General license help

Morning good people.
So I’m returning to the land of driving again once had medical and sorted cpc.
So quick question if you can help me please.
To get some funds together I’ve applied for a van driver job which I’ve got but assessor said I cannot drive as license has expired, I found it a little odd that the 4b date was exactly the same as the date my CE ran out but couldn’t get hold of DVLA to check so went yesterday and paid for renewal at post office thinking that’s going to be best way as I don’t have a passport.
Managed to speak to DVLA just now and woman told me that the 4b date is in fact the date my CE expired and I’m fine to drive.
Could anyone check on their license for me to see if same on your own ie 4a to 4b is only 5 years and that 4b is same date as CE expire date.
Cheers good people.

4b is the date your licence runs out.
It may be because your photo runs out of date then? But whatever the reason, it appears to be illegal for you to drive anything after that date.

gov.uk/guidance/changes-to- … categories
“the date in 4b will show the licence expiry date”

Franglais this is what I found odd but the lady at DVLA was adamant I could still drive car, van etc and stated that date was just that as that’s when my CE expired.
I’ve read everything on their web that’s why I’m asking on here for people to check theirs and clarify if it’s the same for them or different will probably only apply to the over 40’s also.

As Franglais and the assessor said 4b is when your licence expires and you cannot legally drive anything until it’s renewed.

If the lady at the DVLA told you that you can continue to drive either there was a misunderstanding on the phone or she was talking nonsense and should be retrained :frowning:

Trucker Ed:
Franglais this is what I found odd but the lady at DVLA was adamant I could still drive car, van etc and stated that date was just that as that’s when my CE expired.
I’ve read everything on their web that’s why I’m asking on here for people to check theirs and clarify if it’s the same for them or different will probably only apply to the over 40’s also.

I do see what you mean.
The entitlement on the back for cars etc is much later (70th birthday) than the date 4b expiry of licence.
It would make more sense to me, if the licence was valid (4b) until 70th b`day, but the HGV classes etc were still only valid until the date on the back. But common sense has little to do with it.

The entitlement means you are allowed to hold that class of licence, it isn`t an actual licence in itself.

I wonder how many drivers have let their HGV etc slide, and are actually unlicenced now?

That`s how I see it anyway.

Trucker Ed:
Morning good people.
So I’m returning to the land of driving again once had medical and sorted cpc.
So quick question if you can help me please.
To get some funds together I’ve applied for a van driver job which I’ve got but assessor said I cannot drive as license has expired, I found it a little odd that the 4b date was exactly the same as the date my CE ran out but couldn’t get hold of DVLA to check so went yesterday and paid for renewal at post office thinking that’s going to be best way as I don’t have a passport.
Managed to speak to DVLA just now and woman told me that the 4b date is in fact the date my CE expired and I’m fine to drive.
Could anyone check on their license for me to see if same on your own ie 4a to 4b is only 5 years and that 4b is same date as CE expire date.
Cheers good people.

Yes. When I passed my CE this year, my 4b date was reduced from march 2030 to Jan 2027 (I’m over 50)

The licence itself is no longer valid because it is passed the photo expiry date BUT you can still legally drive all the current categories on it

It is one of those weird legal things

ROG:
The licence itself is no longer valid because it is passed the photo expiry date BUT you can still legally drive all the current categories on it

!
I wonder how that works outside the UK if one is on holiday etc? The UK authorities may interpret it this way but do others?
“Honest Officer, just because my licence is out of date doesnt mean its not valid any more”

Im not saying ROG is wrong, I dont know otherwise, but it makes no sense at all.

Having different dates, on the back, for different classes makes sense to me.

stu675:
. When I passed my CE this year, my 4b date was reduced from march 2030 to Jan 2027 (I’m over 50)

Is true, but makes no sort of sense at all. By passing a truck test, the licence for cars has been shortened.
Maybe the UK will accept the dates on the back, but I don`t expect other countries to behave in the same illogical way.

