stop every two hours; something that’s endorsed by the AA. Whilst it is true that we, as HGV drivers, are probably more used to driving for longer periods, it doesn’t mean that this is a good thing. As you get older, your bladder tends to be the arbiter of when you stop for a break anyway!