tacho question

Hi everyone, I usually work 12 hours shift or less, so I don’t have a problem managing my breaks, but I’ve always wondered how you manage your tacho when it comes to doing a 14 or 15 hours shift?

JJtruck:
Hi everyone, I usually work 12 hours shift or less, so I don’t have a problem managing my breaks, but I’ve always wondered how you manage your tacho when it comes to doing a 14 or 15 hours shift?

Exactly the same as a 12 hr day my man.

Don’t work more than 6 hrs without a 15 min break. Don’t drive more than 4.5 hrs without a 45 min break. Make sure you’ve had at least 45 mins break by the time you finish your shift.

Entirely possible to do a 15 hour shift with just a 15min and a 30 min break if taken at the right time. (Not saying you should or have to before anyone starts :laughing: )

JJtruck:

As said, managing your breaks for a 15 hour shift is pretty much the same as managing your breaks for a 12 hour shift.

Driving breaks are exactly the same regardless of the length of the shift, I suppose the longer the shift the more you may need to plan your breaks for the 6 hour rule but apart from that there shouldn’t be any difference at-all.

:laughing: thanks guys for your help,
i thought the same but for some reason i thought it might work differently after 12 hours

A longer shift means you’re more likely to come up against your 9 or 10 hour driving limit. That is not always displayed on the tacho head, and I’m not sure when the 15 min warning would appear? Would it flash up before 9 hrs if you have a 10 available (but maybe you want to save your 10’s for later in the week). Fortunately I drive a brilliant Actros which replicates the tacho in the dashboard and shows total driving time for the day. (Also for the week, I think the tacho head shows the fortnight)