Bizarre.

ROG:

Not according to this article on the .gov website you can’t.

Edit: Just to add that I think there was a concession because of Covid that allowed drivers to continue driving for a given period with an expired licence as long as a new licence was applied for before the licence expired, I don’t think that is any longer in place but it wouldn’t apply to the op anyway because his licence has already expired.

Well. I shall be 70 in August 2023. My HGV and PSV categories expire in October 2022 as does 4b. When I sent off my licence last year the D47a clearly stated that I did not need to renew the photo so I didn’t, even though the date on the photo showed otherwise. This now shows expiry in October 2022.

The expiry date for all other categories shows October 2024 when I shall be 71 and 2 months. I shall await my D47a this year with interest.

This thread has just prompted me to look at my licence. What does the 4a date represent?

I’m assuming (hoping) that it was the date of my last medical.

the maoster:
This thread has just prompted me to look at my licence. What does the 4a date represent?

4a is the date the licence was issued.

Spot on. Thank you. I had that stomach drop feeling when I read 2018 :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:

As Tachograph just said
4a is the date your current licence was issued.

(That is different to the date you passed your test, or gained an entitlement. That is shown on the back.)
4b is (age over 45) 5 years after that, or (age 65) one year later.

That date (4b) will correspond to the date your current HGV expires.
Your car entitlement will be some time after that (your 70th birthday) but we are saying you cannot use that entitlement because the licence is invalid from the date 4b.

cav551:
Well. I shall be 70 in August 2023. My HGV and PSV categories expire in October 2022 as does 4b. When I sent off my licence last year the D47a clearly stated that I did not need to renew the photo so I didn’t, even though the date on the photo showed otherwise. This now shows expiry in October 2022.

The expiry date for all other categories shows October 2024 when I shall be 71 and 2 months. I shall await my D47a this year with interest.

Yes, the car entitlement, on the back may well be Aug 2023, when you are 70.
But if the date 4b on the front says Oct 2023, then the licence expires then. You cannot legally drive even a car from that date.
Yes, you have an entitlement to hold a car licence, but the licence you have is expired. It is not valid.
If you get a medial and renew your HGV/PSV, then all good. If you dont get a medical and renew your licence youll need to apply for a new licence to legally drive a car.

If you think thats stupid, so do I, but that seems to be the way it is being done. It would make more sense (IMHO) to keep 4b up to 70th bday date and just vary the class dates on the back.

ROG:

I don’t think my photo will expire in 5 years (it was originally valid until 2030). But I guess I’ll wait and see what they want me to renew in addition to a medical in 5 yrs time.

Franglais:

If you think thats stupid, so do I, but that seems to be the way it is being done. It would make more sense (IMHO) to keep 4b up to 70th bday date and just vary the class dates on the back.

I think they should keep the 4b as the 10 year anniversary of your photo. But I guess they want to make it even more prominent when your hgv/psv license expires, even though that is on the back?

Right all I’ve been on phone twice with DVLA today.
And indeed as ROG said the date on front 4b is when my hgv medical expired so that represents the expiry date on front.
I’ve also rang up couple of mates who’s license both only have 5 years between 4a and 4b just as the lady at DVLA explained to me.

No I agree it makes no sense whatsoever as looks to many that license had indeed expired and yes it would make more sense to just attach those dates to relevant categories on back of license.

So that there is the explanation in black and white for everyone who wasn’t sure like myself.

Thanks for all input all.

I`d like to see the DVLA personnel explaining all of that a Car Hire desk in AbroadLand.
Or to a Police Officer in ForeignLand.

:smiley:

Maybe I’m missing something but nothing I’ve read in this thread shows that you can still legally drive when the date at 4b has been passed, I wasn’t aware that they align the licence expiry date with the HGV expiry date but I don’t see how that alters the fact that when the 4b date has been passed the licence has expired and you cannot legally drive.

What am I missing ? :confused: